Action I’m happy with around 100fps
adventure 100/60fps depending if it’s running RT /slow paced game

Racing - high as possible
Simulation 100

multiplayer
Try to get constant 144 even if that means medium/low

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends a lot on game, technology and so on. For single player with a decent adaptive sync implementation or better G-Sync I'll do 60FPS but 100 better, without adaptive sync has to be 100+. For any faster paced stuff 120 FPS minimum, though I don't really gain much above that, 144+ is definitely vastly diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 1440p 144fps.
I cap at 140fps in nvidia control panel.
I prefer to cap at 60 for single player strategy games, e.g. civ, where fps doesn't matter so it's better to keep heat and noise down.
Otherwise, I'll usually tweak settings to get 100+
Sometimes I compete in retro gaming so I really want 140, may even benefit from a higher hz monitor when this one dies.

Last edited:
Soldato
i always aim for what my 4k screen can do which is 144hz, most of my shooter games can hit that but some are around the 120hz mark which is still very good, i have played around and i find 90hz is the lowest frame rate i find good but anything lower i can tell when the action gets going and frame rates drop off, amd software does a really good job but you can tell when it drops down too low.

Associate
I feel am usually happy around 100+ but When i was playing remnant 2 i noticed some lows down in the 70s and it seemed fine

Soldato
75-80 tends to be my target. I start with everything on then gradually disable until I'm in that range. I very rarely feel the need to go 100+ though, I can't tell the difference tbh.

It has to be rock solid though, drops are a huge no-no. Consistency is key.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't really mind as long as it's a consistent frame rate.

On PC I have a 4090 and play on a 120hz 4k OLED but I just blasted through Spider-Man 2 on PS4 and played that at locked 40fps fidelity mode.

Soldato
Depends on the title, ideally 60. But I grew up with the N64 and was quite happy to plow hours in to games with frame rates in their early 20’s (if you were lucky!!).

If it’s a RTS I could go down to mid 30’s and it’s still more than playable. I don’t really play any competition or fast based games now as age has caught up with me!

Associate
Until I upgraded monitor to 144Hz earlier this year, I had been stuck on 60Hz for years. Now, I prefer 100fps as a compromise (heat/noise/performance) for competitive shooters, and happy with 60 for SP games.

Soldato
Modern gaming im happy with ~100fps as have a 100hz gsync monitor.

I was born in 84 though so grew up with an Amiga, gaming on friends consoles then went to a PC in 1996. Games we're often unplayable, but you still played them :D
TFX was a good one on Amiga, on my neighbours 'fancy' A1200 TFX ran at around 2 - 2.5fps. It looks incredible though. Any FPS games of the time e.g. Gloom you needed to have the window size the same as a postage stamp for it to run at ~10-15fps or full screen would be single digits. You could also run double pixels to speed things up.

Behind the iron game (FPS game) ran really well on the A500 as the devs coded it for A500. It was pretty incredible at the time to play a fluid FPS game on a 7mhz machine - https://www.mobygames.com/game/29030/behind-the-iron-gate/

In later years I was happy playing Unreal 1 at around 10fps before getting a 3dfx card which allowed many effects, higher resolution whilst also maintaining 30fps. Certainly the most memorable upgade and game to me.

I first played it at a friend house on his parents computer - Huge 19" monitor, big roland speakers, AWE32, 3DFX, Pentium II or maybe III. 4 of us sat in amazement in a dark run watching the intro castle flyby for maybe 10 minutes before playing the game. That PC back (1998) then must have cost in the region of £3500. At that point I had a 2MB on board graphics, 15" monitor, trust speakers, Soundblaster 16 and Pentium 133 (which cost 1k in 1996)

Last edited:
Associate
Modern gaming im happy with ~100fps as have a 100hz gsync monitor.

I was born in 84 though so grew up with an Amiga, gaming on friends consoles then went to a PC in 1996. Games we're often unplayable, but you still played them :D
TFX was a good one on Amiga, on my neighbours 'fancy' A1200 TFX ran at around 2 - 2.5fps. It looks incredible though. Any FPS games of the time e.g. Gloom you needed to have the window size the same as a postage stamp for it to run at ~10-15fps or full screen would be single digits. You could also run double pixels to speed things up.

Behind the iron game (FPS game) ran really well on the A500 as the devs coded it for A500. It was pretty incredible at the time to play a fluid FPS game on a 7mhz machine - https://www.mobygames.com/game/29030/behind-the-iron-gate/

In later years I was happy playing Unreal 1 at around 10fps before getting a 3dfx card which allowed many effects, higher resolution whilst also maintaining 30fps. Certainly the most memorable upgade and game to me.

I first played it at a friend house on his parents computer - Huge 19" monitor, big roland speakers, AWE32, 3DFX, Pentium II or maybe III. 4 of us sat in amazement in a dark run watching the intro castle flyby for maybe 10 minutes before playing the game. That PC back (1998) then must have cost in the region of £3500. At that point I had a 2MB on board graphics, 15" monitor, trust speakers, Soundblaster 16 and Pentium 133 (which cost 1k in 1996)
I had the same experience of the intro to Unreal haha, albeit on an iMac!

Soldato
80-120 range depending on the game. Have a 3840x1600 monitor capped at 120 in driver, then some games set lower where it just doesn't really matter like say D4 to 80. I don't play competitive FPS or anything though so usually have graphics turned up pretty high

Soldato
60+ is playable, but I notice a significant increase in smoothness and responsiveness around 80 FPS (of course this is assuming good frametimes which are even more important).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom