What gear do you wear?

Associate
OP
My point being with the armor under the hoodie is exactly as whats been said previously the tarmac doesn't take into account what bike your riding if its in a 30 or not i dont want to be injured so if I can help it at least a bit why not?

My friend on his aprillia RS wears a leather jacket and normal jeans with Lonsdale trainers and a set of winter gloves from the pound shop.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Soldato
I've just started commuting and already sick of having to get changed, so just bought some casual looking TCX motorcyle boots and looking into jeans. Problem is most of the jeans are far too casual looking for work. Found some Furygan very dark blue that look like proper smart jeans, and then have actual armour on the knees and dont have the cross panel that most of them have. Just waiting for my size to come in.

In summer on a proper ride out I wear leathers - much cooler than textiles.

Soldato
From head to toe:

Shoei XR1100 lid (also have an Arai Chaser)
1 piece Wolf kangaroo race leathers (also have two piece Berik leathers)
Knox Handriod gloves (have my old crashed Alpinestars GP Pros too)
Side Vortice boots

I also have some Frank Thomas textiles, but they only really come out in the winter. I have a pair of Richa jeans, and have used these a couple of times for a commute down the M4 to work (might be doing that tomorrow actually :D)

Beneath this kit I wear a Forcefield back protector and Forcefield Pro Pants

To me, it wouldn't matter if it were a two minute, or two hour ride - I will always kit up using bits above - I know how the road hurts :(

Soldato
  • AGV T-2 Barry Sheene rep
  • Wolf 2 piece race kangaroo leathers
  • Wolf Sport 1000 Tech Style Kangaroo Race Gloves
  • Oxtar race boots (bit old now so looking for replacements)

Soldato
My kit is a mix of old and new, I started doing 95 miles a day again last year and quickly realised what's suitable for a weekend of playing isn't suitable for distance work.

Helmet: Shoei Diabolic TC2.
Pinlock wins! I'd consider a decent flip lid a better bet for commuting though, also it's not the quietest of lids if i'm honest but the skirt kit is said to fix that.

Jacket: Hein Gericke Tourist Gortex.
Yes the one in the stupid beige/red combo that no sane person would ever buy to commute in on UK roads year round and expect it to look clean, unless it was stupidly cheap when they were shutting the local store. It was. Meh. CE armour in all the usual places.

Trousers: Hein Gericke black Shelltex trousers.
Free/stolen from the wife when she gave up learning to ride. CE armour added.

Gloves: Knox Zero.
They're dry (so far), but not amazingly warm, the build quality is very good though and they've stood up well to the daily abuse. A pair of silk gloves fit under them for cold days/longer rides.

Neck Tube: Hiking fleece tube, it's in the wash or i'd check the brand :D
This over the top with a wind stopper underneath. When it rains the fleece gets soaked, it's not unheard of for me to shove it through the 1 ton press at work to get the water out, the important thing is it prevents water from getting inside my suit and the wind stopper does what it claims.

I normally wear a base layer under my synthetic's when it's cold, when it's freezing I break out the heavy artillery:

Klan heated waistcoat.
After 30 miles or so on a cold night you start to feel the wind chill, 0c ambient is something like -11c at 70mph. This is enough to keep my core body warm and the blood still flowing to my hands in the middle of winter, my only regret is not getting the sleeved jacket or fleece version.

Klan heated gloves.
Keep the top of my hands toasty, the heated grips take care of the bottom of my hands, sadly despite the claims they aren't waterproof and the protection is dubious at best. I've also ridden long enough/fast enough to find out they aren't that effective when it's below freezing at 'speed'. Next time i'd just go with the heated inner gloves and wear my existing Knox Zero's assuming they'd fit.

Boots:

Bata Aquaboot's are my normal commuter boot of choice, they're 100% waterproof after years of abuse, durable, inexpensive at £40 or less and offer a reasonable amount of protection. In summer I wear Spidi Vertigo Evo's, they are not waterproof but do an amazing job of retaining the stuff to the extent you can tip it out when you stop. I've attacked them with Renapur and they're not much better. I used to do a 2 mile commute and wore Nitro NB30 paddock boots as I could get away with them in a casual office and they were comfortable.

Not sure about summer yet, most of my previous bike gear is more suitable for sports bikes so full race leathers would probably cause a smile or two with me on a F650GS now. I suspect i'll stick with my old Frank Thomas synthetic trousers and Riossi leather jacket in summer with my trusty Knox back protector or I may just stick with what i've got year round.

Associate
I commute 20 miles to work every day for work on my Yamaha TMax and wear the following

Hood ND4 - kevlar lined jeans with knee and hip armour £140
http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/nd4-motorcycle-jeans-mens.html#a51

Richa Boomerang - Textile jacket £110
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/2586-richa-boomerang-textile-motorcycle-jacket.html

Richa Everest Trousers - removable water proof and thermal lining, goes over my jeans in the wet or in winter when its really cold £80
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/3352-richa-everest-motorcycle-trousers.html

Caberg Ego Helmet - Always go with Caberg because they fit my head shape perfectly and it comes with a sun roof! £110
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/3251-caberg-ego-motorcycle-helmet.html

Richa Gloves - Can't remember what they are, have a winter and all weather pair £25-£40

Richa Boots - Again can't remember what they are, but have had them for 3 years and they look as good as new

Associate
Went textiles. Been riding 1 year now.

HJC FG-15 lid (so comfortable for my egg shaped noggin:D)
Hein Gericke Pro-sports jacket
Hein Gericke Crafty pants (zips all the way round to the jacket on the waist)
Bullson Manx boots
Hein Gericke Goretex tour gloves.

Want...
Sidi Vertgo, Vertebrae or A*'s SMX 5 boots.
Furygan leather or textile jacket.
Furygan leather or textile trousers.

Last edited:

spp

spp

Associate
Speaking of kit, what are peoples opinions on back protectors? I am looking at getting one, but have read that some people think they are of little use, as most back injuries result in lateral motion of the neck/spine, as appose to direct impact of the back. Maybe a neck brace would be a decent bit of kit.

Associate
The people who think back protectors are of little use are idiots. :mad:

Having seen a friend paralysed from a very low speed off and hitting his back on a kerb I would never ride without one.

Soldato
Arai Tour-X3 lid with Pinlock fitted (a great invention),
Furygan leather jacket,
Icon Superduty 2 pants (Aramid lined),
Knox Biomech gloves,
Sidi Vertgo boots.

Forcefield chest/back protector,
Forcefield Pro shorts,
Forcefield limbtubes: knee.

Not a fan of slip in armour within baggy clothing; it'll just shift away from where it's needed, just as it's needed.

Thing with mishaps, there's a lot of varibles involved.. Lids, boots, gloves and armour. None of them are guaranteed to save you from harm but they all reduce the chances and that's why folk use such kit.

Soldato
I took the armour out of my jacket; it was the bog standard crush armour, poor coverage and bulky.

Take a look at the Forcefield Pro Sub 4, it's pretty slim with good coverage.. The A* is also slim but it's only CE Level 1.

Caporegime
Anyone have any opinion on the Alpinestar Bionic Back Protector Air (http://www.getgeared.co.uk/ALPINESTARS_Bionic_Back_Protector_Air?sc=58&category=-158).

I like the fact that air can get to your back. For those of you who where back protectors, do you take out the back protector that is in your bike jacket (If you have one). Or keep it in and have double the protection.

The Forcefield ones constantly come out on top both in reviews and in tests and from a quick look, the old Alpinestar Bionic (non air - without the holes I guess) was only rated average for actual back protection in the reviews I saw. I doubt many would keep their jacket's protection in as many mold to your back's shape and with the Bionic you'd be blocking the air holes if you did that too.

Caporegime
Hein Gericke Gore-tex jacket, rain or shine.

Hein Gericke Gore-tex trousers for long distance, jeans locally.

Berghaus Gore-tex walking boots.

Hein Gericke Gore-tex winter gloves. Magma summer gloves.

I need to get a decent summer jacket with good venting. Has to be Gore-tex obviously :)

Associate
Ooo there is a 2 piece Furygan leathers for sale which should fit me! But then I think I will stick to textiles so I can use them all year rather than for 1 month of the year.

Looking at other textiles earlier prices seem to be really decent this year. May buy some new trousers as mine are a bit snug on the waist now lol. But still want a Furygan textile jacket! Love the look of that brand.

Associate
OP
Since the hot weather has creeped in and im thinking more and more of not riding in my gear im curious to see what you guys are riding in today?

Anyone? :)

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Since the hot weather has creeped in and im thinking more and more of not riding in my gear im curious to see what you guys are riding in today?

Anyone? :)

The only change i make in the hot weather is losing the leather jeans & switching to draggin jeans, oh & a tendency to leave my leather jacket unzipped in town, other than that every thing stays the same as before

Back
Top Bottom