What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Got some paraffin and a squirty bottle to clean the chain last night. Seemed to do the job, and not any more messy than alternative solutions.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Attempted to charge the battery last night. 3.8V was showing on the display when I first connected the charger but an error message was displaying this morning when I checked the status :(

Soldato
WD40 chain cleaner goes through muck quicker and easier than Paraffin I’ve found.
I've used that stuff, didn't really notice, but I wonder if it's got something to do with how it's an aerosol which propels the fluid a bit more? Or is it the formula?

Soldato
WD40 chain cleaner goes through muck quicker and easier than Paraffin I’ve found.
Same.

Initially I used paraffin and it cleaned the chain but it was really messy.

I use WD chain cleaner now and it does a really good job and not nearly as messy. Bit more expensive though but not too bad considering I only clean my chain every 5 or 600 miles.

Soldato
It is about 50x the price, I use parrafin and it gets the chain nice and clean.

I've shunned stuff like sdoc gel cleaner, elbow grease for 99p and parrafin for me :D I save the money for decent waxes and shampoos.

Man of Honour

The only difference I noticed with WD-40 chain cleaner compared to kerosene was the cost! How were you applying the kerosene? I use a spray bottle to atomise the fluid.

Just went out for a 2 hour jolly up a mountain pass. I changed the tyre pressures and it made the world of difference. Factory tyre pressures are downright dangerous!

Soldato
The only difference I noticed with WD-40 chain cleaner compared to kerosene was the cost!

Just went out for a 2 hour jolly up a mountain pass. I changed the tyre pressures and it made the world of difference. Factory tyre pressures are downright dangerous!

So you brought the pressures down?

Soldato
Great ride out tonight - perfect weather and for some reason the low sun just seemed to add to it rather than blinding. I've a couple of weeks to go before the new tyres go on, so I'm trying to abuse the old ones as much as possible between now and then :)

cgNScO5.jpg

Caporegime
So not sure what to do with the ninja 250

The bike is fairly ****** and pretty kuch worthless (I dont think anyone would part ex it)

It's got Chinese fairings that dont match the tank, which is dented, the left is scratched and the right is cracked.

The front brake light switch is "iffy", the rear suspension is essentially made of rust and is sized solid, no idea if its the actual shock or one or morre of the bearings, probbaly everything.

It does however have a new chain and sprockets rear tyre and plenty of wear left in the front.

It's mot expired and it won't pass till the suspension and brake light is sorted.

It was a fun hack for winter but its now a bit of a nuisance as it takes up space and I think it would cost more than its worth to fix it.

But when it is fixed and running it would be a fun commuter and let me keep my new bike (not bought yet) tidy.

I'm tempted this weekend to just rip the rear suspension apart and see if I can clean it up/decrease enough stuff to get it moving to a point it can get through an mot and look around for a cheap second hand shock (found one aftermarket one normally 270+ on eBay for 84 plus 15 quid postage but like 2 weeks delivery time from itally).

I kinda feel I owe this bike, I got it as a tempory back but we've been through everything, including borderline suicidal 200 mile trips through a hurricane with that sized suspension lol.

So part of me says I should try and fix it.

But then another part of me says second hand rc390s are pretty cheap

Back
Top Bottom