1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Acme

Caporegime

You still got the BananaSaab-stra @andy_mk3 ?

Also this oil filter removal tool works excellently for undoing and re-torquing filters and housings. I've used it where other types of tool have failed, including chain wrenches, strap wrenches, oil filter sockets, hammers & screwdrivers, and similar but flat-legged rotary tools. Ignore the stupid review.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BERGEN-ADJUSTABLE-Filter-Wrench-Remover/dp/B01FFR6W72

2. Finglonga

Wise Guy

That is an Epic review. :D

3. Diagro

Sgarrista

Wow that review... Some people

4. grudas

Capodecina

conversations are for wussies as my s2000 with a hks single exit would say... :D

5. Acme

Caporegime

Bet I could take you in a straight line in the whisper quiet grandaddymobile :p

6. Steeps

Mobster

99% of the time it is just me in the car, but when I can't have a conversation with myself you know it's too loud :D

[​IMG]
    Redneck engineering, concept has worked great for noise loss but power has dropped slightly, might look at widening the fins to allow more flow on mk2

[​IMG]
    Straightest bit of exhaust closest to the rear of the car after the resonators

[​IMG]
    Snug fit thanks to the kink in the exhaust, no movement/vibration so far. Not welded in

7. grudas

Capodecina

Probably I care not, corners is where the fun is at.

8. Acme

Caporegime

Haha true! To be honest I'm surprised at how well it handles itself in the twisties for such a large comfort oriented car.

9. Simon

Capodecina

No chance.

10. Housey

Man of Honour

Badly scuffed a wheel on my way to the dealership for a big service and MOT.

What else could go wrong....noooooo

11. Acme

Caporegime

I'm not saying its a handling machine, I've had nice handling cars before, MX5's, one of which had sticky tyres and coilovers, the T-Sport with coilovers and Pilot Sports was a bit of a weapon too!

This doesn't come anywhere near them, I'm just saying I was surprised. I was expecting it to be completely hopeless, but its not.

Its a million times better than say, the Octavia, despite the Octavia being considerably smaller and lighter, but its not as good as my friends '06 A4 S-Line. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 3:00 PM
  12. acemastr

Mobster

One day Acme will buy a decent car and experience some power and handling and stop thinking his rust buckets are actually good.

13. Acme

Caporegime

Nice.

I don't recall comparing any car I've owned to a brand new M2 or whatever, but even when I try to be objective its good to see people can still find time to be dicks.

That said my £1000 Volvo goes faster, accelerates harder, and handles better than your truck. :p

14. Simon

Capodecina

It won’t be any faster in a straight line either

15. Cookeh

Sgarrista

What exactly makes a P2 Volvo S60 T5 a rust bucket and what prevents it from being a "good" car? I'd readily agree with you on most of his other cars but from what I've seen with this one there is nothing really wrong with it, and as a base car the P2 T5s are perfectly decent cars with above-par performance.

16. Acme

Caporegime

Its because its me.

But anyway, there was nothing wrong with the Polo, Octavia, MX5 #1, MX5 #3 (despite appearances), Corolla #1 or Corolla #2, and theres nothing wrong with the Volvo.

MX5 #2 and the Celica were sheddier than B&Q during a shed sale, and the E30 was (and to a certain degree still is) definitely a rust bucket, but I still consider the E30 a success. :D

I think 8 / 10 is a decent success rate given that I tend to go for bottom-of-the-market cars :p

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM
  17. acemastr

Mobster

It isn't because 'it's you'.

The Volvo isn't a bad car, but it also isn't designed for what Acme is using it for, it's a comfortable motorway vehicle with some grunt to make that job easier.

Go lease a Golf R (I despise Golfs... remember this) and you'll find out just how much better the handling and power can be. I picked the Golf as from what I read there are decent deals on them, anything modern with a turbo is going to be decently faster/handle better.

I'm not attacking you, you've just not owned a broad range of old/new is what I'm getting at.

18. Cleisthenes

Soldato

Congrats, you got free postage! :rolleyes:

19. adam cool dude

Soldato

Yes but a Golf costs 20k used. My old Saab will keep one honest on a motorway and costs peanuts. Let Acme have his fun. I am sure he knows the limitations of his car.

20. Acme

Caporegime

I didn't claim I have, nor did I claim that the Volvo is anywhere near as good as a Golf R (or similar) in any way shape or form, though I would wager that my old MX5 with its coilovers would whoop a Golf R's arse on the autocross. In fact I don't think there are many cars which handle better than a well sorted MX5.

All I said was that the Volvo doesn't handle as ****ly as I expected it would, and now you're saying that I think it handles excellently, something I said in the same post, that I don't think at all. Why can't I just say "ooh the Volvo doesn't handle quite as much like a barge as I expected" without this happening... :rolleyes:

I'll remember not to say that it handles much better than it did once I've fitted the new shocks and Eibach springs because I might be accused of thinking my Volvo is some kind of Lotus... :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 4:27 PM