• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Just look at the quality of convincing realistic lighting that's only possible with ray tracing:

Az0sYqK.jpg

gg6VhFg.jpg

I actually fired up Chaos Theory today to see if memory serves correct, that back in the day it looked great. It looks good, but it's a DX9 game using shader model 3, at today's resolutions ini file modded in (the game only supports max 1920x1080 with no native AA support only 2048 shadow size vs the ini modded 8192 along with some other stuff...)

It took a slew of mods to get the game looking like this:

YnRQuM1.jpeg

5h3i5Do.jpeg

JoHXVhQ.jpeg

JLjGjYi.jpeg

Yeah it looks decent given it came out 19 years ago, but it was cutting edge for its time with a very barren game world to interact with. The use of dynamic lighting is what made it really.

I recall a my GF4 Ti4200 at the time struggling to hit 60fps with the higher GFX settings enabled at the time, was on an LG Flatron CRT back then too so would have been playing at 1024 or 1600x1200 back then!

Last edited:
I actually fired up Chaos Theory today to see if memory serves correct, that back in the day it looked great. It looks good, but it's a DX9 game using shader model 3, at today's resolutions ini file modded in (the game only supports max 1920x1080 with no native AA support only 2048 shadow size vs the ini modded 8192 along with some other stuff...)

It took a slew of mods to get the game looking like this:

YnRQuM1.jpeg

5h3i5Do.jpeg

JoHXVhQ.jpeg

JLjGjYi.jpeg

Yeah it looks decent given it came out 19 years ago, but it was cutting edge for its time with a very barren game world to interact with. The use of dynamic lighting is what made it really.
It's too dark looking!!!!! :p

I think in terms of older games, the best ones are still alien isolation and batman Arkham knight (well it's lighting, shadows etc. are actually quite poor but it's better than most of the other games that came out at the time)

It's too dark looking!!!!! :p

I think in terms of older games, the best ones are still alien isolation and batman Arkham knight (well it's lighting, shadows etc. are actually quite poor but it's better than most of the other games that came out at the time

It's very dark in a good way, on an OLED it's giving the same CRT experience, just now in ultrawide and the lack of AA is way more obvious as a CRT masks that sort of thing due to the nature of what it is lol. I do like that anything that emits light can be shot or blown out. Something modern games could take notes on...

People expecting Cyberpunk levels of RT quality all the time, they are deluding themselves.

How long have Nvidia/CDPR been working on it to get to the level it has now?

I'll give it credit, it looks like a tech demo these days, difference being it that it's actually playable.

It's an outlier, not the norm.

And the state the game was released in?

Thoughts on RT really haven't changed, it's still poorly implemented in most games, there are very few good examples of it, which is unfortunate.

We need AMD to step up their RT performance, I do think they're limiting progress right now, no point in devs focusing on RT when one brand of graphics cards struggles with heavy RT workloads.

Last edited:
I like how Ray tracing looks when I turn it on, when I'm actively looking for differences it looks good... but when I actually get into a game and am not just staring at the lighting you could probably turn it off and I wouldn't even notice :p

Last edited:
Depends what type of frame rate you're looking for, if you've got a 240hz screen or thereabouts I'd think most setting would be barebones on more recent games.

I think Doom 3 would have made for a good ray\path tracing showcase, its the oddball of the doom games where they changed the pacing to a crawl vs the other games. And you only have a few enemies on screen at any one time, it would have been interesting to see what that looked like with rt\pt built into it. Maybe that's something for the future as they dabbled with it in quake.

You can definitely do it with a proper optimized game and a high end PC - of course. With a 5800x3d and 4080 I can't get 200fps+ even with raster in Cyberpunk, CPU is too weak. In Metro it can scale a bit better, but still, getting 200fps + is a no go.

DLSS (and perhaps FG) can help a lot. Around 120 should be relative easy to do.

Who cares if it's pre baked? It looks great doesn't it? I said SP Chaos Theory because it's an old game,and it still looks great. You sound like you should lay off the salt btw.

You care if you want something more than what that game offers.

You can definitely do it with a proper optimized game and a high end PC - of course. With a 5800x3d and 4080 I can't get 200fps+ even with raster in Cyberpunk, CPU is too weak. In Metro it can scale a bit better, but still, getting 200fps + is a no go.

DLSS (and perhaps FG) can help a lot. Around 120 should be relative easy to do.

You care if you want something more than what that game offers.

interestingly I tested this out just for laughs and here are my findings.

This is probably my most definitive comparison and really highlights how transformative PT is to natural looking lighting in a complex scene which would ne noticeable whether moving or standing still.

Bear in mind that ray Reconstruction only works when DLSS is enabled, it is not usable with DLAA since DLAA is only an AA method and is needed in order to remove jaggies vs leaving it off and runing without any AA.

So for reference, with only raster, at 3440x1440, with max settings and SSR set to Psycho, with all upscaling and frame gen off, but leaving DLAA on for AA, it's running at 71fps, on an RTX 4090 :o

Notice the GPU utlisation when FG is off but DLSS is on in Raster, compared against the rest. DOn't know if that's an engine bug or just those settings mean the CPU is doing more work, but the game looks sharper with DLSSQ enabled vs DLAA, so all the talk about DLSS being better than native is 100% accurate as demonstrated here.

I recommend anyone that disses upscaling/dlss from now on should be spoon fed this IMGsli link from here on so they can hopefully shut their yap from then on :p

Notice the GPU utlisation when FG is off but DLSS is on in Raster, compared against the rest. DOn't know if that's an engine bug or just those settings mean the CPU is doing more work:p

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but normally with FG, CPU will do less work.

I like ray tracing and believe it's the future for sure, but I am still not sold on having to use upscaling technologies and other workarounds to make it work at decent frame rates.

It still has some time to go.

Is ironic since rasterization is doing the same - it fakes. :D

Salty? :cry:

No just pointing out facts, as simple as that.

Again, do some reading on ray tracing to educate yourself on what it seeks to resolve.
You will definitely know more about it than I do. And I'm saying that genuinely. I know about light bounces of Ray tracing and that path tracing is direct and much more intensive than RT (I think) I'm trying not to argue with people at this point,so thank you for your reply. You should add some pepper with your salt though. Or a wee bit eh broon sauce.

Back
Top Bottom