What do today's kids / teens make of Blur and Oasis?

Any of you here that have children will know that the top 40 is all about Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Little Mix, Dua Lipa, LadBaby, Drake, and of course, sea shanties!

When we were kids of the 1990s, Blur and Oasis were 2 of the biggest bands, however, we were also aware that our 1960s parents were rocking the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, Jimi Hendrix and maybe a spot of rock 'n' roll.

We've gone from the 60s, the 90s, now to the 20s (2020s, not 1920s!), with the 3 generations spaced roughly 30 years apart. So I'm curious if kids listen to (or at least know about) Blur and Oasis. Do they know about Take That and the Spice Girls - the biggest boy/girl bands of the time? Then that Mariah Carey song that you hear absolutely bloody EVERYWHERE at Christmas time - do the kids know that it's from 1994? Those kids who are into modern dance music, what do they make of 'our' dance music back then (house / trance)?

Also, when I was a uni student from 1998 to 2002, there were cheesy 80s nights but there wasn't such thing as a 90s night. I'm sure 90s nights exist now, so I'm curious to what you'd hear, how mainstream it is, or do the DJs dig a little deeper into the Britpop, indie and dance side of things.

Also, when I was a uni student from 1998 to 2002, there were cheesy 80s nights but there wasn't such thing as a 90s night. I'm sure 90s nights exist now, so I'm curious to what you'd hear, how mainstream it is, or do the DJs dig a little deeper into the Britpop, indie and dance side of things.
Slightly off topic I apologise, I went to a 90's night at a club about 10 years ago in a student city and it was terrible. Watching people dance to music they had no love for. I spent as many nights as I could afford through to my mid 20's clubbing at small Indie nights with like minded people and it genuinely hurt me to watching these students fake enjoyment to music that I loved so much.

Nah that's fine - I did ask about 90s nights as well :-) There was plenty of music I didn't like in the 90s as well, and I guess people (including myself) dancing to such tunes and feigning enjoyment would be down to alcohol consumption!

I have been to some indie nights (Menagerie in Birmingham). It does veer off occasionally to cheesy 80s songs, but for the main part it stuck with Britpop and indie scenes e.g. Madchester, shoe gazing and crossover indie/dance. The last one I went to was 2018, so before covid but still recent(ish).

I was only thinking the other day that Oasis first album is now as old as albums from 1966 were when it was released. Seems absolutely bonkers that Oasis could be as old as the Beatles were when I was listening to Oasis...

My son knows a bit about Oasis simply because I listen to it and we tend to have Radio X on in the car which plays a lot of proper Indie music.

I can't comment first hand about what kids today think about 90s dance/trance but if they like genuine dance music rather than drum'n'bass or whatever I can't see how they couldn't like it. Late 90s/early 00s is absolute pinnacle of progressive trance type of music and even more modern stuff like Calvin Harris is just a modern spin on that.

If you want a proper 90s night go see Rhythm of the 90s covers band. Absolutely ****ing incredible, loads of classics played live, incredible energy, just absolutely relentless. I've seen plenty of big acts multiple times like Oasis, Foo Fighters, Muse, Killers etc etc all 3+ times and ROT90s are absolutely within touching distance of that calibre.

We've just had our daughter and if there's nothing else I teach her I at least hope she has my taste of music.

Which ultimately means when I try and show her my music she's no doubt going to complain it's old peoples music :P

I think every era of parent thinks their era of music is the best and the child will fight against them

I don't think there is the same musical divide of old/new music these days as we had when I grew up in the 80's/90's. When I was younger we were hugely limited to radio play and top of the pops/late night music shows or whatever you heard about via word of mouth. It used to be exciting to hear something new to my ears and then go down a rabbithole of 'old' bands.

Kids/teens today have the entire history of music at their fingertips within seconds - have a lot of contact with younger folk via the agency workers in my workplace and you'd be surprised how diverse a lot of their listening tastes can be. Often will be chatting about music and they'll mention bands from 60's-90's in same breath as more recent groups.

Yes a lot of younger folk will only listen to chart music but that's no different to when I was younger though, the majority will listen to mainstream music. People who want to expand their musical tastes will make an effort and seek out good music, whether they were born in the 60's/90's or 10's.

Not sure what they make of the 90s bands, I do know they are light years ahead of all the manufactured, sterile, safe, corporate pap that passes for music today.

Take the Happy Mondays, you'll never see a band like that ever again, and whether you lked them or not, that is a terrible thing for music. They were lunatics and the music was all the better for it, labels today would run a mile as they're difficult to deal with, manage, promote and package etc here have some more Ed Sheeran and hundred other boring AF solo "artists" peddling the same whiny boring garbage.

Music has never been worse.

My kids have no interest in Blur or Oasis. I don't listen to them, they are rarely on the radio and I rarely listen to the radio. They rarely get mentioned in the YouTube channels I watch.

They do like some old music Abba, ACDC and one likes 80s electronic synth stuff. I don't think they listen to much old stuff unless they've heard it in a movie like Marvel etc.

My 7yo, 4yo and about to be 2yo have been brought up on, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, 90s and early 2000s Trance, Helloween, Slayer and Bob Marley. Oh and the music from Bounce patrol lol.
They have never heard Oasis, Blur or anything that is not listed above. They are not into music as they are pretty young so whatever I listen to is what they listen too. I have seen a few times when having Pink Floyd playing, they sometimes play quieter.

Not sure what they make of the 90s bands, I do know they are light years ahead of all the manufactured, sterile, safe, corporate pap that passes for music today.

Take the Happy Mondays, you'll never see a band like that ever again, and whether you lked them or not, that is a terrible thing for music. They were lunatics and the music was all the better for it, labels today would run a mile as they're difficult to deal with, manage, promote and package etc here have some more Ed Sheeran and hundred other boring AF solo "artists" peddling the same whiny boring garbage.

Music has never been worse.

Lots of new music is decent once you stay away from the mainstream.

Every generation thinks their music is the best and new music is bad.

Personally I think there's a bit more to it.

There is a lot more "manufactured" music and simplistic music being produced these days, by people who are no musicians and done by audio tools, software etc. There was also a lot of factory music in the charts, pop etc.

But now to find working musicians, and music you like, (if its not chart music) you have to some digging on musician channels etc. Kinda nice when you find small band you like. They are closer to their audience now online etc.

Personally I think there's a bit more to it.

There is a lot more "manufactured" music and simplistic music being produced these days, by people who are no musicians and done by audio tools, software etc. There was also a lot of factory music in the charts, pop etc.

But now to find working musicians, and music you like, (if its not chart music) you have to some digging on musician channels etc. Kinda nice when you find small band you like. They are closer to their audience now online etc.

No there isn't, this is just confirmation bias.

Its not my bias.

I think the 90's was a good era, not so much for the bands mentioned in the OP though.

I'm more of a rock music fan, although started earlier, bands like guns and roses and Def Leppard were releasing stuff in the 90's.

But outside of Rock music Michael Jackson for example.

For me personally, I like the 80's rock bands though, I include Queen in that although they started earlier.

I like (which for me) will be the prior generation, stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Who also.

Even stuff before that, Elvis, Creedence Clearwater, rolling stones and similar.

I think music of the last 20 years or so is pretty dire though, I like the Darkness and their first album was something like 2002 (without looking it up) so even that is 20 years old now.

There is plenty of good stuff among the trash, whole host of modern artists who produce great music. Anyone saying otherwise is just a massive idiot who doesn't listen with any variety and has basically turned into their dad. :cool:

Its no different to the 80's/90's, they had their fair share of trash.

There is plenty of good stuff among the trash, whole host of modern artists who produce great music. Anyone saying otherwise is just a massive idiot who doesn't listen with any variety and has basically turned into their dad. :cool:

There is still good music you have to find it.

But there is truth to idea that there's a lot of mass produced cloned unimaginative music around that wasn't there in the past, as least not as much. The articles above explain why.

I have this same frustration around movies, people of similar age to me always saying 'films aren't as good as the 80's'

Yes, the 80's had some classics, so did the 90's, 00's and so on - they also had their fair share of mainstream popcorn brain off money makers.

Back
Top Bottom