1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. almoststew1990

Mobster

Big big day today, I removed the 2015 tax disk finally. The holder has many, many years of tax disks in it too. I only removed it because it's been replaced by an English Heritage sticker.

2. Diagro

Sgarrista

I have changed the exhaust on my MPS.

Sold the Jetex, replaced it with a COBRA exhaust.

It's much louder yet nice and quiet when sitting at 3k on the motorway.

Heard a few pops too.

Just spent an hour polishing the tips.

3. Acme

Caporegime

Must be nearly time to link the triggers broom sketch. :p

4. BennyC

Capodecina

Had this intruder removed...

[​IMG]

ABS alert & tyre pressure monitor failure flashed up for two minutes on Friday around midday then disappeared. Was fine for around another 24 hours then a tyre pressure loss warning came on.

Checked at the nearest petrol station after a roadside check at 6PM~ and it was down to 32psi from 42psi. Had some issues with the bead on the inside edge back in February when new wheels were fitted and was dreading having to bin the tyre which was new in December.

8AM today and it was flat as a pancake :o Track pump to the rescue, held for a few hours whilst running an errand and getting myself to a garage.

5. Marvt74

Capodecina

Seems worth asking in here rather than creating a new thread.

How safe are axle stands? I've bought stuff to change the oil/filters on my car and at my old house it was fairly safe as it was a quiet terraced street. Now, whilst the road outside my house is a lot quieter, it's a private lane which leads to a few industrial units. There is a speed bump around 50m from the house and sometimes lorries bounce over it causing the ground to rumble a bit.

Whilst it's rare for lorries to go down the lane out of business houses. I have visions of one turning up whilst i'm under the car and causing the car to fall down on top of me!

6. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Stands are safe enough but I personally wouldn't want to use them on a road unless I absolutely had to.

7. Marvt74

Capodecina

Yeah it's not ideal.

[​IMG]

It's not much of a road though and i could probably count on one hand the number of cars which go down there out of business hours. We do have a drive but it's sloped so not really ideal.

8. vanpeebles

Soldato

I don't think I'd fancy that. If they are V shaped ends, and they have a good hold on something, I reckon it would be ok, but pretty sporting. The flat ends with short lips on, I could see the car shifting. You can also put something under the wheels. I use a mix of axle stands, and chopped up scaffolding boards under the wheels, plus the jack if needed. (as an extra support)

9. Marvt74

Capodecina

10. vanpeebles

Soldato

They look decent enough, how heavy is the car, and what is the job? :)

11. Marvt74

Capodecina

I'd guess around 1400kgs. It;s an Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Just changing the oil really (Can you guess i'm not overly experienced in this field :p). So shouldn't be under there long.

12. MarkeR

Mobster

Fitted a Carplay dongle onto my Android head unit. Worked right out of the box, car play is such a joy to use compared to any other head unit I have had. Everything just works the way is should do!

13. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

I'm not a fan of the V shaped ones as on my car there is nothing for them to safely hold onto, I prefer flatter ones due to the underside of my car.

I just did a quick streetview, looks like it's more a side track entrance/exit as the industrial area has a proper named road to it's North. It really is a road though and I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable working on a car there personally.

As you're doing an oil change, I'd probably not even bother with stands unless I absolutely had to (car too low etc.). You could just drive the car onto some of the planks to raise the nose enough to get an oil drain pan under it, that's how I do mine (drive it onto some 2x4.

14. vanpeebles

Soldato

Yeah depends on what you have underneath :) I guess it will have an undertray too.

15. Scania

Capodecina

I’ve driven over a speed bump in the truck fully loaded (44t) and the vibrations were enough to knock over a parked moped!

With that in mind,I certainly would not use axle stands on a public road never mind one that’s access to an industrial estate.

16. vanpeebles

Soldato

You monster! I once set off a van alarm with my RC40 backboxed mini :D

17. Marvt74

Capodecina

Yeah undertray too, plus the oil filter housing is in a position where you need to access from the bottom to get it out.

18. vanpeebles

Soldato

Sounds like fun :D

19. Marvt74

Capodecina

Theres a reason i bought the axle stands in 2015, did one oil change and then have always taken it to a garage since :p

Would like to potentially pick up something old/fun in the future though so have decided to start doing more myself in preparation.

20. Howard

Capodecina

Why not get yourself a set of ramps? Much easier for the jobs that don't require a wheel off, and nothing short of an earthquake will cause the car to fall off them.