1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. MrRockliffe

Mobster

After getting some good news after my MOT that my tyres were indeed replaced when I bought it, I've only gone and wrecked left side :(

Completely my fault too - had a mental cow in a 4x4 slam on her breaks and turn left into a retail park (nearly went into the back of her), and as I went past, I looked into her car to see if she was on her phone, and caught the edge of the kerb of the exit lane at 25 MPH, taking a chunk out of my alloys and tyres :( To make things worse, she nearly caused a crash on a roundabout only 5 seconds before (again, me in it). Just swerved round it from opposite direct with no indication :o

Just spent £420 on my car for a service, MOT and some other things :mad:

I flipping hope suspension is okay :(

No pics unfortunately - I'm too chicken to go and properly assess the damage :p

2. Marvt74

Capodecina

Considered it, and i might do if i start to do more with cars but for such minor jobs it seems silly to buy them and then have to think about storing them given the size.

3. Malt_Vinegar

Underboss

Never had a car fall off axle stands. I tend to use them with the Jack still under as a third point of contact a d always use chocks on the ground touching wheels.

Never let me down yet

4. Phil W

Sgarrista

Found some grease on the inside of one of my wheels. Quick check over confirmed a split CV boot. Being sorted this week.

[​IMG]

5. Marvin

Mobster

I'd definitley go the ramp route for your use. I use a set of Rhino Ramps which stack together and really don't take up that much space (more than a couple of axle stands I grant - assuming you already have a jack), but I feel more comfortable working under the car when it's on those. Plus it's easier to do - no jacking up etc. They're also useful even if you are going to jack the car up as you've got it in the air already, and because of the weight they'll take you can use them as emergency/safety stands too.

6. tom_e

Man of Honour

Fitted a new lambda sensor, hopefully that should fix my engine management light deciding to light up.

7. Diagro

Sgarrista

I have a set of Ramps.

Unfortunately, car is too low to use them on the front haha

8. Acme

Caporegime

To be honest most cars are. The Volvo (stock height) can literally only just go up them without the bumper hitting the ramp.

For every single other car I have to use blocks of wood/bricks in front of the ramp.

9. Glanza

Sgarrista

Oil change to keep up with maintenance, Millers Nano tech.

10. Meaker

Mobster

[​IMG]

Got my front brace fitted.

11. Acme

Caporegime

Fixed my exhaust clonking noise. It had sagged in the middle a little and was resting on top of one of the cross-braces. Loosened the various clamps, jacked it up, tightened the clamps back up, now has 1cm clearance again. Bit strange. Would have expected there to be some kind of support in that area but can't see anywhere on the floor or the exhaust where it would go.

No oil consumption at all after 2000 miles or so, a lot of which was full throttle hooning, so thats nice too. No idea if its even an issue with these engines but its good to check anyway. :p

12. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

Took off three wheels for a good clean, one bolt stuck on the forth wheel :(

Tyre place took it off this morning, so will do the last one tonight.

Actually, might clean out the arches whilst i'm at it.

13. Funky-Melon

Hitman

Engine wise they are usually fine with oil. It's the PCV breather box system that's crap on turbo Volvo's and gunk up with oil over time. It failed on my T4 and last month failed on my T5. Not that expensive to sort when it does go :)

14. Cookeh

Sgarrista

It is an issue, here and there. Rear camshaft seals leak, oil filler gaskets fail spectacularly fairly frequently and often within being noticed, PCV as mentioned is the main point. If that gets left long enough it will bulge and ruin your rear main seal and then you'll have a heck of a leak.

15. acemastr

Mobster

Traded the truck in... 2019 Mustang GT Premium :D

Waiting on mine coming in but the dealer gave me one to drive around in until it comes in.... oh god V8 sounds...... hnnnnnnnnnnnnng

16. Phemo

Soldato

Awesome, what colour did you go for?

17. Skillmister

Capodecina

Had a brake caliper start sticking back in Feb. Didn't realise until after a couple of long motorway journeys so it had done a number on the pads and disc. Got all replaced. New caliper started sticking again a month later so took it back and got it swapped for a new one. Now it's started sticking again. Not bad enough to notice when driving but got out of the car after a motorway blast yesterday and could smell it and feel the heat coming off.

Surely not 2 faulty new calipers in a row but any ideas what could be causing it?

18. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Stuck sliders? Corroded caliper carriers pushing up on the pads, causing them to not release?

19. acemastr

Mobster

Kona blue is my preference, they are trying to source me one with the 401A package (digital dash).

Currently driving around in a velocity blue

20. Vita

Capodecina

Other day had my car remapped by someone who actually knows what they’re doing and logged on the road.

My existing map wasn’t very good, with it having safety parameters turned off.

Safe to say, the car goes reasonably fast now.