1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Meaker

Mobster

Yeah I would need an uprated turbo to be in that region with my 1.6, i'm hoping 260-270 for now (at the crank).

2. paradigm

Caporegime

Finally had my Scorpion exhaust delivered for the TT (delays due to COVID-19), and fit it today, was amazed there was no issue at all in removing the old one, every bolt came undone without fuss, and I even managed to separate the cat pipe from the rest of the exhaust using nothing more than a bit of elbow grease.

This has led me to discover something new though when taking the car out for a run afterwards.

I’ve got a new grinding/rubbing (metal on metal I think) noise coming from the nearside of the car (not too sure front or back, I was hearing it in echoes from passing walls), it only manifests itself when above 15-20MPH or so, and only when going straight or left. Turning right makes it disappear completely. I would usually suspect wheel bearings for this kind of noise, however if the noise is on the nearside, I’d have expected to make it worse turning right (loading up the outside wheels of the turn) not better.

So should I assume it’s the wheel bearings, or could it be something else? CV joint perhaps?

3. Howard

Capodecina

I wouldn't be surprised if that's something as simple as a stone stuck somewhere. A friend of mine had very similar symptoms with her car and it was just a stone.

Whip the wheels off and have a poke around - you might be lucky.

But then it sounds like you've already had plenty of luck this weekend with your alarmingly easy exhaust swap. So who knows.

I'll shush now. :D

4. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Play on wheels bearings can be funny as the caliper clearance or pad release means you might get the noise on situations that are opposite to logic. Worth having a look if any evidence of play and contact with carrier and to free up the pads by removing and check they move freely on the guides.

5. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

It could be a pad stuck in a carrier as well. Sliding carriers are renowned for it. Every car should have monoblock calipers as standard imo!

6. paradigm

Caporegime

Well there’s nothing obviously stuck (like a stone) or grinding (like the guards behind the discs), but the nearside rear disk was scorching hot after a short drive, which could possibly mean a sticking caliper/pad.

Doesn’t appear to be any play in the wheel bearings either.

Looks like I’ll be stripping down the calipers next then!

7. Meaker

Mobster

[​IMG]

BOV and boost control solenoid :)

8. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Tested my eyes. The car still looks fantastic on a sunny day with the roof down. It’s been 3 months since I last drove the car and I slightly regret not going out for a pint of milk earlier in the lockdown when the roads were properly quiet. Lovey to get back behind the wheel!

9. vanpeebles

Soldato

With the mini still under control of a pair of blackbirds, I switched to the MGB and a huge pile of random parts. Also made a homemade bright work polisher from an old washing machine motor, 2 circular saw blades and a light switch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 3t3P

Mobster

Thanks you reminded me I'm due for an eyetest round about now but it's 11pm and my optician isn't open so I'm going for a drive.

11. Silent_Scone

Capodecina

80 Series turbo arrived safely

[​IMG]

12. bainbridge

Mobster

Great bit of diy there, makes me wish I kept stuff for tinkering instead of getting rid.

13. vanpeebles

Soldato

Cheers! Works lovely too. Really smooth motor and better than using the drill one handed while holding the trim! :)

14. Cookeh

Sgarrista

That is creative, fantastic. Wonder if one could retain the variable speed options

15. vanpeebles

Soldato

To be honest its just about right as is, not fast to scorch the metal or flay the wheels to bits. And you don't lose anything if the metal slips off.

16. LizardKing

Sgarrista

need to work on your welding :p seriously though that's a awesome!

17. vanpeebles

Soldato

Eeeee! It was some old rusty angle iron :D

18. paradigm

Caporegime

So, attacked the rear brakes of the TT at the weekend, both sides seem to slide freely, and whilst the discs were worse for wear, there was no obvious scoring from a trapped stone or suchlike. The dust shield at the back was still in decent condition and not rubbing.

Back to square one on the random scraping/rubbing noise.

Drove the car less than a mile to Sainsbury’s and noticed a very similar noise whilst going over the speed bumps and the car wasn’t warmed up fully (as previously the noise was only apparent after warming up). Got home and back on the ramps, crawled underneath and had a good old rummage, turns out when the exhaust is fully warm, it moves aft around half an inch (is this expansion due to heat, or is the whole engine moving rearwards on its mounts when warm?) and as a result was fouling the rear subframe ever so slightly, when turning right, the centrifugal (centripetal?) force would have been pulling the exhaust away from this point on the subframe.

So I undid all of the exhaust joints and rejigged it so that the bend in the exhaust was further toward the front of the car by around 0.75”. Hopefully this will mean the noise is gone.

Time to go for a drive and find out!

[​IMG]

19. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Yeah exhaust can grow in length around an inch when hot.

20. Nasher

Capodecina

Looks twisted slightly.