What do you carry with you and how?

Soldato
OP
As a beginner with next to no kit, I appreciate the links in your post @Roady . Great if others can do similar to help me put my own kit together. :)
I found some good bits on planet x...

50p co2 canisters

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBACO2/barbieri-co2-cartridge

A cheap lightweight co2 regulator...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBAJS/barbieri-new-jet-set-100psi-co2-pump

(Alrhough I've found one that's in line and easier pack... Zefal EZ Control... that I'm going to get instead)

A good cheap superlightweight pump...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBANO/barbieri-nano-100psi-pump

(There are alternatives that go to higher psi but I'm not sure they're worth the extra expensive)

Soldato
You have pockets on your jersey for a reason. Saddle bags are the pinnacle of un-cool.

Left pocket is wee waterproof bag (AKA a bag I got some new arm warmers in about 3 years ago that has loads of holes now). Phone & inner tube live in that.

Middle pocket is small Lezyne pump. Fits in pockets of all my XS jerseys even which I was super surprised at. Would rather that than mucking about with co2. I'll also put arm warmers/leg warmers in this pocket if I have them on and take them off.

Right pocket is tyre levers and a multi tool. If my training is over 3 hours this is where I'll put food as well.

Soldato
I was in the saddle bags are way uncool club until....

The Silca range came out ;)

I use their saddle roll with boa, there is no rocking, movement or noise, it holds everything in place and has held up to the weather OK so far. Plus it looks good and ticks right under the saddle so it isn’t like some offensive ballsack rocking around.

I have one tube, two co2, levers, nitrile gloves, a 3” piece of old tubular tyre a small bit of a spoke (for stuck valves/poking stuff) and a basic multi tool (Allen and screwdriver).

Soldato
I get saddlebags but I think it feels like I've got a lead weight?pendulum on the saddle when out the saddle on a climb.

Centre of gravity or something??

Soldato
I get saddlebags but I think it feels like I've got a lead weight?pendulum on the saddle when out the saddle on a climb.

Centre of gravity or something??

It always does have that feeling but it's made worse if the bag isn't fitted tightly to post and saddle.

Two punctures in one ride is nasty. I've had only two in nearly 9000 miles, both small pieces of glass :D now ill probably get one next ride.

Soldato
* Phone
* Minipump
* Tyre levers
* Inner tube
* Couple of inner tube patches/glue

Tyre levers and inner tube are in a little plastic bag that I also put my debit card in. All comfortably fits in jersey pockets with room to spare.

I run tubeless and so typically I can get home without touching most punctures (and subsequently forget to fix it properly before my next ride...), but I do need to add a tubeless repair kit to that list as I used the old one up.

If it's more than 40 miles I'll usually take a bit of food. If my wife isn't home with the car I take more stuff if I'm going to be particularly far from home (or train stations), just in case something bad happens i.e. extra inner tube, co2, multitool, maybe chainlink etc.

Soldato
OP
I found some good bits on planet x...

50p co2 canisters

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBACO2/barbieri-co2-cartridge

A cheap lightweight co2 regulator...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBAJS/barbieri-new-jet-set-100psi-co2-pump

(Alrhough I've found one that's in line and easier pack... Zefal EZ Control... that I'm going to get instead)

A good cheap superlightweight pump...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBANO/barbieri-nano-100psi-pump

(There are alternatives that go to higher psi but I'm not sure they're worth the extra expensive)
@AndyCr15... Just to add to this... I got one of these as a shot to nothing...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BABLVIPZW/blackburn-vip-zip-ride-wallet

bc4bn8Q.jpg
Its too small for my needs but it fits the Nano pump, 1 innertube, a co2 cartridge and valve, a multitool, tyre levers, and some patches...

It's well made, and has a waterproof zip. For £2 it's a bargain.

Associate
For short rides I take a puncture kit and a small (Boardman i think) pump.

For long rides I add a innertube, multitool, gels. I used to carry a tyre, 2 inner tubes, some plasters, bandages, but I never really used or needed that much. Now we all have mobiles, getting stuck miles from home, and having to push the bike doesn't worry me much anymore.

Soldato
Small mutlitool which incorporates chain splitter.
Inner tube
Tyre levers

Anything unfixable and I'll call out the sag wagon (missus).

One good habit I've adopted is checking all bolts are tight before a long ride. After a while you know what sized bolt is where and can whizz over the bike in 2 mins.

Soldato
OP
I've settled on a set-up for now at least....

The cheap £2 Blackburn bag/pouch from Planet X that I mentioned before, containing:-
  • Two generic tyre levers
  • Low profile hex bit ratchet
  • Assorted hex bits
  • Topeak Torqbox Nano 5nm
  • Patches
  • Barbieri Nana mini-pump
  • Inner tube
  • Co2 cartridge valve
  • £20 note
As well as this, I've got 2 co2 cartridges attached under the saddle, using some cutoffs of innertubes and some velcro cable tidies.

gxSK04U.jpg

I set out with a requirement for 2 innertubes but changed tack. The small pack is a really attractive size - it disappears inro a jersey pocket and for short rides it should suffice. For longer rides I'll shove another tube in another pocket.

The Torqbox Nano allows for tightening my carbon seat post. Topeak now do a 2-8nm improved version but it's £35 (as compared to £15 for this older 5nm version I picked up).

The Nana pump looks impossibly small and I've yet to test it but it was cheap, tiny, and weighs 30g.

The Zefal EZ co2 valve is neater to pack because its an in-line tube rather than the more common 90 degree bend format, but it controls flow via a screw tap which can't completely close off the flow. This is ridiculous, and means I'm looking for an alternative.

Associate
Usually:-

Multitool
Innertube
Tyre levers
CO2 x2
Regulator
SIS gel x1

On longer rides when i am on my own i have started taking a spare tire taped under my saddle. Had really bad luck / poor performance from a set of Vittorias recently that left me with a split side wall 40k from anyway, 1200m up in Cedar Valley, Cyprus. Lucky if you see a car an hour up there. Managed to get a gel wrapper round the innertube to stop it popping out of the tire and limp home, but it was sketchy for a minute or 2.

Soldato
OP
Had really bad luck / poor performance from a set of Vittorias recently that left me with a split side wall 40k from anyway, 1200m up in Cedar Valley, Cyprus.
Gah. Just bought myself some Vittorias. Which were you using? I was swayed by the graphene in their Rubino Pro G+.

Soldato
Homemade jacket is not such a great idea but Sora is. You learn the hard way on a tour why equipping your bike with any vaguely obscure parts is a very bad thing (which is why I ended up forcing a Hollowtech bolt into my Rotor crank to stop the NDS arm falling off on one occasion). All LBSs will have Sora spares.

Soldato
What do I carry with me:

IronMan Austria:
3 water bottles, some snacks

London Ride 100:
2 water bottles

Tubes, tools and canisters are for the weak and mechanically challenged.

Back
Top Bottom