What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Gave it a quick wash, really needs a polish but it's just not happening until it's at least 15c outside :p

Also fitted some wind deflectors I bought months and months ago. I quite like them.

20140301_172930%20%28Small%29.jpg

Soldato
Bought a cambelt kit and water pump for the pug as a few weekends ago I was under it and noticed a weep of coolant from the bottom of the cambelt cover. There's only one place that could have come from.. Oh well, I was planning on doing the belt within the next 10K anyway. It's been way more than 5 years since the last one.

Not going to fit it until the Disco is back together though (unless it leaks further)

Associate
Pretty much most Vanos seals are worn after around 80k it's the stuff they are made of.
I did have a weeping valve cover gasket so thought I would vanos as well.
Rad, pump, thermostat and hoses next.
Car is 2000 325ci

Soldato
Pretty much most Vanos seals are worn after around 80k it's the stuff they are made of.
I did have a weeping valve cover gasket so thought I would vanos as well.
Rad, pump, thermostat and hoses next.
Car is 2000 325ci

You got any links to where to buy the seals and what you need to do with them?

Soldato
You just cut the old seals out and put the new ones in after heating them a bit. Getting to the seals is simple ( if time consuming) on an e46 but I thought it was a bit more involved on the e36 and involved needing to lock the cams, could be wrong though.

I also broke several fixings doing mine, almost everything in the vanos unit is very low torque

Last edited:

Soldato
Bought iton wednesday broke it today

Hopefully nothing serious as it's just an eml light on (mk4 Mondeo tdci 140) still pulling fine no smoke but might be my imagination but average economy is down a bit

Going to go steal my dad's fault code reader and see what's up after breakfast

Hopefully both serious after buying it midweek and buying a tbelt and service kit yesterday I'm skint.

Soldato
Bought iton wednesday broke it today

Hopefully nothing serious as it's just an eml light on (mk4 Mondeo tdci 140) still pulling fine no smoke but might be my imagination but average economy is down a bit

Going to go steal my dad's fault code reader and see what's up after breakfast

Hopefully both serious after buying it midweek and buying a tbelt and service kit yesterday I'm skint.

EGR? Did the glow plug light flash at all? Might just be a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Associate
Literally the second I snapped a socket onto a ratchet the rain started :( Still nice quick job and I now have some more noise (and apparently 12bhp ... yeah I think we'll ignore that!)

Before:

oldfilter.JPG

After:

newfilter.JPG

Definitely got more noise and seems a little faster to respond :)

Soldato
EGR? Did the glow plug light flash at all? Might just be a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Got it checked clogged dpf took it for a 40 mile run at 70 in 4th going to pop down the garage and get them to plug it in and see if theight goes out now

Failing that dpf delete and remap time lol

Soldato
In the middle of using a gasket scraper to to get the old headgasket off

IMG_44831_zps4be96d0d.jpg

A little while later after a bit of scotchbrite.

IMG_44931_zps70006ef4.jpg

Done most of the ancillaries now

IMG_44911_zps887a5265.jpg

Just got to measure the piston protrusion first.

IMG_45001_zps7d77539e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom