What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I found the oil seperator on the Abarth leaking from pretty much everywhere. Looks like someone ham fisted put a huge hole in one of the pipes while taking it out at some point. Not sure if that is causing the boost issue or not though :/

Man of Honour
Got it MOT'd today with an advisory for severely deteriorated cv boot, how quickly can they fall apart as it was only serviced roughly 3k ago and nothing was mentioned and I'd assume a quick look at bits like that would be done.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Picked up the Caterham after it’s 1000-mile service and am now taking it to the redline. It totally changes the car!
Banging it through the gears at 7000rpm makes the thing come alive. Gearing is spot on and the exhaust is incredibly loud; ear plugs are a necessity if driven like a loon.

Getting thumbs up and appreciative smiles everywhere I go. I reckon the world would be a better place if everyone drove a Caterham :D

Soldato
Got it MOT'd today with an advisory for severely deteriorated cv boot, how quickly can they fall apart as it was only serviced roughly 3k ago and nothing was mentioned and I'd assume a quick look at bits like that would be done.
From my experience, many garages just do the oil and filters. Ignoring the rest of the car.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Bled the cooling system on ma's '08 1.2 500. It's apparently had the odd issue ever since the cambelt and water pump were replaced by a garage (inconsistent heater performance, occasional gurgle/running water sound), I suspect because they never bled it properly after doing the job. Opening up two bleed screws and following a - maybe - six step procedure is just too much like hard work for some people :rolleyes:. Took me all of 20 minutes, 8-9 of which was the taking the car onto the A38 to beat the ever loving crap out of stay within the speed limit at all times officer.

Soldato
Upgraded the head unit (again, last one is 3 years old).

The AC set temp is giving an F rather than C value but otherwise is working well.

Soldato
Realised just how poor LED lights are in projection based headlights... absolutely no direction at all, so switched over to a nice new set of Osram jobbies on the Xedos9. Felt like I didnt' even have my lights on, so lesson's learnt there. Stick to proper bulbs with projection! (and it's legal rofl)

Soldato
Had a healight restorer kit knocking around so decided to give it a go.

51464122548_b55c2f072b_c.jpg

The N/S headlight was done first. Quite a difference between the two!

Soldato
Realised just how poor LED lights are in projection based headlights... absolutely no direction at all, so switched over to a nice new set of Osram jobbies on the Xedos9. Felt like I didnt' even have my lights on, so lesson's learnt there. Stick to proper bulbs with projection! (and it's legal rofl)

Interesting, so even the quality of light was not better (more whiteness?)

Had a healight restorer kit knocking around so decided to give it a go.

51464122548_b55c2f072b_c.jpg

The N/S headlight was done first. Quite a difference between the two!

Wow that really is a nice difference, do you have an electric buffing tool or done by hand? How old is the car?

Man of Honour
I took a new Defender 90 for a drive at the weekend, so not strictly my car but considering one for using as my main motor.
C3eBlRo.jpg
bj55YTf.jpg

Impressive step up from the previous generations but unconvinced of the practicality of the 90 over the 110. The issue for me is I don't like the look of the 110, I do like the 90 but when you take into account the pain in the backside to get into the rear seats and the space they consume it sort of ruins it a bit for me sadly. 250bhp diesel is a nice smoothish 6 and really doesn't feel wanting for power. Light, quiet around town but once over 60mph the wind noise isn't very good.

Not the most detailed of road tests, playing with configurators now but 9-12 months waiting list or......wait for it, £15K overs....

Man of Honour
I think keeping spec sensible is important but we live in a world of 45K posh Golfs so guess £55K for a base LR isn't....... no wait, it is crazy isn't it.

Man of Honour
250bhp diesel is a nice smoothish 6 and really doesn't feel wanting for power

This is something I find difficult to reconcile mentally - these kind of vehicles the experience between a decent power 6 cylinder and these far more eco-friendly 2-2.5L pushed to the edge of their capibility 4 pots is so different. In that respect will be nice when proper electric variants are reasonably priced and reasonably viable especially as the power delivery tends to compliment their use well - but currently you are looking well north of 100K for the conversion alone never mind the practicalities. I've not had a chance to investigate the hybrid variant.

On paper the 90 would probably tick a lot of boxes for me but my money kind of runs out at the bottom end of the pricing and I've never really gelled with Land Rovers. Shame Nissan never made a slightly smaller, improved, update for the Pathfinder with a decent V6.

Back
Top Bottom