What desktop speakers are you using?

Soldato
Wharfedale D2S and I don't like them. I bought them as a cheapish replacement to some absolutely excellent Monitor Audio WS100 which died. I just want the new equivalent of those little cubes of excellence. Wanted the KEF Eggs but they only sell then in Hong Kong / Far East now.

Associate
Still using Logitech Z-680 from 2002? Still working fine and I'm not an audiophile so really no need to change.

Surprised they've lasted so long, fuse did go at one point, but once changed was as good as new. :D

Are wireless PC speakers a thing yet? lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Still using Logitech Z-680 from 2002? Still working fine and I'm not an audiophile so really no need to change.

Surprised they've lasted so long, fuse did go at one point, but once changed was as good as new. :D

Are wireless PC speakers a thing yet? lol

Buy these?

Associate
Just upgraded to Mission LX-1 MkII ;)
Arrived today DT770 first audiophile headphones ive listened too .. OMFG .. all my favourite music seems to have a soundtrack i didnt hear before
and am getting an upgrade to TOPPING L30 II headphone amp tomorrow :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Can someone recommend some active speakers. I listen to music all day in my small office at low volume but still like detail and separation. Can't be too big.

Associate
Can someone recommend some active speakers. I listen to music all day in my small office at low volume but still like detail and separation. Can't be too big.
Kef Lsx? or maybe the Dynaudio Xeo I think it is called. Or you can audition some small studio monitors like Yamaha, genlec and a whole bunch of studio recording type of speakers at a Music shop.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Went with the JBL 1 Series 104 in white. I didn't want to spend a ton as my music listening is casual and I never go loud. For £139 they seemed quite well priced.

Last edited:
Associate
I need to think about upgrading my own desktop speakers over the summer. What should I be looking for with passive speakers used at the PC, i.e. when the listening position is only a few feet from the speakers? With active speakers for example, you can get nearfield monitors. Is there a similar speaker type in the passive world?

Soldato
I need to think about upgrading my own desktop speakers over the summer. What should I be looking for with passive speakers used at the PC, i.e. when the listening position is only a few feet from the speakers? With active speakers for example, you can get nearfield monitors. Is there a similar speaker type in the passive world?

Yes there are passive nearfield studio monitors (speakers), but your better just getting active monitors. The better active monitors will have trim control that will help setup in the room.

Take a studio monitor such as the Adam Audio T series, you have both high and low frequency dB adjustment, electronic bi-amping, then the engineers have matched the amplifier to the speaker.

Top recording / mastering studios do sometimes favour passive monitors, but they have far more knowledge in setup than the typical consumer, plus their amplifiers and passive monitors are sometimes in the many thousands of pounds. Consumers in home setups are normally better with active monitors from a good manufacture where the individual components (making up the entire active speakers) have been chosen to give best total performance for the budget that's available given the items final selling price.

Going back to the adjustments on an active monitor. Good recording rooms these are less important as the room is acoustically treated, plus they will have more freedom to physically move the speakers. When your room is not acoustically treated, worse your limited on your speaker placement, the adjustments on an active speaker (such as the Adam Audio above), they become more important for setup and synergy of the audio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom