• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What card are you currently rocking?

Associate
OP
I had a 3080 Ti FE, which was of course noisy and heated up the whole room which wasn't great in summer. Don't have that issue with a 4090 as the fans spin so slow at around 1100rpm in games. The 5yr warranty is the deal stealer for me. I don't want this card to last as long as my OG GTX 980 did back in the day, 4 years or more!

You don't?

Interesting it's heat output is lower considering it's TDP is higher. It's probably not trying as hard!

Associate
OP
If your 3080 Ti FE is running at 70 during gaming then yeah the fans will not ramp up as loud, my 3080 Ti FE ran the fans up to 2100rpm in games like Cyberpunk. By comparison, the 4090 fans run at 1100rpm in the same game. The 3080 ti FE in my rig also ran at 80-82 degrees too in the same games, I like quieter gaming so my BIOS fan curves are geared towards only ramping up the cas efans if the CPU hits 65 degrees, which it never does in gaming, so in gaming the only fans I hear are the GPU fans, which on the 3080 Ti FE are indeed loud, whereas the Zotac 4090 fans, even in normal fan mode are quieter, but in quiet mode (which is what I am in) are even quieter still. My case is a Corsair 5000D Air with the meshed intake panel, so any noise is audible, but the plus point is its ambient cooling ability is very good as evidenced by my component temps, even with all my case and AIO fans running at 400-600rpm average.

Yeah compared to the 3080 Ti which always felt like it was at its peak labour point when running games especially with RT enabled, even with DLSS, the 4090 just cruises through like as if it's nothing.

Do you ever monitor GPU load while gaming? So how hard it is actually working?

Associate
OP
Yeah via RTSS. Cyberpunk is the only game that I've got in my library that really taxes any card so heavily. Most other games the card is still hittin that 98/99% utilisation but still running realy slack as it's not being stressed or because my 12700KF is the bottleneck so I have to make do with just 130fps or something like that lol. Here's what I've seen in testing:

FG off, PT on @ 3440x1440
j8UsusO.jpg

FG on, PT on @ 3440x1440
UrL3NMx.jpg

FG on, PT on @ 5160x2160
uw34E9F.jpg

With path tracing off but RT and SSR set to Psycho it's all trivial, always well over 100fps on psycho RT so it makes no sense to play with path tracing off any more where available with all this GPU power :p

Which DLSS setting are you using?

Associate
OP
It's on auto currently which I believe is somewhere lopped around balanced/quality. but manually setting to quality makes not a big difference to fps anyway nor picture quality thanks to the settings/resolution being used so I just left it on auto. Everything else on ultra, Psycho SSR.That's with path tracing by the way.

And you're getting 74 with PT at UW without frame gen? Wow.

Associate
OP
4090, I tried a 7900 xt but didn't get along with it and on nvidia side 4090 was the only gpu that made sence coming from a 3060ti.
It is ridiculously expensive even at the 1350 I payed but it is an absolute beast and hopefully will do me years.

What was wrong with the 7900?

Associate
OP
Spot on when undervolted with a small bump to fan curve in the middle. It's a chunky card, weighed in around 1,800g. So can get quite warm before fans need to kick in. I can't remember top of my head but sure it's in the 70s. And my case isnt made for airflow. I remember doing a none undervolted test pulling 300w whilst doing furmark extreme for 15 minutes and junction temp hit 86.

Cool thanks for that. What case airflow do you have? You mentioned it wasn't a focus.

Associate
OP
No worries. Just x3 140mm silent wings 3 fans (two intake and one exhaust). Front has sound deadening and a hinged door so it isn't open mesh or anything like that. Side is tempered glass. I do think I should get a better case like. I do have a triple rad on the top which could be helping expel hot air but still feel intake is constricted currently.

Good to know. I'm planning 2x 140mm intake and 2x 140mm exhaust. So hopefully enough for a top card. I can add a 3rd exhaust if needed.

Associate
OP
It’s been better than the TUF OC 7900 XTX and Nitro + 7900 XTX in that it’s had the least coil whine. The TUF was horrible ASUS cards seem to suffer the worst I went through 3 and the Nitro+ just had sone too that I could heat outside the case. I think probably my setup combination causes some of it but the Gigabyte seems to work best. They all have the same general performance the gigabyte has good temps 60 degrees GPU and around 85 on junction.
All these cards for same in terms of performance just get what works best for you.

Coil whine is such a lottery. Although I've not heard good things about Asus AMD cards and their build quality.

Back
Top Bottom