• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Soldato
I finally got around to trying Cyberpunk this week. Seems to run really well. Had it maxxed out with full Ray tracing and was getting a steady 60fps at 1080p.

It looks visually stunning, puddles, lighting, smoke etc, but certainly won't be playing through it like that. Seemed every so laggy when pressing buttons. But wow those RT effects.

Soldato
I did nothing!
9E5wP1RiPvnos.webp
^
@humbug in the RT etc thread.:cry:

Associate
Not played a game with RT and not really bothered about it at the moment. I think the only games that will change my minds are The new Dragon Age Dreadwolf and then GTA 6, wherever that comes out on PC.

Soldato
I will only care about RT if
Should make a thread, three word answers only...........

gets much cheaper

doesn't destroy fps

it stops raining

can run native

doesn't need FakeFrames

reduces game cost

increases game immersion

AMD catch up

:p

Soldato
Should make a thread, three word answers only...........

gets much cheaper

doesn't destroy fps

it stops raining

can run native

doesn't need FakeFrames

reduces game cost

increases game immersion
I imagine this is what a lot of people say.

AMD catch up

:p
But this is what they mean!

Associate
After the great Splinter Cell remake news that it will affect how the game actually responds to you and the general dislike for remasters right now, it would be quite funny if remakes/remasters makes RT more mainstream at a faster rate :D

D3K

D3K

Soldato

Alex: “they talked about it in a nvidia non-specific way because i think they’re trying to argue this is the future regardless of GPU manufacturer “
:cool:

Caporegime
To me it's clear when the performance catches up and it becomes the norm people will be more open to it. Until then it's just going to be looked at as niche.

Exactly, people aren't willing to sacrifice framerate for it. When antialiasing came around it was a similar scenario. SSAA was the gold standard but had the biggest hit, then lesser variations like multi sampling appeared offering less of a hit. RT is basically in that place that anti aliasing was back in 2000 with the Voodoo 5.

People can go on about upscaling negating the fps hit, but it wasn't that long ago when pc gamers were sneering at consoles for using it, now suddenly thats all swept under the carpet and forgotten about because ray tracing basically needs it to work at acceptable framerates in the newer games at higher resolutions.

Nobody is disputing ray tracing being the way forward, but we're years off the point where it's the default for every new game. But we'll get there, eventually.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Exactly, people aren't willing to sacrifice framerate for it. When antialiasing came around it was a similar scenario. SSAA was the gold standard but had the biggest hit, then lesser variations like multi sampling appeared offering less of a hit. RT is basically in that place that anti aliasing was back in 2000 with the Voodoo 5.
Yeah we are. Happy to sacrifice 140s down to 80s. There is a limit though. Thankfully it rarely even gets that low in 4090 for most implementations to date.
People can go on about upscaling negating the fps hit, but it wasn't that long ago when pc gamers were sneering at consoles for using it, now suddenly thats all swept under the carpet and forgotten about because ray tracing basically needs it to work at acceptable framerates in the newer games at higher resolutions.
Upscaling via checkerboxing is not the same as current upscaling tech. Checkerboxing was of poor quality and thats why it was sneered at. DLSS etc is more acceptable and it's night and day vs old checkerboxing (I personally strive for it off, I still see artifacts)

Nobody is disputing ray tracing being the way forward, but we're years off the point where it's the default for every new game. But we'll get there, eventually.
There's been plenty scoffs and sneers in this thread. Hence the emoji :cool:

Caporegime
Yeah we are. Happy to sacrifice 140s down to 80s. There is a limit though. Thankfully it rarely even gets that low in 4090 for most implementations to date.

Who is we exactly? The Royal we? Or are you trying to speak for everyone? Because I'm pretty sure that what people consider acceptable varies quite a lot depending on the game they're playing, the res, and personal preference. What you consider playable at 80fps some might well consider unplayable. And last I checked not everyone has a 4090 so that's also a major consideration. Some people want their fps bolted at 144fps come what may.

Upscaling via checkerboxing is not the same as current upscaling tech. Checkerboxing was of poor quality and thats why it was sneered at. DLSS etc is more acceptable and it's night and day vs old checkerboxing (I personally strive for it off, I still see artifacts)

A lot of the amusement quality aside was the consoles weren't powerful enough to run the resolutions at native so they had to 'fake it'. I seen the same arguments years back on multiple tech sites, social media etc and the big theme was 'faking it' and how it was unacceptable, and here with are with DLSS 'faking it', but because a vendor says 'better than native' the bandwagon is in motion and the usual suspects are battling it out on forums over these claims.

Caporegime
Exactly. As soon as AMD catches up it will be the best thing since sliced bread :D

Nah, when we can run it without the need for upscaling gimmicks and a minimal performance hit, then things will be all good. It took us the better part of 2 decades to get FSAA essentially for free, so don't hold your breath.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom