What did you do to your bicycle today?

Soldato
Fair play to ya! I've always just chucked the inner tube out after it has punctured. Doesn't really make sense to spend £3 to replace one tube when you can patch them up for much less!

Caporegime
I imagine a lot of people have been put off by trying to use rubbish kits at the roadside. That certainly wouldn't be my first choice, so I carry spares for that eventuality. Decent kits at home is a different matter.

Soldato
I imagine a lot of people have been put off by trying to use rubbish kits at the roadside. That certainly wouldn't be my first choice, so I carry spares for that eventuality. Decent kits at home is a different matter.

Got some examples of rubbish and decent kits?

I carry some Park Tool super patches for the road / MTB but only actually used on other people's tubes.. and they've worked. Haven't heard of them repuncturing.

Soldato
couple of years back I bought a few ex-Halfords stock ones on ebay (it was after they changed their branding, and someone had just crossed the Halfords logo out with a permanent marker)

as good as anything.

Soldato
Not very exciting, but got a Continental X-King protection front tyre to replace the XR3 Expert. 4-ply, kevlar puncture protection, faster rolling. Bit of a tyre geek. Got a Race King Protection on the rear. Ride XC.

Soldato
Picked my commuter up from its Evans free 6 week service/check-up and fitted light mounting brackets ready for the darker evenings.
Is a front reflector required by law during daytime? I know lights and rear reflector are required between sunset and sunrise but not seen anything about a front reflector. I've replaced the reflector and bracket with the bracket for the light and Brompton have provided a handle bar mounted reflector that looks fine but I think I'd prefer not to have it mounted on the handlebars so am tempted to remove it. I suppose it would be handy during low light conditions where lights are not yet on so maybe should just leave it on
Bikelights.jpg

Soldato
Moved saddle back a few mm... saddle comfort far better. Slightly more aero. Back comfort far worse. :(

Top pros get custom length stems so they can have the best of all worlds. it'd be nice if there were more 105, 115 etc options for us mortals.

Soldato
Top pros get custom length stems so they can have the best of all worlds. it'd be nice if there were more 105, 115 etc options for us mortals.
Actually not a bad point... I think my original Cube stem is slightly shorter than the deda stem I have on despite them both supposedly being 110mm. May have to give it a go.

I have a few new saddles arriving from Wiggle this week that I'll inspect for potential comfiness too. This Selle Italia X1 has never been great but recently I've found it terrible.

Soldato
Winter bedtime for my good bike - new bar tape (first time I’ve ever attempted that), greased all the headset bolts, greased the pedals, fixed the indexing and gave it a good clean. It can sleep happy now for 6 months!

Soldato
I'm currently trying to remove a Raceface Aeffect crank arm and it isn't having it. Feels like the 8mm allen key is going to snap before it budges. I heard a crack and thought it might have loostened, but its still just as tight. I wish I had an 8mm allen socket as I have a long heavy duty breaker bar in my socket set that would do the job. I think the flexing of the allen key is stopping it from breaking the bolt loose.

Back
Top Bottom