• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Caporegime
But you aren't going to notice realistic shadows in motion that much, especially when focusing on other things.

Its not just the shape of the shadows, without RT areas that shouldn't be lit are etc, it's like uncanny valley once your used to spotting it.

I have a 4000 series card so performance isn't really a top issue for me, everything runs well anyway

Soldato
Its not just the shape of the shadows, without RT areas that shouldn't be lit are etc, it's like uncanny valley once your used to spotting it.

I have a 4000 series card so performance isn't really a top issue for me, everything runs well anyway

Usually when an area isn't lit, it's not supposed to be. That sounds like it's over-doing things.

Caporegime
But you aren't going to notice realistic shadows in motion that much
try turning off motion blur/DOF

they only make sense if you're partially sighted in real life.

Wheres the light source? more than one wrong shadow in the image
DvdHcpJ.png

Usually when an area isn't lit
if it's not like it's fire

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Never used it, no intentions either.

Time to upgrade your gpu :D

I personally don't get why people make it sound like RT makes little to no difference. It definitely does and it will be used more and more in the future.

All these posts won't age well imo. Bit like those that used to say 4K makes no difference 10 years aho when I first got my 4K monitor :D

Soldato
Ahhahahahaha… he said “age well”.

What on earth does a post referring to the state of RT now, have to do with the future?

I do love how the usual suspects in here keep insulting anyone who dare post anything not gushing all over RT.

lol maybe the fact you have been used to crap FPS for 10 years explains why you love RT so much. I have been on 4K since the first 4K monitors and remember having to play games on lower than native res. Maybe that explains why I am OK with FSR :cry:

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ahhahahahaha… he said “age well”.

What on earth does a post referring to the state of RT now, have to do with the future?

I do love how the usual suspects in here keep insulting anyone who dare post anything not gushing all over RT.

lol maybe the fact you have been used to crap FPS for 10 years explains why you love RT so much. I have been on 4K since the first 4K monitors and remember having to play games on lower than native res. Maybe that explains why I am OK with FSR :cry:

I don't need 240 fps to to enjoy a game. 60fps will do just fine. 90fps and I am golden.

I used to even enjoy playing crisis at low 20's fps just to play it maxed out :D

Where am I insulting anyone by the way?

Soldato
I used to even enjoy playing crisis at low 20's fps just to play it maxed out :D
If i remember right my FPS was dropping to something like 14 fps or less in the snow level
Was using a 8800gtx at 1920x1200 on a dell 24" widescreen

Very shortly after i upgraded to SLI 8800gtx mainly due to crysis

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If i remember right my FPS was dropping to something like 14 fps or less in the snow level
Was using a 8800gtx at 1920x1200 on a dell 24" widescreen

Very shortly after i upgraded to SLI 8800gtx mainly due to crysis

You sure you did not buy a Chinese fake? I was getting low 20's with my 8800 GTS. I had a Dell Ultrasharp monitor also. But may potentially have been the 1680x1050 or something like that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Makes me laugh though. All I essentially said was I don't get why people play down RT as something that visually makes little difference and that it is the future.

Some reading that post be like:

funny-as.gif

And followed by:

piedras-vida-brian.gif

Yeah. Usual lot.. Lol.

Soldato
I sometimes make the mistake of browsing the forums on a PC that is not logged in as me. I then feel compelled to respond to the BS.

They reply to people saying they don’t think RT looks that special with responses like.

You need your eyes checked
You can’t see it because your GPU sucks
You need an OLED because your IPS is cheap crap.

They put a smiling emoji like it’s just a joke, but really it’s pure passive aggressive BS. Then when called out they cry “where did I insult anyone”.

Usually the circle jerk of thumbs up emojis ensues between the same three or four of them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Makes me laugh though. All I essentially said was I don't get why people play down RT as something that visually makes little difference and that it is the future.

Some reading that post be like:

funny-as.gif

And followed by:

piedras-vida-brian.gif

Yeah. Usual lot.. Lol.

Yeah it's funny that phrase the "usual suspects" from said users.... when it's the same old people stating the same passive aggressive comments and attacking the supposed "usual suspects" instead of keeping to the discussion/topic and debating those points raised..... Funny how they can never address the points with evidence to debunk this "usual suspect" group either and it's always the same old one or two liners with no substance.

Like I have always said before, it really doesn't matter what either side think/says going forward, you just have to look at what way the game devs are heading and what the hardware manufacturers are doing to see what is happening with outdated raster methods. I can't recall if it was a rumour or not but haven't amd even said for their next gpus, RT is going to be their focus more than raster now? It's not surprising but people seem to like to bury their head in the sand when it comes to this and we all know the reasons why... the sooner we get more games like spiderman 2, avatar, metro ee, the better, people won't be able to have this argument anymore. TBH, thread should be locked and closed given how much of a futile argument it is, not like rt is going to be given up on.

Such statements as "minimal IQ gain", "too much of a performance killer" (as in, people seem to think the only titles to look at for performance hit is cp 2077, aw 2 maxed out with PT and don't look at the bigger picture or rather conveniently ignore where we have such titles as avatar, metro ee, spiderman 2 and countless other ones, which run incredibly well on even low/mid hardware) also show just how out of touch or maybe how in denail certain posters are on this topic too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom