What have you done to your car today?

Found a hole in the sill end and MOT due in 2 weeks. Very tempted to buy a welder and have a go. But for now... Messaged a couple of local welders for a quote.

First response is 200+VAT which is more than anticipated. See how things look tomorrow, I'm not sure I have time to learn and finish a weld in one weekend.
Youv've any photos?

You could do a DIY repair yourself saving over £200.

EDIT:

I've used it to fill-up a cut out in my bumper in the past and recently did my mates daily to get it through MOT (I didn't take photos).

image.png
image.png

Last edited:
Youv've any photos?

EDIT:

I've used it to fill-up a cut out in my bumper in the past and recently did my mates daily to get it through MOT (I didn't take photos).
That would pass the MOT but not fix the structural issue they'd be failing me on... It'd buy me time but I need to get it welded either way.

OpoNCaK.jpeg
akgrU0W.jpeg

It's not a crucial body structural part, you could literally cover it with anything and it would pass, the tester can't remove e.g. duck tape and can't fail you on what they don't see.

Youv've any photos?

Note to self, don't buy a car from IC3.

"£200" and "proper repair" shouldn't be used in the same sentence... especially when it comes to rust.

£200 - £240 to repair that is plenty enough to get you a decent job done, it isn't a complicated repair.

£200 for welding when I do the prep and all the finish work is probably reasonable. The hole is bigger than when I first poked it...

I'd suggest £200 is more than enough to pay for a rear sill repair like that, you could find someone to do it cheaper I have no doubt. I think I paid like £100 for a similar repair, but that was 6 years ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom