What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Gsx9MIh.jpg

echrljR.jpg
Went to the strip for the first time. Road set up, didn't do anything other than stick it in drag mode.
Better burnout, more rpm on launch, should get me into the 11's.
32c temps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So it turns out the E30's MOT ran out three months ago. Good job I don't drive it much, but I've definitely driven it since then! Jesus time has flown. :eek:

Got to do a few bits on it then book it in. Rear brake rebuild and continue trying to chase an abs fault.

Man of Honour
My ranger headlights are so bad they were dangerous. Upgrade to Predator Mustang style headlights with a light bar.

Bit concerned about the headlights on my Navara it isn't dangerous as such but I think could be better - full beam is fine but normal seems to be pointing downwards too much on the normal unladen settings.

Underboss
Bit concerned about the headlights on my Navara it isn't dangerous as such but I think could be better - full beam is fine but normal seems to be pointing downwards too much on the normal unladen settings.

wish i could change my Focus headlights easy as that, id like the HID ones from the Titanium, but i dont have the correct mot requirements for it to pass so you cant swap them over :(

Soldato
So, the standard radio in the Clio 197 was abysmal. Reception was terrible. Didn't fancy dropping the headlining to fit a new base. And wanted DAB in this car anyway, so in the meantime I fitted a cheap stereo from ebay that has DAB and bluetooth anyway. Went for a Kenwood KDC-BT720 DAB, as it'll take FLAC files off USB too.

Anyway, wanted to keep the steering wheel controls for a change. No idea why mind you. But the first kit that was sent to me (on Saturday) didn't work. Finally got the replacement today. Fitted it all up, works fine now. So finally got my car back together.

Soldato
wish i could change my Focus headlights easy as that, id like the HID ones from the Titanium, but i dont have the correct mot requirements for it to pass so you cant swap them over :(

As far as I know the washers for xenon lights only need to work if they're there so if a car has retrofitted xenon lights (as in proper manufacturer xenon headlight units, not crappy retrofitted HID kits) without retrofitted washers then it should be ok and pass an MOT. The light units themselves would include the levellers so it should be ok on that front too - someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I like Ford's headlight system as on many of their cars (except the Mondeo MK5 and probably some others) you can just take the entire headlight unit out with just 2 torx bolts. I imagine it isn't as simple as just switching the headlight unit out though.

Soldato
As far as I know the washers for xenon lights only need to work if they're there so if a car has retrofitted xenon lights (as in proper manufacturer xenon headlight units, not crappy retrofitted HID kits) without retrofitted washers then it should be ok and pass an MOT. The light units themselves would include the levellers so it should be ok on that front too - someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I like Ford's headlight system as on many of their cars (except the Mondeo MK5 and probably some others) you can just take the entire headlight unit out with just 2 torx bolts. I imagine it isn't as simple as just switching the headlight unit out though.

I thought the law states that you need headlight washers for xenons etc. to reduce the dispersion of the light beams. And are the levellers not usually situated on the rear axle or something, rather than the light unit itself? The point in the self levelling is so that if you have a boot full of stuff weighing the rear down, the lights are then not facing up, and so blinding oncoming traffic.

"once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling" (turns out the self levelling can be in the headlight itself, or can just be self levelling suspension).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

None the less, you CAN swap over to the standard Xenons. It just may not be very cheap to do so correctly and within the law. But it can be done.

Soldato
Presumably because none of them thought to fit the self levelling sensors and the washer jets? If you do that, then it's perfectly legal. You can't just swpa the light units and that be that.

Underboss
found my thread

Cars with HID come equipped with auto leveling headlights and headlight washers as it is required by the law. Not sure if this is required by the MOT in the UK though - it is not where I live.

With great difficulty if your MOT tester does their job properly, as mentioned by @bronc you need multiple extra bits of hardware installed AND working correctly, such as auto levelling and headlight washers etc.

so i would need to add all this, so cost too much , might as well get a different car ..

Soldato
Yes. You would probably be cost neutral trading it in for a Titanium or Titanium X. I know when I got my TiTX, it was only marginally cheaper than Zetecs and the likes (2015 car). There was only about £500 in it, so was a no brainer to go for the higher spec car.

Back
Top Bottom