What electric cars are actually available in the UK . . .

Soldato
I'm not convinced a "smart" charger is really that important, my ChargePoint charger is smart but other than looking at the app to see how many kWh I've put in the car for interest I don't think I've used any of the other features!

I thought most cars had built in scheduled charging if you need it?
I agree with you.
A smart charger would useful if the electricity offpeak tariff time varied daily, but it doesn't. It's always 12am to 5:30am, so EV owners just need to use the onboard car charging scheduler setting to start it.

Soldato
I agree with you.
A smart charger would useful if the electricity offpeak tariff time varied daily, but it doesn't. It's always 12am to 5:30am, so EV owners just need to use the onboard car charging scheduler setting to start it.
Octopus Agile does and I’d expect others to do so shortly.

Soldato
I agree with you.

@b0rn2sk8 beat me to it but there are tariffs that change overnight as the electricity load varies. If you’re on the right tariff some of these contracts actually pay you to take electricity.

Soldato
Are you guys just plugging straight into a standard three pin plug socket at home then?

No, I understand people who just commute a couple of miles can live with that but if you’re doing reasonable mileages then the 7KW charger makes a lot of sense. We’ve got 22kW charging (3-phase) at home because the house is designated as a business location and it wasn’t silly money to add the phases but we can only charge at 11kW because that’s the limit of the car’s onboard AC chargers. The 22kW capacity does mean that both sides charge at 11kW though. And given that our cars are only 64kW and 74kW respectively that means a full charge very quickly in EV terms. 4-6 hours usually.

Soldato
@b0rn2sk8 beat me to it but there are tariffs that change overnight as the electricity load varies. If you’re on the right tariff some of these contracts actually pay you to take electricity.
Yes I know about the Agile tariffs and the +cost for using them. It's still between 12-5am though :)

Soldato
Are you guys just plugging straight into a standard three pin plug socket at home then?

Most people can get away with just using a 13a plug most of the time. Where you’ll have issues is if you have two fairly long and high mileage days in a row and you have a car with a decently sized battery (say 50+ kWh). You’ll struggle to get the car recharged fully overnight if you plug it in nearly empty.

3kw x 10 hours = 30kw, assuming 4 miles per Kw, that’s 120 miles or about half of of a model 3 SR+ battery pack. If you plug in at 15% it will be back up to 65%ish. There are of course charging losses to account for.

The main benefit of a wall box is that you can push the charge in faster, the cheap overnight rates only normally cover a few hours. You want to maximise your opportunity there. The other is that the car will be fully charged if you plug it in overnight, on a 13a plug, that isn’t guaranteed in anything with a decent sized battery. Less of a problem on cars with smaller packs but you’ll not be going far with those.

Soldato
No 13A plug charges at 3kW though, more like 10A so multiply by voltage as we know that varies - this is my dilemma really as Ipace really is a 2.5-3 mile/kWh car. I will struggle to get the charge in time - I have work charging but its 24p/kWh

Yes I know about the Agile tariffs and the +cost for using them. It's still between 12-5am though :)

Check EDF for some longer periods, but not as cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
No 13A plug charges at 3kW though, more like 10A so multiply by voltage as we know that varies - this is my dilemma really as Ipace really is a 2.5-3 mile/kWh car. I will struggle to get the charge in time - I have work charging but its 24p/kWh.

Check EDF for some longer periods, but not as cheap.

Yup, that’s a wall box for you. Big battery and a car that chunders electrons.

Soldato
Most people can get away with just using a 13a plug most of the time. Where you’ll have issues is if you have two fairly long and high mileage days in a row and you have a car with a decently sized battery (say 50+ kWh). You’ll struggle to get the car recharged fully overnight if you plug it in nearly empty.

3kw x 10 hours = 30kw, assuming 4 miles per Kw, that’s 120 miles or about half of of a model 3 SR+ battery pack. If you plug in at 15% it will be back up to 65%ish. There are of course charging losses to account for.

The main benefit of a wall box is that you can push the charge in faster, the cheap overnight rates only normally cover a few hours. You want to maximise your opportunity there. The other is that the car will be fully charged if you plug it in overnight, on a 13a plug, that isn’t guaranteed in anything with a decent sized battery. Less of a problem on cars with smaller packs but you’ll not be going far with those.

