What book are you reading...

Soldato
Rainbow Six
Clancy at his best, all the action and none of the put me to sleep boing political waffle :)

Finished Old Mans War, Ghost Brigades and Last Colony by scalzi which were pretty good, currently reading the shoal sequence by Gary Gibson which is pretty enjoyable too.

Soldato
Well, I got the second book in the First Law trilogy (Before They Are Hanged) at Christmas, and read that in the space of a couple of days. Absolutely loved it. So, the next time I was in Preston, I decided to pop into Waterstones and pick up the third. Alas, they had none in, and.me being the impatient so-and-so that I am when it comes to books, decided to pick up another of his books to tide me over; Red Country.

So I happily start reading, then realise this is actually set 5 years after a big war and is this Cosca and Superior Pike actually the same guys from Book 2 and oh dear oh dear. That was it then, I couldn't read any more. Sure, it may be standalone from the plot of The First Law trilogy, but there's just enough threads that I recognise to make me feel dirty for reading out of continuity. In my defense, I had thought it was completely standalone.

Oh well.

I moved onto Memories of Ice instead, picking up from where I had left off several months ago. For some reason I had stopped mid-book (I think it got a bit slow), but oh my word. Coral. I never had time to stop and collect my thoughts, it was breakneck reading.

With that finished, that's another book to buy, on top of First Law No3, Painted Man No3, and the rest of Gemmell's Waylander books.

Soldato
If you aren't desperate to keep up with the painted man books I would wait until number 4 before you get 3.

No spoilers but it ends in such a manner that you really want the next book straight away.

Book 4 has been announced and titled "The Skull Throne" but at the moment release date is just sometime in 2015, nothing specific.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In my defense, I had thought it was completely standalone.

None of his books are completely standalone. Best Served Cold (for example) introduces a load of new characters, but also brings in characters from The First Law, who then re-appear in The Heroes. To be fair, this usually involved more in-depth looks at people who had been minor players in the previous books.

Soldato
None of his books are completely standalone. Best Served Cold (for example) introduces a load of new characters, but also brings in characters from The First Law, who then re-appear in The Heroes. To be fair, this usually involved more in-depth looks at people who had been minor players in the previous books.

Indeed great series.

Release info on his next trilogy is even more sketchy he regularly updates his blog and has said he roughly aims for 2016 but nothing definite and in the meantime 2015 he will drop a short story compilation.

Soldato
Brent Weeks: Shadow's Edge (2nd one in the trilogy)

The series is "OK", not the best, but not crappy enough to quit on.

ps: Recently "stuck" with "Gentleman Bast*rds series when I wanted to quit "The Lies of Locke Lamora", but turned out absolutely brilliant. Some really choice language used in the books too :D

Man of Honour
Misspent Youth , Peter Hamilton.
On page 200 ,thank god its only half the size of his normal books because its crap .

Peter Hamilton is a massively over-rated author, but that probably is his worst book. It's a while since I read it, but I remember actually feeling embarrassed for him having written it. I've just finished the Rendell, and next up is "The Holy Machine" by Chris Beckett. "Dark Eden" was a great book, but I don't know much about this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree about Hamilton too. I love his Nights Dawn work but the few others I have tried I have out down and given up about halfway through and it takes a hell of a lot for me to give up on a part read book.

Associate
I'd agree about Hamilton too. I love his Nights Dawn work but the few others I have tried I have out down and given up about halfway through and it takes a hell of a lot for me to give up on a part read book.

I completely agree - the non-Night's Dawn books would be massively improved by some decent editing. Cut out all the rubbish and thereby drop the page count by 50% and they'd be fine.

Associate
Just finished Emperor of Thorns. Mixed feelings about this one, a lot of respect to the author for finishing it in 3 a he said he would and respect the fact he hasn't tried milking it but I really felt the series could have had another book or benefited from another writing direction. The end was a but wishy washy after being so focused and whilst it was an interesting ending and I liked it it seemed a but lacklustre how it came about.

Was also disappointed how he marginalised a lot of the characters too, especially Gorgoth who had slowly built up a really interesting story line.

Good series all told but a bit undecided about the ending.

Onto Raising Steam by Lratchett now, last of my Xmas books.

I adored The Broken Empire trilogy :)
Looking forward to Mark Lawrences next trilogy, The Red Queens War. The first book, Prince Of Fools, is out on June 5th

Currently reading, A Thousand Sons (Horus Heresy #12)

Associate
Just started re-reading 'The Shining' prior to reading 'Doctor Sleep'. It must be nearly 30 years since I first read it. So far it's as good as I remember it, definitely King at his best.

Back
Top Bottom