What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Dances with Wolves - The four hour version.

Utterly epic, I sat in front of the telly and simply didn't notice the time pass. Without a doubt, I think this is one of the finest films made.

10/10, no question.

100% agree, a brilliant film and often overlooked. The music is awesome:

Soldato
@IvanDobskey Too late, I bought it last night for £12 odd on Amazon Prime lol. I quite enjoyed it tbh. I definitely think there will be a 3rd film.

Wasn't as good as the first IMO.

Yeh, I felt it pretty much threw away the whole vibe of the original. It was too frantic and none of the traps / puzzles made any real sense. The backstory was dumb and the characters unlikeable. We switched it off about half way through :p

Man of Honour
House of Gucci
7/10
I know this has received mixed reviews but I really loved it. I thought the casting was fantastic, being genuinely surprised by how well Lady Gaga acted. I only went to see t because my daughter wanted to watch her. She struggled to follow the storyline but I enjoyed it. I also thought Adam Driver was great in it. I hated him in Star Wars but he was very well cast here. Al Pacino was as good as ever. The icing on the cake was the background music which was very period. I wouldn't mind watching it again.

Caporegime
Blood Red Sky - 7.5/10

I actually really enjoyed this, the plot sounds so absurd but it sort of works and is pretty intriguing throughout. The production values and the makeup/effects are really well done.

Man of Honour
Freedom Writers (Netflix)

Based on actual events and set in the 1990s, Hillary Swank plays a new teacher who takes over a class of seemingly unteachables, kids that have been given up on by the school system. She earns their trust and makes a name for herself but at what cost? you'll have to watch to find out. It actually got me getting the book that the kids wrote (Freedom Writers Diary) and reminded me I need to read the Anne Frank diary too. Reminded me of why I like these sorts of films and also reminded me of Dead Poet's Society too.

Swank plays the role amazingly as do those kids, although I'm dead certain most of those actors are well beyond 20 lol.

Encounter (Prime Video)

A new one that was on my watch list for some months and only just released on Prime. Riz Ahmed is one of my top fav actors after seeing him first in the show The Night Of (go watch it!) and then some rap/poetry stuff (search for The Long goodbye on youtube, it is an 11 minute short film, very powerful and relevant still).

This set a very different expectation from the trailer I'll say that much. I liked it but it was clear what direction it was going half way through. Amazing performance from Riz and the two kids. Not so sure I liked the script however. I'll give it 8/10 for performance and cinematic style alone but for teh script it's a 6.5 I'd say.

Associate
West Side Story (2021) - 4/10

There’s lots of entertaining dance numbers and a couple of great catchy songs, but the film could have done with subtitles as there’s a fair bit in Spanish or sung.

The story was a bit slow and boring with lots of political commentary and drama, which although a major part of the setting, did feel out of place with the musical elements.

Some humour and an emotional ending, but not really my kind of film.

Back
Top Bottom