I think your calculations might be slightly optimistic. Granny chargers are generally 2.4kW because of losses. So 10 hours is only 24kW and I think most folks would kill for 4 miles per kW in the winter. You might get it in a M3 SR+ but most cars are 2.5-3.5 miles per kW. So an overnight charge in the granny charger could realistically get you as little as 60 miles overnight. And if you’re in Pre-heat you might actually use a quarter of the charge to get the car up to temperature. Most of the bigger cars (iPace, Polestar, GQC) really do need a 7kW home charger as an absolute minimum.

Soldato
@WJA96, I think your post just proved my point even if my numbers are Tesla levels of efficiency (the i3 and Korean cars are pretty close to this, especially over shorter daily journeys) or even a little optimistic. The average mileage daily mileage for a car is below 30 miles. Getting 60 overnight off a granny lead is double what you need so it’s only an issue where you have two high mileage days on the bounce and you can’t plug it in until late at night.

Sure it’s going to take a number of days to get something with a big battery charged up again if you don’t plug it in for a long period but you can get away with it.

Id always suggest people get a wall box, ease of use, convenience, less risk of it being nicked if you don’t take it with you etc and of course having the ability to charge the car more than twice as fast makes it so much more flexible to use. When you have two high mileage days in a row it isn’t an issue and you can take better advantage of the cheap overnight rates.

But the point was that you can ‘get away with it’ if you need to.

Soldato
Latest PCP quote

Vehicle: Hyundai Ioniq Electric Hatchback 100Kw Premium Se 38Kwh 5Dr Auto (2019 On)

11,000 miles a year.
NXMM3Md.jpg

How's that compare? 11,000 is a little generous, it'll probably be nearer 10,000

Soldato
Latest PCP quote

Vehicle: Hyundai Ioniq Electric Hatchback 100Kw Premium Se 38Kwh 5Dr Auto (2019 On)

11,000 miles a year.

How's that compare?

At first glance it looks pretty horrific. But you're financing a fairly pricey car over 4 years at a reasonably low interest rate so it's about where the market is I suspect.

What it really comes down to is; Is this the car you want? Is it worth £382 per month? Are you prepared to pay £382 per month? If the answer to all of those is yes, then it's a good deal. And that's all that really matters.

Soldato
How's that compare?

instant search on hotuk
Fantastic price for this Hyundai Ioniq Electric 100kW Premium 38kWh 5dr Auto - works out at 17.3% of £34.5k P11D based on a 2 year lease with 8k miles with metallic paint. £199.99 per month (6+23 profile), plus £1,199.94 initial payment and £150 admin fee so a total of £5,949.71 - £247.90 net per month.

Soldato
I didn't see your PM? Did you use the messaging system or the trust system, I was referring to the actual forum conversation feature. :)

How's that compare? 11,000 is a little generous, it'll probably be nearer 10,000

It's only worth it if you are keeping it, as you'll have spent ~£20,335 over 4 years, and you can PCH one for less than £4k per year, and sometimes much less if you catch the good offers.

Soldato
instant search on hotuk
Fantastic price for this Hyundai Ioniq Electric 100kW Premium 38kWh 5dr Auto - works out at 17.3% of £34.5k P11D based on a 2 year lease with 8k miles with metallic paint. £199.99 per month (6+23 profile), plus £1,199.94 initial payment and £150 admin fee so a total of £5,949.71 - £247.90 net per month.

It's not the same model (Premium vs. Premium SE) and the mileage is different (8K per annum vs. 11K per annum). And it's a lease, not a PCP so no option exit early by selling or Voluntary Termination or option to purchase at the end.

Running the same model/mileage through that same supplier's website gives a 6+48 repayment schedule of £2214.76 deposit and fee plus 48 payments of £335.96 which is still £2400-ish cheaper than the PCP deal in the post above by @RoboCod. I don't mind Limited Company business leases because if it all goes bad, there is relatively little personal impact on the driver but a personal lease is a non-negotiable agreement where the driver can end up in massive financial trouble if their circumstances change and they can't meet the payments. With a PCP, because its a form of Hire Purchase agreement, you can get out of it much more easily, although not necessarily at no cost.

Soldato
It's not the same model
yes -of course

Given the rapid evolution of ev market, signing up(pcp, or lease) for 4 years sounds a long while, if, say, you did develop any 38KWh range concerns, ie. the next model may have a bigger battery for same price.

Is there a reason why you would sign for 4 years if 2 year were cheaper on the ~same car ? (perhaps if you were concerned about inflation, or just from a hassle perspective)

unitl you've payed off 50% ( is it?) of a 4 year pcp leaving is punitive, and, maybe no less so, than having to pay up front remaining terms on a 2 year lease.

Back
Top Bottom