What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Solved a problem that I've had for the last few weeks on my 2013 facelift W204 C63. Had a whine/moan from the power steering when warm which got worse and worse despite the fluid being changed and ensuring it was at the correct level. The reservoir was foaming up with air bubbles after driving (especially if you'd given it some welly) which was causing the moaning - but I couldn't work out what was causing the air bubbles/foaming.

1wKhsxlh.jpg

There were no leaks and I had the belt off and checked the pump for any play - absolutely none and it felt fine. I was almost about to get the power steering pump changed at £400 for the part + 7 hours labour when I decided to change the reservoir as a last ditch attempt for the grand total of £48. Well, that was a good decision, because it cured it instantly. I used my recip saw to cut open the old reservoir and as it turned out, there is a mesh screen inside the reservoir which has got gummed up with black sludge stuff (ignore the larger black shavings, they are from cutting it open) and caused the returning power steering fluid to be turbulent and causing bubbles, when then got sucked into the pump and repeated over and over.

hFx37YKh.jpg

YRGpTBmh.jpg

mb0jz5Wh.jpg

When looking into the old reservoir whilst the engine was running and had some steering lock on - the fluid could be seen swirling around quite a bit, but not excessively. However, with the new reservoir, the fluid is almost completely calm.

Soldato

That was a good bit of investigating, is it a known issue in W204 circles?

The cyinic in me wonders if had you left this up to your local MB dealer, whether you'd be sporting a new ps pump. Looks like it's something that should be changed as part of a service. Or perhaps this is something likely to happen out of warranty and so MB don't care.

Soldato
That was a good bit of investigating, is it a known issue in W204 circles?

The cyinic in me wonders if had you left this up to your local MB dealer, whether you'd be sporting a new ps pump. Looks like it's something that should be changed as part of a service. Or perhaps this is something likely to happen out of warranty and so MB don't care.

I did take it to a nearby mechanic to have a look at, and when he couldn't find a leak he was pretty much stumped and all he could suggest was the power steering pump or steering rack - both are....pricey. I have no doubt whatsoever that a MB dealership would have said it was the pump, then when you paid them the £1500 for them to do it and it didn't fix the issue, they'd fob you off like crazy and try and get you to pay for a new steering rack at another £1500, or they'd hope you cut your losses and just disappear quietly.

If you Google it, it tends to be spoken about in the USA quite a lot on the older models with M156 engines (think a 2003 ML or similar). There are also quite a few who mention it on the pre facelift W204 C63, however there is nothing on facelift C63's. However, in general, there is very little detailed content on Mercedes compared to BMWs, so it's quite hard to be sure.

The facelift W204 C63 got a reservoir with a new part number and some people online surmised that this new part number was a revised part to fix the old issue of the screen either becoming blocked or being detached (both causing turbulence in the reservoir).

3-4 months before this occurred I did change the power steering fluid, but nothing that should have caused this, as it was the lazy method of sucking it out of the reservoir with a syringe/then top up the fluid with genuine MB245.0 fluid a few times. Coincidence or some sort of causation? I guess we'll never know! I'm just thankful that the power of the internet resulted in a £48 easy DIY fix which stopped me from paying £700+ for a pump which would have done sod all. I thought I'd post it up on here with pictures in the hope that if someone was ever in the position I was in, they would find these posts!

Man of Honour
Gave the mats a hoover, my goodness they get dirty this time of year.

Wiped down the interior with autoglym interior cleaning spray. I need to put protector on when I remember. I’ve only had it a few weeks and it was already covered in dust.

Placed a dehumidifier pouch into the cabin and boot. Need to remember to dry them out weekly.

Tried to work out how I’d hoover the soft top compartment. It doesn’t have the easiest access. I think I’d get the hoover in, but would need to hoover without being able to see what it is I’m actually hoovering.

Soldato

First proper full wash since I got her. Not the weather to detail the paint, so that will wait. Gave the leather a full clean with my new Swissvax leather kit. Seems to have cleaned well, although the leather wasn't exactly dirty. Ooh also got my plates on, so she feels like mine now.

Planning on a full detail and ceramic coating in the summer.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I don't feel like that Aston gets enough love.

The Aston is very well cared for and is driven regular as it’s generally the daily driver when the weather is not freezing at which point the GR Yaris is the daily if it’s bad weather. I just don’t track the Aston even though it’s quite capable even on track as I drove one some years ago around Donnington and it was better than you’d expect but it’s more a GT and so only does road duties and it’s serviced every year without fail.

Man of Honour
The Aston is very well cared for and is driven regular as it’s generally the daily driver when the weather is not freezing at which point the GR Yaris is the daily if it’s bad weather. I just don’t track the Aston even though it’s quite capable even on track as I drove one some years ago around Donnington and it was better than you’d expect but it’s more a GT and so only does road duties and it’s serviced every year without fail.

Wasn't saying it wasn't cared for - just seems almost invisible compared to how much you feature the other cars (and for me personally it is the favourite out of those you own).

OcUK Staff
Wasn't saying it wasn't cared for - just seems almost invisible compared to how much you feature the other cars (and for me personally it is the favourite out of those you own).

Yes you meant not much love as in forum exposure.

Gotcha, I will try to post it more I guess as it just tends to go from home to work and back along with the odd shopping trip, the drives are not so exciting, will be attending some more Aston meets when warmer weather returns.

Not sure if I posted this but here is a photo a few months back after a good clean and wax top up ready for Winter:

aston11.jpg

It gets plenty of TLC and thankfully it been a well behaved reliable car, only recent issue is the brake lights staying on, due to the switch under the brake pedal, which is a Ford switch and I've ordered from Poland which cost sub £20 delivered, something I shall fit when I feel upto making my body make some odd shapes to try and fit it, lol.

Always an event to drive, sounds absolutely superb, stunning timeless looks and steering feel that is great, I generally just potter about it but the odd times I've driven it in anger it is surprisingly good, but as I said I've driven one on track previously and once you get beyond the heavy weighting of clutch and gearbox they are a nice handling and feelsome car, not that quick at all by modern standards but it is the kind of car where I never really feel it needs more power, if that makes sense at all.

Man of Honour
Looked closely at the tyres and realised that the outer edge of the fronts are pretty worn. Some cracks on the edge of the rears, so all 4 are going to need replacing. MOT isn’t until November and the central droves still have reasonable depth. I’ll go for either P Zeros or Pilot Sports when the time comes.

Thanks. Not long, since November. Starting to get to grips with all the tech now. I must have spent an age in the M Drive menu alone, messing around with my M button settings (there's two on this model!).

Same on my TTRS, trying to get my head around the menu. So annoying that as a result of the EU the settings default to its eco mode every time I start up. I would play about with individual settings, but will happily leave them all on the most aggressive settings.

Soldato
Same on my TTRS, trying to get my head around the menu. So annoying that as a result of the EU the settings default to its eco mode every time I start up. I would play about with individual settings, but will happily leave them all on the most aggressive settings.
At the very least, just for the cold start right! :D

Back
Top Bottom