What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. First time watching it - I've avoided it until now. Staggeringly tedious. No interesting characters and an incredibly drawn out story that dragged from one set piece to the next.

Smaug is better, but Five Armies, I thought was by far the least good of the three and was bordering on rubbish.

When it was announced that Jackson was going to produce The Hobbit with Del Toro directing, I was really excited. I would have never thought it possible that Jackson could make a pig's ear of it. He proved me wrong. :(

Soldato
A man from Uncle 8 - 10

I've never watched the original source material but I enjoyed every minute of it, the action was great, the comedy when needed dropped in well.

How they played off against each other worked well aswell. Didn't realize the brunette was the actress who played the android in Ex Machina.

Soldato
Spy 5/10
Statham was the best thing here. Other than that, I was glad when it ended although it had it's moments.

Terminator: Genisys
7/10
Well, it was never going to be on par with the first two, was it?
Still, it was enjoyable enough and it being better than expected is the best thing I can say tbh :D
Emilia Clark wasn't too bad in all honesty, but Jai Courtney was the **** casting choice that we all thought he would be.

All this Mayhem
8/10
Was never into skating, but I found this a very interesting documentary.

The Drop
7/10
Slow paced and not much happens. Still, I enjoyed it.
Good performances from all the major players.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Ok, so no real story, but it was shot well and everyone seemed like they were having fun.
Dunno how to score this one tbh. You'll either like it or you won't. I think I did :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. Another outing for Ethan Hunt and gang. Very enjoyable, some silly set pieces, some amazing actions scenes (motorcycle/car chase, even the throwaway airplane stunt), a bit of humour here and there to offset the action, but it's played very straight.

Rebecca Ferguson's character is great - a perfect foil for Ethan Hunt. She's gorgeous, but not cheesecake (despite the scene in the yellow dress to show you how stunning she is), she gives as good as she gets, and avoids being merely a supporting love interest or a damsel in distress. I like the joke about taking her heels off every time she does something action-y. Tom Cruise is standing up well, looking younger than other cast members who are ten (and more) years his junior.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Spy.

7/10.

As others have said, Statham was the best part of it. His lists of things he had survived/endured was brilliant. I even didn't hate miranda for about 30-40 minutes until she started to play the same horrendous slapstick, idiot, not in the slightest bit intelligent character she always does.

Caporegime
Shingeki no kyojin: Attack on Titan. As the live action version of a wildly popular anime, this could have been amazing. Sadly it suffers from a low budget that is painfully obvious in every scene.

Acting quality is not only poor, but inconsistent. Special effects look like they were thrown together in the late 90s. Music is unremarkable. Actors are unknowns. Plot is rushed. Somebody eats a potato.

The one thing they got right was the Titans; here they perfectly captured the essence of the anime. It's a frustrating glimpse of what could have been. 4/10.

Emilia Clark wasn't too bad in all honesty

She was yummy! :D

PayDay Lover
Associate
Spy.

7/10.

As others have said, Statham was the best part of it. His lists of things he had survived/endured was brilliant. I even didn't hate miranda for about 30-40 minutes until she started to play the same horrendous slapstick, idiot, not in the slightest bit intelligent character she always does.

To be fair, my understanding is that the director loves her show and wrote the part specifically for her - so there was little chance that she would be showing off an extended acting range (if she has any, who knows).

On another note, I watched Pixels. Not a fan of Adam Sandler, but this was probably one of his better movies (not saying much, I know). I enjoyed it but mainly because those old games are close to my heart so simply seeing them all was enough to bring a smile to my face.

Soldato
Hunters blood

A film I really enjoyed as a lad in the 80s but my god what was the younger me thinking
4/10

Plot is the same premise as deliverance and southern comfort

Back
Top Bottom