What did you do to your bicycle today?

Caporegime
Took the single speed commuter apart. I just left the frame, fork and bars together, everything else came off. I gave everything a good clean and swapped out a few parts that were going rusty - brakes, stem bolts, pedals... I've just got to replace the seat clamp (the old one is rusty, along with everything else) then put some fresh cables on and then do the bar tape. It looks better for a good clean and some non-rusty bits.

I need to find some track nuts for the front that are small enough to fit inside the lawyer lips. The ones I bought to replace the old (rusty) ones are too wide. Boo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I quickly swapped out the Specialialized Toupe Gel for the default wider one that came with the Wazoo, just before riding to work this morning, in the hope of a bit more comfort and less grief from my right hip joint niggle.

Soldato
Built up a wheel this evening - had a mavic CXP33 in the shed for ages, so I bought a 105 hub and some spokes. Don't entirely need it, but it'll go nicely on the Dawes Audax I use as a loaner-outer/reserve work bike

The CXP33 is a lovely rim to build with, nice and stiff so it came up easily. Needs 14mm nipples though, 12 would be too short.

Associate
Went to pump the tyres up with my floor pump and, after lending it to the in-laws, discovered that all the rubber grommets had been pulled out and lost. They even had the nerve to say that the floor pump was rubbish because they were too bloody stupid to use it.

So now I have to pump them up with a pocket rocket. I'll be buying a new pump next month when I return from my holiday.

Fuming!!!

Soldato
Picked up a toolkit that fits inside my recently bought bike, washed the bike and applied a little dry lube.
Question for someone. I bought wet and dry lube of same type (muc off C3, buy one get one free). The bike is a commuter (folder) although bought for weekend pleasure too. The manual, which I've only just read, recommends a dry lube mentioning nothing about wet weather change to wet lube. The chain is only 60 or so miles old and is galvanised apparently. Instead of degreasing the still relatively clean chain which can remove the good factory lubricant apparently, I've just applied a little new dry lube, probably a little early.
Anyway, looking ahead, can these lubes be switched between easily as long as the chain is not too mucky or is one supposed to degrease each time first? I may just keep to the dry stuff anyway but just wondering.....

Soldato
you need to properly clean the chain before switching lubes. I just run a wet lube (finish line cross country) year round on my commuter - there's enough odd days of rain in this country to make it worthwhile

Soldato
Installed a new cockpit - Zipp SL70 Aero bars with Sprint SL stem.
What a night and day difference, I had bought some integrated chinese carbon bars that looked great but flexed way too much. New combo is stiff as a board and drastically improved the feel of the handling. Bit of a rush job because I needed to ride it in the morning, so will need to re-do and change cables/route them through the bars when I have some more time.

Back
Top Bottom