• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Caporegime
"FPS/frame rate is king" yet calls a tech which provides the biggest fps boost with little to no hit in iq or as evidenced, often better than native a gimmick/crutch..... ok :cry:

And I see nexus with his standard post reaction, I'm only amazed he isn't off typing up more mindless diatribes for people to roll their eyes at, you do you, kid. :cry::cry::cry:

No point anymore when it's obvious said people keep the fingers in ears in order to avoid the truth and believe their narrative, the onus is on you naysayers to provide the evidence to debunk all the users/tech press who have evidenced exactly what I and others show, meanwhile there is never any evidence from this side of anti rt/upscaling/fg other than "trust me bro" and one liners of "it's a gimmick" :D :cry: :p

Like I always said before, it doesn't matter what the naysayers lot say anymore, upscaling, frame gen, RT is firmly cemented now and it's only going to become more prominent as time goes on with probably new methods of "cheating" being discovered and added, the white knight for the pc gaming scene i.e. amd are all in on this now too so there is no company left to support for you guys that won't be priortising dated methods of technology anymore, essentially "deal with it".

Associate
the onus is on you naysayers to provide the evidence to debunk all the users/tech press who have evidenced exactly what I and others show, meanwhile there is never any evidence from this side of anti rt/upscaling/fg other than "trust me bro" and one liners of "it's a gimmick" :D :cry: :p
Before I say this, I want to repeat that I am all for effective upscaling, the option of more performance (for possible visual impact, although this impact is decreasing) for more people is only a good thing. However, to note the impact of RT on framerate, follow this method.

Step 1 - Select benchmarking game
Step 2 - Enable RT
Step 3 - Play for a couple of minutes
Step 4 - Note average frame rate.
Step 5 - Same as steps 1-3, but disable RT
Step 6 - Note average frame rate.
Step 7 - Compare figures from step 4 and 6

Additionally, this test will also provide happiness levels.

If step 4 is higher than your desired framerate, success! You may have a Good Day.

If step 4 is not higher than your desired frame rate, oh dear. You will need a new GPU for RT. This can cost HUNDREDS. You will probably have a Sad Day.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Before I say this, I want to repeat that I am all for effective upscaling, the option of more performance (for possible visual impact, although this impact is decreasing) for more people is only a good thing. However, to note the impact of RT on framerate, follow this method.

Step 2 - Enable RT

If step 4 is higher than your desired framerate, success! You may have a Good Day.

If step 4 is not higher than your desired frame rate, oh dear. You will need a new GPU for RT. This can cost HUNDREDS. You will probably have a Sad Day.

Too complected imo. Here is my method :

Step 1 - Enable DLSS and RT
Step 2 - Enjoy the game :D

I don't even have a 4090 or anything, just a 4070 Ti with 12GB of vram and it just works. For me and my needs anyway :D

Caporegime

Step 2 - Enable RT

Here's my problem with this..... We have games which have no RT and run like ****, even worse than some games with RT. As shown time and time again, people seem to think RT performance hit across the board is equilvalent to running PT in cp, aw 2, quake rtx etc. maxed out at 4k with no option to adjust settings, use upscaling and you need a 4090 and everything else below that is **** and not worthwhile.... Everyone keeps their fingers in ears when it comes to games such as avatar, metro ee, spiderman 2 and countless other games where the RT runs very well given the visuals on display, even CP and AW 2 run very well with adjustments.

Too complected imo. Here is my method :

Step 1 - Enable DLSS and RT
Step 2 - Enjoy the game :D

I don't even have a 4090 or anything, just a 4070 Ti with 12GB of vram and it just works. For me and my needs anyway :D

Even me with a measly 10gb 3080 and it just works :cry: Only games so far where it really has struggled on RT/PT front that I've played are AW 2 and CP 2077 but alas, DLSS made it possible to play and enjoy even if at a frame rate lower than I like i.e. about 60 fps, frame gen mod takes it to 90+ though and I don't care if it is a "crutch", cheating or whatever, the end result is what matters and that end result of using dlss, frame gen with pt looks better than native and maxed out raster.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
This does not debunk my test. @TNA gets it, and is having a Good Day.

It's valid your "test" but as said, there are plenty of games without RT which run like **** so this kind of goes without saying regardless of RT. RT is simply the equilvalent to higher graphical settings of say ultra preset.

Associate
frame gen mod takes it to 90+ though.
This shouldn't be necessary. If you need to apply mods to things to get them to work at a desired level, this will be missed by a large chunk of purchasers (this is an enthusiast forum), which then perpetuate the impression of performance issues. It's self-defeating in a way.

RT is simply the equilvalent to higher graphical settings of say ultra preset
Correct, and this is kind of the point people are making about RT. The performance impact is too high, so they turn it off. Simple as that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This does not debunk my test. @TNA gets it, and is having a Good Day.

Yep. Loving it to be fair. Really glad I picked up this card. Seeing games run at 120-140w range is great.

Well worth it for the £575 I dropped on it even though I think it should have been a £499 card, but that is sadly just fantasy world these days. Nvidia wanted to call it a 4080 and charge double that. Cheeky *****! :cry:

Caporegime
This shouldn't be necessary. If you need to apply mods to things to get them to work at a desired level, this will be missed by a large chunk of purchasers (this is an enthusiast forum), which then perpetuate the impression of performance issues. It's self-defeating in a way.

Correct, and this is kind of the point people are making about RT. The performance impact is too high, so they turn it off. Simple as that.

If there is effectively free performance left on the table, why will I not use it especially when it is going to give me a better experience than without? Same with upscaling, people bang on about frame rate being king yet they refuse to use upscaling because of some sense of pc masterrace/elitist, "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" comes to mind here.

Again, what about the games where RT is used and has very little RT impact? Why are you and others ignoring such examples? This is just another pc masterrace/elitist kind of approach where people think you need to brute force everything, as shown, there are far more methods to achieve better results more efficiently. Heck raster graphics were just that, cutting corners in every way possible in order to look good and have good performance, in some ways, using some of the naysayers logic of "FAKE" "CHEATING" etc. they should in fact be welcoming and chasing for RT since it is far more "real" than raster :cry:

So we can agree, you want higher/better graphics, you simply buy a better gpu..... Simple as that.

Yep. Loving it to be fair. Really glad I picked up this card. Seeing games run at 120-140w range is great.

Well worth it for the £575 I dropped on it even though I think it should have been a £499 card, but that is sadly just fantasy world these days. Nvidia wanted to call it a 4080 and charge double that. Cheeky *****! :cry:

Yup, recent games are running very well now I find (even UE 5 ones) and dlss etc. is only getting better so I am finding my interest in these ££££ gpus dwindling big time to the point even a 5070 if decent bang per buck (would need to be at least 4080 level of perf to justify the move though) will be enough for me and my needs going forward.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yup, recent games are running very well now I find and dlss etc. is only getting better so I am finding my interest in these ££££ gpus dwindling big time to the point even a 5070 if decent bang per buck (would need to be at least 4080 level of perf to justify the move though) will be enough for me and my needs going forward.

Yeah. Defo should have no less than 4080 performance or it will be a fail imo. If it has at least that, runs more efficiently and has 16GB or vram I may grab it if the price is not stupid.

Nice fresh shiny card with fresh 3 year warranty. Though I still have over 2 years warranty on this card yet.

Caporegime
Yeah. Defo should have no less than 4080 performance or it will be a fail imo. If it has at least that, runs more efficiently and has 16GB or vram I may grab it if the price is not stupid.

Nice fresh shiny card with fresh 3 year warranty. Though I still have over 2 years warranty on this card yet.

Not forgetting dlss 4 too ;) :p :D

It's just better RT/PT perf. I want now really (everything else will be a nice to have) and not even for current games but more future rt/pt games.

• Haha
Associate
Again, what about the games where RT is used and has very little RT impact? Why are you and others ignoring such examples?
I'm not. Apply my test to these games too. If the RT impact is minimal, it's generally because it's doing **** all.

If you are having a Sad Day, you will need to lower settings, and RT is often the biggest culprit.

D3K

D3K

Soldato

It’s not a mod. And even if it was, is your argument we can’t have nice things if it needs an additional setting enabled that users might not understand?

Associate
I do have FSR quality enabled!
And you're having a good experience, which is what it's all about! You probably don't see much, if any, difference from native res. Because the attitude to have is to not care about how either graphics card manufacturer achieves giving you performance that is good, with great visuals. Whether it's just raster, or FSR, or DLSS, or FG, or whatever, I really don't give a monkeys however they do it if the experience is good and the visuals are also good. Just my opinion, but to say "they shouldn't have to do that" is kinda like having a mindset of "we've always done it this way so why should we change?". If it achieves the same result, who cares?

Associate
@D3K It is a mod, and he stated he was using mod. He has a 3080, so you need add a mod to get frame gen to work, unless something has changed lately @Nexus18?

My argument is that if you need to find a mod for something, the majority of purchasers will not be aware of it - therefore they will believe that RT has a bigger impact on their card than in necessarily would otherwise. It makes the perception of the performance impact bigger than it needs to be for a wider range of cards.

Last edited:
Associate
Some games just don’t benefit from RT, recent patch for D4 enabled RT and tanks my FPS on a 4090 (using DLAA) for no perceptual improvement in GFX. I need to enable FrameGen to bring the FPS back up, so I just disable on RT in D4 as it offers no benefit.

CP2077 on the other hand benefits so much from RT and look looks glorious in motion and really adds to the experience of playing the game.

Back
Top Bottom