What desktop speakers are you using?

Soldato
Klipsch are quite bright sound speakers so be aware of that.

I recommend q acoustic nice neutral speakers. I would recommend 3020i then use a small amplifier.

With active speakers you're limited with input options. With passive you can little t amp first. Then change to a avr. Then change the avr to new hdmi spec..or add a power amplifier.

You don't have that option with actives.
Don't need those options TBH, but thanks for the advice.

Soldato
Don't need those options TBH, but thanks for the advice.

Also if amp inside those actives fail you have useless speaker (until get replacement panel) bit by the time it dies you'll find amp is no longer available.

But if anyone of regular amps die you can simply pull it out and slide in a new amp.

Plus able to use passive speakers as you don't need power cable close at hand ie use them for rears or atmos height, and speaker cable is cheap.

Active speakers have benefit they are usually biamped, the better ones will be active crossovers (so one benefit over passive speakers )

Soldato
Active speakers have benefit they are usually biamped, the better ones will be active crossovers (so one benefit over passive speakers )

My home office / desktop computer, I use Bi-Amped studio monitors. For near field listening I much prefer them over passive bookshelf speakers. There is just more detail / quality in the sound, also mine are not over bright so can work all day while listening.

As I've said many times on this forum, secret to near field listening is speaker setup, especially getting the speakers to ear level. It's something that confuses me on this forum, people name drop the expensive gear they have purchased, then they post a photo of speakers just placed on a desk with little to no setup.

Soldato
My home office / desktop computer, I use Bi-Amped studio monitors. For near field listening I much prefer them over passive bookshelf speakers. There is just more detail / quality in the sound, also mine are not over bright so can work all day while listening.

As I've said many times on this forum, secret to near field listening is speaker setup, especially getting the speakers to ear level.

Monitor speakers are designed to be used close field. I'm just using pair of regular hifi passive speakers I had. Not sure what passive monitor speakers exist possibly BBC ls5 or something like that?

Since I have multiple sources, avr makes this much easier than active speakers since only one input on those

Soldato
Not sure what passive monitor speakers exist possibly BBC ls5 or something like that?

I have listened to Quested VH3208 passive studio monitors in a recording studio, sounded amazing but paired with a professional amplifier to match. So yes passive can be amazing, however for budget end bi-amped monitors normally still better than bookshelf speakers.

Again it's not just the gear it's the setup, and also the room speakers are in.

Man of Honour
Also if amp inside those actives fail you have useless speaker (until get replacement panel) bit by the time it dies you'll find amp is no longer available.

But if anyone of regular amps die you can simply pull it out and slide in a new amp.

Plus able to use passive speakers as you don't need power cable close at hand ie use them for rears or atmos height, and speaker cable is cheap.

Depends what your level of DIY ability is - most of the active ones I've owned would be relatively trivial to take apart and either adapt them to be passive speakers with a separate amp or find a suitable bare bones amp board to replace the built in one with. If you are just using them for desktop stuff there are a whole range of inexpensive boards which even include features many active desktop speakers don't always come with like Bluetooth support.

EDIT: This thread makes me wonder if I still have my Optimus pro X5 lurking somewhere - I loved those speakers as a kid!

EDIT2: Found some Realistic Minimus but looks like I got rid of the X5s shame.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends what your level of DIY ability is - most of the active ones I've owned would be relatively trivial to take apart and either adapt them to be passive speakers with a separate amp or find a suitable bare bones amp board to replace the built in one with. If you are just using them for desktop stuff there are a whole range of inexpensive boards which even include features many active desktop speakers don't always come with like Bluetooth support.

EDIT: This thread makes me wonder if I still have my Optimus pro x5 lurking somewhere - I loved those speakers as a kid!

If you have active speakers, and the amp died, you'd need crossover networks. You can't send full range signal to speakers without speaker crossover

Man of Honour
If you have active speakers, and the amp died, you'd need crossover networks. You can't send full range signal to speakers without speaker crossover

Unless both are powered rather than the amp being in one and the other passive - it is usually a pretty simple LC/RC filter setup easily copied unless you have some higher end speakers where it can be more complex.

EDIT: Depending on model it isn't uncommon for the crossovers to be separate boards to the main amp PCB anyhow.

Soldato
I used to share a flat with my friend who had the Mark 1s. Lovely little speakers. I'm looking to change up my WFH office audio right now myself. Having flirted with the idea of the Q Acoustic M20s or the Klipsch Heritage ProMedia 2.1 I'm once again leaning towards the Ruark MkIIs. They do everything I need in a smaller package than the others, whilst still sounding great.
I also like the Ruark MK1s, my brother gave me a set when my Corsair SP2500 amp died.

It's the size of speaker that was the main pull, since my desk space isn't that deep, it's nice to have smaller speakers that suit.

In the end though, I went to Richer Sounds and auditioned some amps and bookshelf speakers and glad I did, I was looking at the cheaper end, so QA 3020i's and DALI's offerings, I ended up with DALI Zensor Picos (which are now replaced by the DALI Spektor 1), these are surprisingly small and as large as you'd want for smaller desks, but the improvement over the Ruarks / Corsair SP2500 was pretty impressive, mind you the Amp cost a bit and then I added a £200 sub to round off what I'm pretty happy with (from a size and VFM point of view).

Soldato
I also like the Ruark MK1s, my brother gave me a set when my Corsair SP2500 amp died.

It's the size of speaker that was the main pull, since my desk space isn't that deep, it's nice to have smaller speakers that suit.

In the end though, I went to Richer Sounds and auditioned some amps and bookshelf speakers and glad I did, I was looking at the cheaper end, so QA 3020i's and DALI's offerings, I ended up with DALI Zensor Picos (which are now replaced by the DALI Spektor 1), these are surprisingly small and as large as you'd want for smaller desks, but the improvement over the Ruarks / Corsair SP2500 was pretty impressive, mind you the Amp cost a bit and then I added a £200 sub to round off what I'm pretty happy with (from a size and VFM point of view).
My desk is small too, so bigger speakers are a no go. What amp did you go with?

Soldato
Q acoustics bare very deep but width and height is low.

I think 3010i will be plenty for pc setup you're close to them so bass will be more noticeable. You can always add a sub later .

3020i are a bit more efficient

Man of Honour

Re-replying to this but for instance tear down of what were the popular Edifier 1600s here: https://youtu.be/Nh9gqpOGe7c?t=228

Fairly well put together but also lots of room for improvement - I'm somewhat tempted to mod mine. I can see the potential there for the cabinet vibration issues some people complained of and pretty simple to alter to a passive speaker.

Soldato
Re-replying to this but for instance tear down of what were the popular Edifier 1600s here: https://youtu.be/Nh9gqpOGe7c?t=228

Fairly well put together but also lots of room for improvement - I'm somewhat tempted to mod mine. I can see the potential there for the cabinet vibration issues some people complained of and pretty simple to alter to a passive speaker.

The vibration I had on mine was not obvious until you listened to another speaker. It was not an issue such as a fault, more I could appreciate a better constructed speaker over the Edifier.

It was the same with the 1600s tweeters, they were a little harsh, again I only noticed this once you used a speaker with a soft dome tweeter.

A basic thing to improve the Edifiers (as all speakers) is check the screws that hold the speaker drivers in place are tight, I remember the Edifiers being loose from the factory.

Soldato
No padding inside?? Man that's going to sound boxy

Guess transformer and padding is a safety no no

My Prodipe Pro 5v3's have padding around the transformers, however they also have thermal protection (thermal cut off), I know this as I opened them up and looked at the board. That said I don't leave the speakers on if leaving the house.

Associate
I recently changed to studio monitors from various hifi speakers and amps. For £300 for a pair, the Adam Audio T5V are mind blowingly good. I’m going to add either their Sub7/8 or T10S next

They’re amazingly musical too for a pro audio product. Might try the A5X’s (next range up) to see how they compare. Certainly opened my eyes (or ears!) to pro audio gear.

Added a Rode PodMic too and that’s amazing for £80.

Soldato
For £300 for a pair, the Adam Audio T5V are mind blowingly good.

Certainly opened my eyes (or ears!) to pro audio gear.
When you move from consumer level gear, to even entry level pro gear such as your T5V's, there is a whole jump in quality!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom