What Gives You the Right?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Spelling and grammar mistakes don't bother me that much, but what really does bother me is:

- Text speak.
- Walls of text.
- Using all caps.
- Using strange fonts/sizes/colours.

Oh, and people who say could care less, instead of couldn't. That drives me insane :mad:

Soldato
As long as it's not txt speak and i can understand you then it's all gravy mate.

Some people can't seem to help themselves and feel they you are inferior if you can't place every bit of grammer in the correct place

Man of Honour
I really dislike people who are incredibly anal about spelling and grammar. I do get annoyed when people don't start their sentences with a capital letter, or something similar, but even those are nothing worth crying about.

I wonder if there is a correlation between grammar Nazism and happiness?

Soldato
I'll never mention it to someone online, and in debates I actually get more annoyed with people who do than those making the errors (address the argument, not the person making it).
However, reading poorly written posts with repeated, chronic errors will make me think less of someone and be more dismissive of what they might say.

Soldato
I also hate people who pick out spelling and grammar, there is no need on a forum. The majority of the time its done because they are on the loosing end of a discussion, or have decided to belittle you because of something you have written, but cant be bothered to construct a meaningful reply.

That isn't at all true, whenever I go into Grammar Nazi mode it's either because I'm trying to help someone look a little less daft or if their post is incomprehensible.

Oh yeah, it's losing by the way ;)

Caporegime
Spelling and grammar mistakes don't bother me that much, but what really does bother me is:

- Text speak.
- Walls of text.
- Using all caps.
- Using strange fonts/sizes/colours.

Those are the things that annoy me the most too...otherwise it doesnt bother me if your grammar isnt perfect...hell mine is far from perfect lol...why you think i break up my sentences with periods??:D

Man of Honour
That isn't at all true, whenever I go into Grammar Nazi mode it's either because I'm trying to help someone look a little less daft or if their post is incomprehensible.

Oh yeah, it's losing by the way ;)

It depends how it is addressed.

It's spelled 'necessary' :) - is fine. However people tend to be very snide and petty about it, so it just comes across as pompous.

Because you're a woman? They break up good moods with periods.

Badum-tish :p

Capodecina
Soldato
Oh, and people who say could care less, instead of couldn't. That drives me insane :mad:

Y2NA1ciNoim2cf2gQg2PKhL1o1_400.png

Man of Honour
Feelings are pretty much summed above. The occasional mistake I have no problem with, everybody makes them. It's the strong impression of either not giving a toss or being blatantly rubbish at English that makes the blood boil.

Though it has to be said grammar nazis are very pedantic.

The thing that really irritates is if two parties are having a debate, one loses so picks the other's grammar and spelling up. :/

Don
nobody really cares about spelling that much, as long as some punctuation is used, making the post easy to read, it's all good :)

what does grind my gears is text speak..

ie

wat do u fink i shud buy fr my pc coz its goin well slow

Soldato

Think this comes from the American influence, they always use it and I have never seen a show filmed in america that used the correct phrase.

Yes, drives me nuts too :D

Associate
I applaud Grammar Nazis - they do a fine job. I hate it when people don't make any effort with writing - I don't care that this is 'just a forum', if you're writing for other people to read it, make the (practically negligible) effort you lazy ****.

Such examples that annoy me include:

yea i saw that on the telly to it was well gud. did you see that guy get shot in the face that was well a lol moment i nearly fell off me chair when i saw it and my mum was in tears laffin aswell i thought she was never gonna stop lol.
I've just brought this TV and was wondering how to change the colour settings
I also Hate it when people randomly Decide to capitalise words That do not need capitalization.

just been reminded of another...when someone uses the three dots instead of structuring sentences properly...and doesnt even put a space in between the dots...arrrgghhh
:p

I could go on. If anything, why wouldn't you want the 'Grammar Nazis' picking up on your mistakes, it's how we learn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom