What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Yeah it’s definitely either time to get rid or at the very least just see the SV differently. Will start to have a browse around some bikes, but not sure if i’ll Actually replace it. CB1000R would be the front runners currently though I did see a very nice Kawa Z1000SX for sale. Could be a good option with wind protection just in case I need to ride the bike home at some point (Southampton to Manchester)

Get yourself added to the southampton bike night group on FB if you are not in it already. People are starting to post bikes up for sale

Soldato
Have you done some research on insurance costs (your profile indicates you're young) - full fat 1000cc is not the same pricing as your SV650... As Kreeeee says they're very different styles, I looked at the Z1000SX after my SV650S, didn't love it that much, prefer the new VFR800 (even if it's down on power etc...).

CB1000R was around the same insurance-wise (around £500 :( ) I think the SV is just going to stay for another 18 months then I'm in the middle East for 6 months with work. At that point I'll sell the SV and buy myself an R1 when I come back :D I'm reluctant to part ex/buy a new bike now only to lose money on it over the next 18 months then trade it in anyway.

Associate
I was thinking of the CB1000R but I think an MT-09 will be faster, more fun, more exciting and cheaper or on par.

That matches my experience. MT-09 would be way more fun in town, the motor feels a million times more raw, alive and grunty, whereas the Honda feels very... Honda. Turbine like, smooth and never feels fast (even though it is, obviously).

Suspension really lets the MT-09 down, which is a shame as it's so light and has a great chassis otherwise. It'd be left behind on a spirited ride in fast twisties. Easy to fix though.

For taking it easy and doing miles, I reckon both would be about as good. MT-09 has virtually no vibes at sensible cruise, didn't do any miles on the CB though.

Associate
Even the MT-09 SP has poor suspension, which is a shame as that kicks it out of my short list of bikes.

My 09's my "cheap" commuter after my Katoom 990SM-T got stolen. My "fun" bike's an S1KRR. If I was to have just one bike to do everything, I reckon it'd be an MT-10.

Although I'd be tempted to use the Beemer.... I'm just a bit too prissy about it to run it through winter.

Man of Honour
My 09's my "cheap" commuter after my Katoom 990SM-T got stolen. My "fun" bike's an S1KRR. If I was to have just one bike to do everything, I reckon it'd be an MT-10.

Although I'd be tempted to use the Beemer.... I'm just a bit too prissy about it to run it through winter.

The 90 mile tank range is the only reason I don't currently own an MT-10.

Last edited:
Soldato
You pay £500 for the SV :eek:

Yep :( :( :(

Something else to point out is that you don't have to jump to an R1 for improved performance over an SV. I went to a 21 year old CBR600F and it is easily faster than the SV

Improved performance isn't the reason i want the R1. The sound, the looks,yes the power i suppose, but the noise! I've wanted lots of bikes in just the 5/6 years I've been looking into or had bikes, but the big-bang R1 was the first one I really wanted and that still stands to this day. I have to have one, or at least cross it off the list.

Associate
Yep :( :( :(

Improved performance isn't the reason i want the R1. The sound, the looks,yes the power i suppose, but the noise! I've wanted lots of bikes in just the 5/6 years I've been looking into or had bikes, but the big-bang R1 was the first one I really wanted and that still stands to this day. I have to have one, or at least cross it off the list.

Agreed, it's a fabulous noise, but you can get that sound with additional benefits with a proper V4....

Soldato
Agreed, it's a fabulous noise, but you can get that sound with additional benefits with a proper V4....

But you won't really will you.. you'll get a V4 sound with a V4, crossplane sounds totally different when you're on it, don't get me wrong, both sound incredible, although stock sound on the new V4 is utter pants below 9k and even after that it's not great, unless its got a full system.

Pani V4 is a vastly different bike to ride as is the RF, both the R1 and RF feel like track bikes on the road, where as the Pani V4 feels like a road bike, it's typically Ducati so it's hot and uncomfortable, still an absolutely bonkers bike though, but needs a fair whack of cash thrown at it to really see it potential, much like all the new Euro 4 bikes tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
but needs a fair whack of cash thrown at it to really see it potential, much like all the new Euro 4 bikes tbh.

Yep, can't really see myself upgrading to anything from my '15 S1000RR, for exactly that reason- you have to spend a wodge of cash to claw all that lost performance back. Unless the manufacturers find some magic to get round Euro 4 (and 5, and 6..... ), although I doubt it. Forced induction anyone?

Back
Top Bottom