What can I do about a pesky tree? (parking issue)

Soldato
It's done 80,000 miles and is worth around 13K, If I am lucky...

We already have money saved for a mortgage, in a Lifetime ISA, but like I said as a company director I need 2 years worth of accounts to actually get a mortgage. Jeez.

Thanks to all those who answered the question and didn't just judge my lifestyle, with no actual information about me to go on.

Please provide full breakdown of monthly income and expenditure.

Caporegime
It's done 80,000 miles and is worth around 13K, If I am lucky...

We already have money saved for a mortgage, in a Lifetime ISA, but like I said as a company director I need 2 years worth of accounts to actually get a mortgage. Jeez.

Thanks to all those who answered the question and didn't just judge my lifestyle, with no actual information about me to go on.

So why are you worrying about a tree that you have put up with for the past 5 years when you are saying it will be a complete non issue in two years time?

Caporegime
Maybe you dont know, but trees tend to grow, and in 5 years they can grow a lot...

I have a tree at the bottom of my front garden which was trimmed with my neighbours consent. I actually loved it but insurance companies do not like trees more than 10 meters tall near the property. We have lived there 9 years now and it wasn't much smaller then. The tree in the OP was massive to begin with.

Caporegime
OP
So why are you worrying about a tree that you have put up with for the past 5 years when you are saying it will be a complete non issue in two years time?

Allow me to repeat the key information for you.

So far I've lived with it for 5 years with cars I've owned, but I will be contract hiring a car soon that has a panoramic sunroof and though I've been lucky with my cars, i'm concerned it could ruin the paintwork, and I won't be the owner of the vehicle.

Soldato
Few choices
1. Talk nicely to the owners and see what you can agree remembering as long as it is safe they have no obligation to touch it
2. Live with it and either cover your car or wash it
3 delay lease of new car until you have a place of your own saving loads of money while still driving a nice car
4 move.

The choice is yours, personally I'd just stick with your current car assuming no major issues you will save money and not have to worry about the paint on your rental!

Last edited:
Permabanned
but I will be contract hiring a car soon that has a panoramic sunroof

If its got a panoramic sunroof, then the roof will be mostly glass, and there will be substantially less paint on top to worry about.

You solved your own problem.

Alternatively wax the top of the car heavily, and the tree sap/anything else wont damage the paintwork, and you wont look like a tool asking your neighbour to hack their old tree down because some leaves are daring to land on the BMW.

2nd alternative would be Paint protection film applied to the bits of the car that are affected, a more logical solution probably.

Edit:- Just saw OP's update, renting and now moving to a contract hire for a new car?

This has all the hallmarks of financial overstretch.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're legally entitled to cut any overhanging branches back to the boundary, however I'd talk to your neighbour first and also ensure the tree doesn't have a preservation order in place.

Soldato
If its got a panoramic sunroof, then the roof will be mostly glass, and there will be substantially less paint on top to worry about.

You solved your own problem.

Alternatively wax the top of the car heavily, and the tree sap/anything else wont damage the paintwork, and you wont look like a tool asking your neighbour to hack their old tree down because some leaves are daring to land on the BMW.

2nd alternative would be Paint protection film applied to the bits of the car that are affected, a more logical solution probably.

Edit:- Just saw OP's update, renting and now moving to a contract hire for a new car?

This has all the hallmarks of financial overstretch.

Assuming he pays his rent then it wouldn’t be financial overstretch, it would be choosing to drive a decent car whilst living in a fairly modest house which he is totally within his rights to do. You’d have a heart attack if you lived in my area, most people’s cars are worth half the value of their houses.

Permabanned
I'm shocked that a tree has the sheer audacity to have grown over a parked BMW.
Assuming he pays his rent then it wouldn’t be financial overstretch, it would be choosing to drive a decent car whilst living in a fairly modest house which he is totally within his rights to do. You’d have a heart attack if you lived in my area, most people’s cars are worth half the value of their houses.

Isnt that just because the housing in Mexico is super cheap?

Soldato
I'm shocked that a tree has the sheer audacity to have grown over a parked BMW.

Isnt that just because the housing in Mexico is super cheap?

It is, but equally I know plenty of people who live in far nicer houses than mine, and have far cheaper cars. It's just a question of priorities, and there's no need to question the OP's.

Soldato
This thread is absolutely mental.

I agree, cutting a tree down completely has been suggested as someone who only lives there temporarily. The obvious choice is to employ a tree surgeon to cut it back correctly, or just put a cover over your car if you are that bothered.

Oh, with regards to paintwork finish on your vehicle when handing it back it will probably cost you less to pay a fine (if they bother) and a professional paint valet type affair, than hiring a tree surgeon. If you've never PCH'd a car before as long as it doesn't look like it's been grated and gouged they don't give two hoots most of the time.

Caporegime
OP
I agree, cutting a tree down completely has been suggested as someone who only lives there temporarily. The obvious choice is to employ a tree surgeon to cut it back correctly, or just put a cover over your car if you are that bothered.

Oh, with regards to paintwork finish on your vehicle when handing it back it will probably cost you less to pay a fine (if they bother) and a professional paint valet type affair, than hiring a tree surgeon. If you've never PCH'd a car before as long as it doesn't look like it's been grated and gouged they don't give two hoots most of the time.

Wait, what?

Where did I say I wanted it cut down completely?

My question was, am I legally entitled to ask the people whose garden the tree is in to do something about it - i.e. trimming it back.

Soldato
Wait, what?

Where did I say I wanted it cut down completely?

My question was, am I legally entitled to ask the people whose garden the tree is in to do something about it - i.e. trimming it back.

I said it had been suggested, not that you wanted to. Please re-read my post.

Yes you can ask but they don't have to do it, and you'd have to check the boundaries of the property to see if your parking bay falls under public or private land. If it is private then overhang can be cut back as long as you don't damage the tree, if it is public land then you may even have to speak with your local council.

Caporegime
OP
Oh sorry, i'm obviously on the defensive after some of the posts here criticising my entire life-style.

I mean, it's fine for someone to spend 3 hours at a weekend cleaning their car, but god forbid you want solutions to protect it from nature.

Soldato
Oh sorry, i'm obviously on the defensive after some of the posts here criticising my entire life-style.

I mean, it's fine for someone to spend 3 hours at a weekend cleaning their car, but god forbid you want solutions to protect it from nature.

Indeed, I suppose people's own opinions are a reflection of how they would do something rather than just black and white advice in given a situation.

Mrs has the same problem as you with her car, parked at work which is where it is more of the time than home. She has a cover in the boot for when it is really sappy, and full of birds, same panoramic roof too. :)

Back
Top Bottom