What do today's kids / teens make of Blur and Oasis?

You said music, now you're claiming pop music. Which is it?

The article that pop music is more repetitive is the most dumb. The current popular genre is EDM, of course dance music is more repetitive :o

Is pop music not music?

There is a huge difference in being a clone and have a (repetitive) reoccurring beat, or motif.

I have this same frustration around movies, people of similar age to me always saying 'films aren't as good as the 80's'

Yes, the 80's had some classics, so did the 90's, 00's and so on - they also had their fair share of mainstream popcorn brain off money makers.

Well movies is a different discussion.

Aliens2, or French connection2 are in no way a copies in the same way other franchises are rinse and repeat.

Is pop music not music?

There is a huge difference in being a clone and have a (repetitive) reoccurring beat, or motif.
Pop music is a very small section of music. Claiming that their is more manufactured music and then only supplying 'evidence' for a very small part of music is not particularly convincing.

Pop music is a very small section of music. Claiming that their is more manufactured music and then only supplying 'evidence' for a very small part of music is not particularly convincing.

What part of the topic title "Blur and Oasis" made you think this was about "all music".

There is a lot more "manufactured" music and simplistic music being produced these days, by people who are no musicians and done by audio tools, software etc.
Maybe you mistyped? I'm not in charge of your posts dude. Maybe you should be more careful about what you post if you mean something completely different.

Music is constantly evolving and there will reach a point where it isn't being made with 'you' in mind any more.

I'm only 32 and I find there is a lot of hip-hop that just isn't relatable for me any more and that's fine because it's wild to expect young people to make music that older people want to listen to, they make it for their peers. That doesn't make it trash or rubbish, it just means it's no longer for you.

Last weekend a neighbour a few doors down had a live band playing at their wedding reception in a marquee in their garden. I wasn't invited (hardly know them) but we could hear the music all night. They played some cracking 80's and 90's stuff including Oasis.

Sadly my kids aren't into that type of music. My son (15yrs) may listen if I am, but my daughter (18yrs) just calls it old people music and wants to turn it off. I was tempted to look back in anger. But I knew it was too late. At least not today. So I had to turn away.

I've one kid who plays music and I know one of the older kids had friends who play. They borrow my guitars when they come around.

I prefer old music to new music, however I don't think that necessarily means it is better, it's just naturally what happens, people tend to gravitate towards music from their teens and 20s, for whatever reason (maybe because back then music was something you'd listen to a lot, talk about, generating nostalgia for youth etc etc).

I also believe there is still 'good' (in the ears of older people) new music being made, it's just it typically won't be mainstream.
Modern popular music seems to be a mix of:
  • Female vocalist with varying degrees of autotune singing over a funky pop beat (Sia, Dua Lipa etc). This has largely swallowed mainstream dance/trance.
  • R'n'B / garage / whatever you want to call that modern kinda style, invariable "Ft." someone with a silly name.
  • Male solo artists with a mix of styles, some cheesy love songs with a few bits of pseudo-rap thrown in.
However there is still guitar rock out there, you just don't see much in the top40 or getting airplay on radio stations listened to by U25s. In the modern age they can kind of still get themselves out there via the internet and touring. Likewise there is doubtless plenty of trance out there if you know where to look.

I detest most modern music. No idea why we are singing/rapping about killing people, killing cops, committing crimes etc. When daughter was younger she knew these word for word, singing along in the car - it's only as she got older she began to understand the lyrics and undertones :cry:

There is good music and some great artists, but they seem to get suppressed by the mainstream and industry. No meaningful lyrics, or sounds, no passion, most music today is soulless, - it's all about the $$$.

Back
Top Bottom