• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Caporegime
FTFY :p:D

Oh and upscaling gimmicks, 100% correct

FTFY

Explain how it isn't a gimmick? It only exists for cards now simply because they're not powerful enough to do RT natively in a lot of instances. At best its a gimmick, at worst its a crutch for the hardware. And as we move on there's been plenty of talk about how devs could even get more half assed on optimising of games and simply let people use upscaling instead. Not a good place to be if they choose that route. The fact that it needs used at all basically reinforces the fact that RT was brought into play far too early and this was a shortcut to get it there in some form or fashion.

And I see nexus with his standard post reaction, I'm only amazed he isn't off typing up more mindless diatribes for people to roll their eyes at, you do you, kid. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Its pc, framerate is king, always has been.

Framerate is good, it's not the be all. Unless you are the kind that turns down settings to minimum in Cod so you can see your opponents better. In which case you have no need for ray tracing and should be on your way.

Amazing it took you that long to cobble together a response.

You see a name viewing a thread and assume the person is not only active at the pc, but is struggling to reply to your easily rebutted opinions.... not the most logical person, are you.

Caporegime
You see a name viewing a thread and assume the person is not only active at the pc, but is struggling to reply to your easily rebutted opinions.... not the most logical person, are you.

Actually I didn't, what is it they say about assumptions? Hmm.... :cry:

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Why would i need one? The games i occasionally play this card run fine, I had a 3080ti and downgraded as it was overkill for my uses. I'm not gonna upgrade just to have a new talking point, if\when a game comes around i like the look of then it makes sense to do so at that point.

If framerate is your ambition, and you wanna explore higher fidelity in graphical settings, then you need a better GPU.
If you don't care about graphical quality, and actually think it's just for a talking point, then your opinions don't matter much in this thread.

Caporegime
If you don't care about graphical quality, and actually think it's just for a talking point, then your opinions don't matter much in this thread.

A thread asking about if people care about ray tracing or not? Didn't think that one out too well did you? :cry: :cry: You must be confusing this thread with the RT rhubarb rubbing thread.

Last edited:
Just finished Resident Evil 3.
Raytracing made my GPU go to 100% load and drop below 144FPS.
Turning it off dropped the load to 60% for a permanent 144FPS without drops.

Started Resident Evil 4 today. This is the first game I have played with AMD's upscaler and raytracing.
Raytracing alone hammers the FPS, but the upscaling makes up for a lot of it!

My GPU is as per my rig and I am overall very happy with it.

Soldato
Just finished Resident Evil 3.
Raytracing made my GPU go to 100% load and drop below 144FPS.
Turning it off dropped the load to 60% for a permanent 144FPS without drops.

Started Resident Evil 4 today. This is the first game I have played with AMD's upscaler and raytracing.
Raytracing alone hammers the FPS, but the upscaling makes up for a lot of it!

My GPU is as per my rig and I am overall very happy with it.
What resolution were you running at?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
A thread asking about if people care about ray tracing or not? Didn't think that one out too well did you? :cry: :cry: You must be confusing this thread with the RT rhubarb rubbing thread.

Very true. I'm blaming it on a long weekend Saturday full of booze. Btw this IS the RT rhubarb rubbing thread. It's just that some weirdos don't want to rub it and prefer seeing framerate number go up instead :p

Man of Honour
Oh yeah it is, possibly even more so these days with RT tanking frames as much as it does for minimal visual improvement more often than not.

Part of the problem at the moment is games trying to combine a traditional raster pipeline with RT effects where you have much of the RT overhead even for fairly token RT features on top of the traditional rendering workload.

Quake 2 RTX will happily sit at 120-140FPS at 1440p on a RTX4080 even in scenes far more complex than the original Quake 2 maps with native scaling never mind FSR or DLSS and things have moved on a good bit with feature and performance improvements since that renderer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You already answered that :D

True but I rarely game anymore, the odd game of bfv and that's it. Hence why I sold on my 3080ti, it was going to waste and being rarely used. Going to wait and see what both camps produce later this year and see if there's anything worthwhile gaming wise and maybe upgrade then. :)

Caporegime
Part of the problem at the moment is games trying to combine a traditional raster pipeline with RT effects where you have much of the RT overhead even for fairly token RT features on top of the traditional rendering workload.

Quake 2 RTX will happily sit at 120-140FPS at 1440p on a RTX4080 even in scenes far more complex than the original Quake 2 maps with native scaling never mind FSR or DLSS and things have moved on a good bit with feature and performance improvements since that renderer.

That's a 27 year old game though. Yes adding rt or pt is going to make it more challenging to render but its hardly a showpiece that they can render it differently and run it natively, it is after all over a quarter of a century old. It's a nice little tech demo showing what's possible, though I'm more interested in seeing the RT implementation of Half Life 2 which looks more interesting.

Man of Honour
That's a 27 year old game though. Yes adding rt or pt is going to make it more challenging to render but its hardly a showpiece that they can render it differently and run it natively, it is after all over a quarter of a century old. It's a nice little tech demo showing what's possible, though I'm more interested in seeing the RT implementation of Half Life 2 which looks more interesting.

The performance doesn't really benefit from it being a 27 year old game though - you can increase the complexity of a scene like 64 times without any significant performance hit. (In fact it actually hinders it a bit as the engine has poor handling of transparency so surfaces involving alpha can really chug which wouldn't happen with a newer engine).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom