What happened to ecoboost?

Caporegime
...as it doesn't seem very economical anymore.

Mother in law got a Ford Kuga Zetec 1.5 petrol and on reading the brochure, it's really poor. Aside from the 1.5 petrol being the dirtiest of the range (173 g/km), even Ford acknowledge the the mpg is a load of rubbish.

bb0e5fd2ba7fad724c6796884f44c988.jpg

I don't understand the point of the Kuga, it just seems a big heavy car with a woefully poor engine.

Did ford just rip up the memo about efficiency?

Last edited:
Caporegime
i don't know what SUV's you normally drive but why don't you take a look at the mpg of a petrol range rover sport then come back and tell us this isn't a lot better.

Soldato
Since when is 37.7mpg rubbish? Especially in a heavy 4x4 with 180bhp. People are just too obsessed with mpg these days just because manufacturers quote 60-70mpg on diesels which they achieve in unrealistic testing conditions.
Even the most efficient small engined diesel hatchbacks only achieve around 50mpg on average when driven in normal conditions.
Although I don't believe all these smaller turbocharged engines are much better than the older n/a engines

Caporegime
Since when is 37.7mpg rubbish? Especially in a heavy 4x4 with 180bhp. People are just too obsessed with mpg these days just because manufacturers quote 60-70mpg on diesels which they achieve in unrealistic testing conditions.
Even the most efficient small engined diesel hatchbacks only achieve around 50mpg on average when driven in normal conditions.
Although I don't believe all these smaller turbocharged engines are much better than the older n/a engines

To be fair, I do better than that in a 2.4 tonne monster! Though it is diesel but has over 300bhp.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think you drove a Range Rover? EU weight for yours is 1800kg and the Kuga 1500.

...as it doesn't seem very economical anymore.

Mother in law got a Ford Kuga Zetec 1.5 petrol and on reading the brochure, it's really poor. Aside from the 1.5 petrol being the dirtiest of the range (173 g/km), even Ford acknowledge the the mpg is a load of rubbish.

I don't understand the point of the Kuga, it just seems a big heavy car with a woefully poor engine.

Did ford just rip up the memo about efficiency?

It was the best selling small SUV for quite a while, I suspect it made Ford quite a bit of money.

Caporegime
Ecoboost is a salesman's trick, nothing else. It's Ford's way of saying "hay guise can haz turbo also lolz but ours is for eco and stuffs". As evidenced by the fact that the GT is also "ecoboost".

Soldato
I think he's referring to the fact that the ecoboost engines in other models have a claimed ~60mpg. But this is easily explained by the fact that most of the ecoboost engines are 1.0l, with 120bhp, in cars like the Fiesta which is just over 1000kg and 2wd.

Associate
I have a 2011 Ford 1.6 Petrol Ecoboost (150 PS), which has return about 36.3 mpg since I've had it. I'd imagine that the Kuga would return a much lower real life mpg than what is quoted!

Caporegime
OP
It amused me how Ford chose to word 'just 37.7mpg', surely that would have been worded better if it was talking about CO² and it was a low figure?

Soldato
Heavy car is the reason, like all SUVs. Probably not very aerodynamic either.

The 1.6 with 215hp (mountune) in my Fiesta ST was pretty good for what it was though, used to get almost 40mpg in daily driving.

You will rarely hit the official figure unless you have a very light foot and don't have to stop in traffic. The trick is staying off the turbo in a turbo car :D

Last edited:
Soldato
MPG is the biggest con. I don't mind the eco boost engines however. Had a fiesta with one and now have a focus with the 150PS and automatic. Average just over 30MPG but most of my journeys are probably less than 5 miles (60%) with 5% being over 10 miles. So hardly going to be the most economical.

Kuga is a lot heavier... and regarding the Range Rover they make Kuga look fantastic. My mums evoque gets worst MPG than my dads XKR.. my mum drives like an old lady and my dad drives his car how it should be driven.

Soldato

What exactly do you define as "normal conditions"?

My A3 can get between 60-70 mpg in what i define as "normal conditions" - i.e. the usage pattern that i most frequently use the car for.

Back
Top Bottom