What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Return of the Jedi. Went to this https://www.mso.com.au/performance/2024-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi#about-this-performance

No idea how many times I have seen it now, 10, 20 maybe. It's the weakest of the trilogy but it's still great. The orchestra were absolutely brilliant, there was about 50 of them. In fact they were so good I kept forgetting they were actually there. Playing the Imperial March for the first time as Vader drops in to witness the optimistic appraisal of the situation was epic.

Couple of downsides for me. The screen wasn't big enough. They used the remaster / re-edited version with the extended singing and dancing of the CGI characters in Jabbas palace. There's really no need, adds nothing to the film except perhaps the ability to generate revenue for some new funky looking dolls. Went with my mrs who is a real life movie goldfish, shes only seen it once during a 8 movie (no Phantom Menace, obvs) COVID weekend marathon we had and she said WTF is that bit with the CGI. The orchestra didn't play those bits either.
Whatever method or process they use to remove the music has dulled the sound somewhat. Dialogue was fine but some other sound effects were poor in particular the speeder / biker scout chase in the forest.

Entertaining thing to do on a Wednesday night nonetheless. There's a similar thing with The Terminator starting in May with some synth band. Might give that a go too.

That's pretty epic - but £90 a ticket?!

Caporegime
Logan (2017) - 9-9.5/10

Seeing the Deadpool and Wolverine trailer made me rewatch this epic film. Probably my 4th time watching it. Peak X-Men, peak Wolverine, almost peak any sort of Marvel tbh (I would only rate 3-4 MCU films at this level or higher).
Dafne Keen (Laura/X23) almost steals the whole show tbh, but Jackman is absolutely amazing in this. I would struggle to pick between this and Days of Future Past as his best movies as Wolverine. Logan pips it just due to his interactions and relationship with Laura.

I'm happy to go into the new movie knowing it won't be as good as Logan, won't even come close imo, but we get to see him use his claws one last time.

rp2000

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate
Yeah, actually cheaper than going to see a theater show or something like that. It is the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra though to be fair, it's not a couple of blokes with didgeridoos wearing sandals. Centre of the city, everything is expensive here!

Gladiator with live orchestra was an amazing experience.

Caporegime
Convenience - 7/10

Really enjoyed this. Low budget British comedy about a couple of crappy robbers trying to rob a convenience store. Has a couple of famous guest stars. Got Four Lions vibes from it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cobweb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9100018/

Worth a look if you're into horror movies or like something a little spooky.
Decent length for a movie of this type.

I thought the ending seemed somewhat unresolved or maybe even a little premature.
Also watched this tonight. Great suspense and atmosphere for the first 2/3's. Starr and Caplan both wonderfully unsettling (that ******* nightmare). Did lose it's way a lot towards the end though, and as you said, weirdly sudden ending.

Back
Top Bottom