What book are you reading...

Caporegime
On the last of the Conqueror series after reading the Emperor series. My god it's terrible in comparison. Uninteresting characters, dull battles poor character stories. I will be glad when I'm done now.

Soldato
Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that the classic scifi "greats" of Asimov, Niven and Clarke don't release their main novels on kindle :p

They drove scifi but can't escape from print :D

Soldato
Isn't that down to the publishers? The authors may not have publishing right for e-books in their contracts, and the publishers won't sort out electronic versions for old books.

Soldato
Just finished Wolves of the Calla, straight onto Song of Susannah, I wot ;)

I'm 50% through Wolves, the whole series so far has bent my mind. Ive never cared for characters from a book as much as this and they have elevated (in my opinion, for what its worth) Kings status to that of Tolkien.

Soldato
I'm 50% through Wolves, the whole series so far has bent my mind. Ive never cared for characters from a book as much as this and they have elevated (in my opinion, for what its worth) Kings status to that of Tolkien.

It's a superb series, I can see why King calls it his magnum opus... He can really build up characters well, and I've come to love all of them (especially Oy :D )

I started the series without any research into what to expect, and it's one of the best things I've read to date :)

Soldato
I've always been tempted with the series but heard its a but hit and miss. Is it worth a read? Looking for a good big series to get stick into.

Its hard to be subjective newts because I love them, I lost myself in the forth book (Wizard and Glass) and was genuinely gutted as it played out. Its hard to say its marmite when you are on the side that loves it.

Associate
currently re reading The Great North Road, by Peter F Hamilton, just finished the nights dawn trilogy same guy... but if truth be told i really want some more Space opera, you know, sex, battles, aliens, techno babble etc etc, just can't seem to find any like that other than Hamilton... though i admit i've given up looking :\

Soldato
Neal Asher, Richard Morgan, Alistair Reynolds, Iain M Banks, Charles Stross, Jack McDevitt, Paul J McAuley, Larry Niven, John Varley, Frank Herbert.

You must be able to find something amongst their books.

Associate
I've always been tempted with the series but heard its a but hit and miss. Is it worth a read? Looking for a good big series to get stick into.

Yes! I actually felt sad when I finished because I felt I'd become so involved in their lives! Wind through the Keyhole (kinda a filler book) is also very good.

Reading the Amber Spyglass again. I'm trying to read 100 books this year and ive been writing them down when I finish so I can keep track. On book 5 so far which isn't too bad considering I do actually work full time! If I didn't I can read about a book and a half per day (average size book).

Soldato
I worked it out I'm down to about 30-40 books a year these days with the kids and everything. Early twenties I was 80-100 every year :p

Wish I could read at the same rate still as there's so much I still want to read.

Associate
No2newts- That's why i'm kinda doing it. Ive always thought I read about 100 books a year but would like to know for sure. There's books ive had for years and I'm not buying any more until I read them. I'm also trying to get rid of some books and don't feel like I can do it fairly if ive not read them.
I develop an attachment to my books and I find it so hard to get rid of them (3 over filled bookcases) but it needs to be done if I want more and I refuse to read books on a kindle or on my phone/tablet its just not the same :(

Last edited:
Associate
Freefall: A Sniper's Story from Chechnya by Nicolai Lilin. Don't know if it's just how Russians naturally are, or just how their syntax works, but even a snipers translation can seem pretty poetic.

Soldato
No2newts- That's why i'm kinda doing it. Ive always thought I read about 100 books a year but would like to know for sure. There's books ive had for years and I'm not buying any more until I read them. I'm also trying to get rid of some books and don't feel like I can do it fairly if ive not read them.
I develop an attachment to my books and I find it so hard to get rid of them (3 over filled bookcases) but it needs to be done if I want more and I refuse to read books on a kindle or on my phone/tablet its just not the same :(

Yeah I've got 3 overstuffed bookshelves and about 500 books. Like you I'm trying to finish what I've got and also finish off series I've started but then moved on to something else. That should do me about 20 books then move on to something new.

Associate
About to finish book 5 of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series.

Enjoying it so far, but after reading 5 books, I am a little daunted by still having to read 9 books to finish the series!

Considering how far the characters have come so far, I can't imagine what they will be like by the end.

Back
Top Bottom