I had just the Polo
Then I had just the grey Corolla
Then I had the Skoda and the Celica
Then I had just the Skoda
Then I had the Skoda and the red MX5
Then I had the red MX5 on its own
Then I had the red MX5 and the E30
Then I had the black MX5 and the E30
Now the black MX5 is 95% broken for parts, and I have the red Corolla and the E30.

And now we are up to speed with my mental-ness.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a rear drop link fitted. The previous one had snapped due to my driving. £80.40 at a main dealer which I thought was alright considering the part is £25 from ECP and they're apparently a bit of a pain as the ball can pop right out of the joint due to manufacturing defects.

Also decided to plan towards getting an RX-8 too next year whilst I was sat waiting leafing through their beautiful coffee table books. Don't know if I'd keep my 6 for reliabilities sake. I imagine it'd be hard to sell a 2.5 saloon though and I have spent a fair amount sorting it out.

Just need to get a house with a garage first...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes. And no. :p

I had just the Polo
Then I had just the grey Corolla
Then I had the Skoda and the Celica
Then I had just the Skoda
Then I had the Skoda and the red MX5
Then I had the red MX5 on its own
Then I had the red MX5 and the E30
Then I had the black MX5 and the E30
Now the black MX5 is 95% broken for parts, and I have the red Corolla and the E30.

And now we are up to speed with my mental-ness.

That's in the space of 2 years?

Associate
Big improvement ghost! The standard ones look like the pants you get in a fiat!

Yep standard ones are pretty horrible. Although there are 4 more of them along the top of the dash (only way to remove is windscreen out) but I think nicer ones like the Audi ones won't fit as they have far too much depth to them for the top of the dash. Plus the basic look suits along the top of the dash, the nicer ones were definitely needed and give a lot more direction/flow control :)

Really happy with it but I got carried away with the dremel on the passenger side and it's a tiny bit loose, going to give it a dab of grab adhesive just to stop any rattling etc. It's not quite uncharted territory but most go with the early TT vents which I didn't like, these feel a lot more fitting :)

Though the vast majority in the last 18 months

To be fair 8 odd cars in 3 years isn't too bad :p

I think I'm on about 35 in 13/14 years and have a friend who's on about 60 in about the same time period :)

Associate
Is it that hard to find one worth keeping?

Lots of cars out there to try :D I've run two cars for as long as I can remember though so I suppose two lots of the itch to change :)

Edit: Actually I think i exaggerated, more like 30 :) Few cars which I only kept for a month or two as decided I didn't like them and shfited them on straight away :)

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
What are your opinions on this?

Mk 6 Golf GTI went in for service at small, family-run VW dealer from which the car was purchased, and subsequently visited for all work. They did a service, which included replacing the spark plugs, etc. and went for a drive to check everything.
On the drive home, the car was clearly misfiring under heavy load. By the time car got home, dealer was closed, so called first thing in the morning and took the car in. They replaced the ignition coil (which they looked at during the service and said was still OK!). We're prepared to pay for the parts, obviously, but doesn't feel that we should pay for the labour and time for another test drive as they should have noticed and rectified the problem during the service. FWIW, boss man is on holiday, and the son is in charge, and he's being difficult.

If they're difficult and make us pay for everything again then they've lost a customer. Thoughts?

TLDR: car develops misfire on way home after replacing spark plugs in service; dealer expects us to pay for all labour costs again for replacing faulty ignition coil, which they looked at and deemed good enough. Car was fine when it went in; I drove it like I stole it on Friday.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can't really look at an ignition coil and tell it is ok. Probably failed during removal/refitting or due to new spark plugs Having a slightly bigger gap

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You can't really look at an ignition coil and tell it is ok. Probably failed during removal/refitting or due to new spark plugs Having a slightly bigger gap
Fair enough. Is it reasonable for them to charge labour for fitting and another test drive when the car left the dealer faulty in the first place?

Soldato
Placed my order for a new Type R today.
Championship White was end of November so ended up going with Red which is middle of Sept.
Save £500 by having the standard red so thats £500 that can go towards being properly detailed and protected to get the most from the red :)

Back
Top Bottom