What development Software do you use??

Soldato
Deffo Sublime Text 2.

Must haves for me are Prefixr, Emmet, Advanced New File, Nettuts Fetch, jQuery Snippets and JSLint.

I personally think that anyone who doesn't use ST2 just hasn't given it a proper chance to see all that it's capable of. There's a reason it's quickly becoming the defacto editor.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Eclipse for me. It's been a few years since I did any proper development but although it's primarily for Java it has so many plugins that I tend to find one for whatever language I'm using.

Soldato
What are the shortcomings in the free version? The blurb on the site makes it sound like a time limited trial? Or is it the old shareware model that just relies on goodwill?

The only actual restriction on the free version is that after every x amount of saves, you get a popup asking you to upgrade to the registered version. (click cancel and it goes away)

It's a small annoyance, admittedly, but it's infrequent enough that one could use it as their main editor without ever paying for it. I think it's well worth the bit of cash they're asking though. It's just a great editor.
It's kind of similar to Chrome in that it's lightweight and fast while still having a great core feature set, but you can easily install a plugin to add any kind of additional functionality you could think of.

Speaking of which, I didn't mention in my post, but the first port of call for any fresh install MUST be Package Control. It allows you to search for and install plugins directly from within ST2.

Last edited:
Associate
for PHP, PHPStorm for big builds and Sublime2 for smaller builds and Notepad for quick edits.

I don't like PHP an awful lot though... I tend to use it for simple sites, it gets the job done quickly, apart from that I stay away whenever I can.

Soldato
ST2 and vim for quick edits when Im looking for things. Also use Eclipse for Android and I hate it cant wait for the new thing to come out. Will soon start Obj-c and using X-code.

Associate
Sublime text 2, with the SFTP addon. Great stuff, I'm going to be posting a blog post shortly with my specs about sublime text 2 and the good addon packages I use.

Associate
Visual Studio 2012 for C# / ASP.NET MVC, Sublime Text 2 for almost everything else (occasionally I use RubyMine if working on projects I'm unfamiliar with because the good intellisense helps).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom