What do you name your servers?

Associate
Servers are characters from the Bill & Ted films, and desktop are Matt Groening characters (). Both give me a nice large pool of names to pick from, my own desktop being Farnsworth :)

akakjs

Man of Honour
How many clients do you have to warrant that many domain controllers?!

Burnsy

Hardly a huge number, we have 16 or so DCs for one client. two for each production domain, one per datacenter, another two as root domain controllers, and various others for development domains. Only about 1200 users in total on them (and 1000 or so of those are between two of them...)

Man of Honour
Hardly a huge number, we have 16 or so DCs for one client. two for each production domain, one per datacenter, another two as root domain controllers, and various others for development domains. Only about 1200 users in total on them (and 1000 or so of those are between two of them...)

It's just that I know MrBIOS works in a school, so I wouldn't expect the need for that number of DCs.

Burnsy

L33

L33

Permabanned
UK01DC01

Country, vlan/site number, function (i.e, DC=domain controller, EX=exchange, DB=sql/oracle etc), server number (DC01=PDC, DC02=BDC etc)

Soldato
Ours our named after local place names.

If we start using virtual servers I'm going to have to start thinking of fictitious local place names. So far the only one I can think of is Ambridge, the location for the Archers.

I worked in a school who had servers called Daisy and Buttercup.

Soldato
Just wondering what everyone named their servers?

Ours are all named after european cities, we have Oslo, Rome, Madrid, Milan, Lisbon etc.

One of our clients name theirs after types of trees, another after composers.

My current home server is called mufasa (from Lion King). We also have pumba, aardvark, timon, rafiki, simba, scar ;)

Associate
When I name our servers I choose names the boring centralised support people where I work will like the least. It's a running joke with me and my boss to come up with extravagant names we know the bores will hate saying in meetings and phone conversations.

We had a two-node Netware cluster, Tweedledum and Tweedledee. When it became a three-node cluster we had to make another one up so we went with Tweedlediq.

Soldato
How many clients do you have to warrant that many domain controllers?!

Burnsy

Theres 4 buildings, 7 ICT rooms with 32clients each, a minimum of 1 computer per classroom, god knows how many classrooms

3 DCs are on one physical box
4 DCs on another box (i missed 2 off that list)
PDC is on its own physical box
then the other 2 on another physical box

Theres basicly a DC per ICT room + the Primary DC, the building named FIT is a long building where one half is on one DC for example

Now that you mention it i dont know why we need that many DCs, we have a company called jatech which designed our network for us and helped us implement it, its all meant to be for the sake of if one goes down everything uses the next nearest DC....but then once there virtual (they were on physical boxes to begin with) that kind of defeats the point imo

I guess they have there reasons for speccing it that way, ill find out and let you know what those reasons are if you like :p

Soldato
There is no call to have that many DC's. One main one and backup would be fine.

Who else would agree here?

Definately needs more than 2 for our particular site thats a certainty

4 + the PDC would be more like it, 1 per sperate building (we run network printer shares from them, DFS replication supplies the startmeus and desktop icons the students and teachers use etc)

EDIT: maybe 5 actually because the ICT-DC is our test one that is connected only too our office, so we would need to keep that

Last edited:
Associate
Definately needs more than 2 for our particular site thats a certainty

4 + the PDC would be more like it, 1 per sperate building (we run network printer shares from them, DFS replication supplies the startmeus and desktop icons the students and teachers use etc)

EDIT: maybe 5 actually because the ICT-DC is our test one that is connected only too our office, so we would need to keep that

Are you running an NT4 domain? As I am sure PDC's are only used for pre windows 2000.

Back
Top Bottom