What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Had someone reverse into my pickup today... the one time it would have been nice if they weren't honest because it was parked unattended at the time and there is zero indication on the vehicle itself cosmetic or mechanical, not a scratch, nothing moved a millimetre so wouldn't have even known while it has pushed their boot lid in a fair bit - fortunately the softest bit of theirs hit the hardest bit of mine - sucks for them though. Still gonna have to report it to my insurance company which no doubt will end up costing me :(

I'd even taken the time to park in a nice big bay out the way - but it was a new driver apparently only passed their test last week.

Was expecting to get bent over come insurance renewal - pleasantly surprised it has gone down £50.

Need to repair a scratch. It’s relatively deep and on plastic. I’ve bought the right colour touch up pen. What’s the best approach to get a good finish?

There are 100s of YouTube guides but my experience of doing stuff like this it is much harder to get good results without a lot of practise - even what looks good initially can end up less than ideal once it has properly dried or cured, etc.

To really get good results generally requires not being too faint of heart to have a go with 3 levels of very fine grit sandpaper and work up the result :( but very easy to make it worse rather than better.

Soldato
Installed new wiper blades and finished off a small* wiring job on the truck today. It should be pretty much MOT ready now, just need to get it booked in. For some reason I’m looking forward to legally driving it there with no number plates on, feels a bit rebellious :p

*Adding a fog light and number plate lights turned into making an entire new loom for the back half of the truck as well as adding the relay and switch and diode behind the dash. Bonus is I now also have all of the wiring in place ready for when I get around to adding a towbar.

Soldato
Finally getting the alloys done tomorrow.

When I picked up the GT the previous owner had the std 19" silver forged alloys done gloss black. When I inspected them they had some dull patches (almost like a fog/haze in places). They have some fish eye bobbles as well in the paint and the inside of the alloy is all rough from over spray. When I had the tyres done and the wheels balanced, the old weights came off and the wheels are silver underneath. When I took it to the wheel place they said, it had basically been done badly (wet sprayed).

So tomorrow they're getting taken off, dipped and cleaned and properly powder coated. Sticking with the gloss black.

Why do people do things on the cheap!

Soldato
Great opportunity to not spray them black again… a nice gunmetal or anthracite perhaps?

Just sayin :D

You're right - I did change my mind this morning when I dropped the car off. Going back to silver but with a fleck in. I'll pop a picture up tomorrow when I collect it. With the black I was looking thinking to myself, you just lose all definition. Silver looks smarter.

Soldato
Cleaned my pod filter and saw how mucky it was and modified the protection plate that sits below to fit again so it does not get so dirty. It interferes with the new intercooler.

624snBW.jpg

Also got some fresh wiper blades :)

37erOK1.jpg

Soldato
Good man, it’s the right choice.
Was starting to get dark but snapped two quick pics. Looks much better than gloss black and I love the fleck in the silver. :)

Wheels1.jpg

Wheels2.jpg

Man of Honour
Took it out and got it mucky AGAIN.

I hate the roads like they are now, pulled the cover off a gleaming car, went from A to B to A and parked a totally filthy car.

:(

Soldato
There are 100s of YouTube guides but my experience of doing stuff like this it is much harder to get good results without a lot of practise - even what looks good initially can end up less than ideal once it has properly dried or cured, etc.

To really get good results generally requires not being too faint of heart to have a go with 3 levels of very fine grit sandpaper and work up the result :( but very easy to make it worse rather than better.

This. The most comprehensive methods normally include cleaning and decontaminating the affected area, pulling back some (not all) clear coat around the damaged area with a fine abrasive (~1500) the slowly building up the paint layer with the touchup to a point just before it is level with the clearcoat. Lacquer applied in a few layers just proud of the finish surface then cut back flush with abrasives again. Compound out the now dulled area then polish.

Stone chips are significantly easier to do then scratches. If your objective is to make the scratch a little less obvious you might get a half decent finish from a decent distance. I think it's unlikely you will achieve a near factory finish on a scratch with touchup.

I need to do a small mark on my front bumper but apparently Ford don't do touch up kits any more -_-

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Took it out and got it mucky AGAIN.

I hate the roads like they are now, pulled the cover off a gleaming car, went from A to B to A and parked a totally filthy car.

:(
Tell me about it. Spent the best part of a day cleaning the Caterham a few weeks back. Been out twice for a short blat and it’s dirtier than it was after the 4 months before I washed it :(

Back
Top Bottom