What book are you reading...

Associate
Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King,a real enjoyable read.A change from his standard "horror" genre, but very good none the less,definitely my favourite King novel to date,but I am yet to start DrSleep so time will tell.

If you've not a read a SK novel I would highly recommend this.5*

Soldato
I've just finished The Prestige by Christopher Priest (there's a film of it which I haven't seen)- that was really good.

I'm reading The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin now- that seems pretty good, so far.

Soldato
Just finished Emperor of Thorns. Mixed feelings about this one, a lot of respect to the author for finishing it in 3 a he said he would and respect the fact he hasn't tried milking it but I really felt the series could have had another book or benefited from another writing direction. The end was a but wishy washy after being so focused and whilst it was an interesting ending and I liked it it seemed a but lacklustre how it came about.

Was also disappointed how he marginalised a lot of the characters too, especially Gorgoth who had slowly built up a really interesting story line.

Good series all told but a bit undecided about the ending.

Onto Raising Steam by Lratchett now, last of my Xmas books.

Soldato
totally agree with you newts.

The David Eddings books that went on for ten ended up feeling like Eastenders or Corrie you can't just end them there were too many characters and sub plots that after 10 books the whole thing feels unfinished and after 10 books you are left with a "so that's it" feeling.

I've decided not to read anything that's more than 3 books long in future.

At the moment I'm listening to (on audible) Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold which is set in the First Law world after just finishing the First Law Trilogy. Steve Pacey's narrative is first class and the series is great with some interesting characters.

I'm currently reading Sinema:The Northumberland Massacre by Rod Glenn, good book I'm about 1/3 of the way through good characters and some horrific scenes with some funny scenes as well.

Just finished Human Remains, by Elizabeth Haynes was an ok book but nothing "wow" about it.

Tip would be to read Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) before seeing it in the flicks good book good pace and lots of twists.

Soldato
On the last of the Conqueror series after reading the Emperor series. My god it's terrible in comparison. Uninteresting characters, dull battles poor character stories. I will be glad when I'm done now.

I used to be like you but now I've learned if you aren't enjoying it just STOP reading really I know it's hard to do but once you accomplish this feat you'll become more picky about books and will get through more reads. :cool:

Associate
I've started reading 'Rosemary's Baby' by Ira Levin.
So far I'm really enjoying it, really liking the writing style and the way the creepiness is slowly ramping up.
I've never seen the film so will probably check that out afterwards.

Soldato
I come before you to admit a shameful truth. Having been badgered by a colleague into reading *sob* a 'management' book, I am now reading "The Checkllist Manifesto" by Atul Gawande. The horrifying truth is that it is actually really good and I'm enjoying reading it. Somewhere, an unsullied version of me is crying about how I sold out.

;)

Soldato
Right, I have had it for over 10 years sitting on a shelf, and amazingly I have never read it(despite reading pretty much everything similar), so tonight I am finally going to read Dune!

Man of Honour
Just started "The St. Vita Society" by Ruth Rendell. I can take or leave the Wexford books, but her other books are brilliant, and the books written as Barbara Vine are even better.

Before that was "Second Contact" by Mike Resnick. Resnick writes the same type of books as Jack McDevitt, only better, and twenty years earlier.

Before that was "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie. Interesting, but not his best. I spent too much time preaching, which is never a good thing. I can take a message, but I don't like it being carved in stone and dumped in my lap.

Soldato
Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan. I read up to Crown of Swords (or the next book) just over a decade ago, so everything is all new to me. Really enjoyed all the books thus far, and have managed to get through them in less than four months but:

Nothing is happening in Crown of Swords. So far he's taken 300-400 pages to write about 3 pretty minor events happening, all of which he could have covered in under 50 pages! I've just read a 43 page chapter where Egwene goes for a wander on her horse... and bumps into an old friend. 43 pages!

Soldato
Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan. I read up to Crown of Swords (or the next book) just over a decade ago, so everything is all new to me. Really enjoyed all the books thus far, and have managed to get through them in less than four months but:

Nothing is happening in Crown of Swords. So far he's taken 300-400 pages to write about 3 pretty minor events happening, all of which he could have covered in under 50 pages! I've just read a 43 page chapter where Egwene goes for a wander on her horse... and bumps into an old friend. 43 pages!

Sums up the last few Jordan efforts to be fair. Preservere though as it picks up when Sanderson steps in.

Caporegime
I used to be like you but now I've learned if you aren't enjoying it just STOP reading really I know it's hard to do but once you accomplish this feat you'll become more picky about books and will get through more reads. :cool:

Normally I'd agree, but the Empire series was so very good I stuck with this in the hope it would at least have some of the stuff I'd previously read about genghis. The first book Wolf of the plains was superb, the last 4 have been as good as the worst book of the empire series.

I would have done as you said but I bought the set :D

Back
Top Bottom