What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Mine ticked over 108,000 miles this week :p

I sorted a coolant level indicator issue yesterday. There is a tell tale fault with the level indicator dipper in that it's not very useful for gauging when the coolant might be low if the system has an air pocket. My light would come on randomly and go off again the last week or so. I thought the level sensor was dodgy but a quick Google showed a common problem with air pockets if the coolant wasn't filled up following the right process.

1. Fill coolant to MAX level while engine cold and off
2. Switch engine on
3. Heater blower to lowest speed
4. Heater temperature to maximum
5. Open expansion tank cap
6. Open upper hose vent screw
7. Fill expansion tank until air-free coolant comes out of the upper hose vent
8. Close upper hose vent
9. Fill expansion tank until MAX mark
10. Close expansion tank and run engine to operating temperature to open the thermostat
11. Engine off
12. Wait for coolant to cool down to cold
13. Open tank cap to add coolant as necessary
14. The correct level when cold should be anywhere between MIN and MAX

Sorted :D

Soldato
Got up at ungodly hour of 6.50- on road for 7.40 to Ford dealers for intermediate service which cost grand total of £120 - did get them to fit a new sump plug as last one must have been fitted by 16 yr old with 3ft breaker bar and it took me 20 minutes to get it to crack so I could change the oil at 6k miles.-standard service is 12k miles - Sat there for hour and half bored to death till it was ready - Included in £120 was another 12 months of breakdown cover with AA and that is home start and everything.

Dave

Soldato
Washed it and noticed a blemish on the hood :(

20140901_101319.jpg

Going back to Subaru tomorrow to get them to fix.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mine ticked over 108,000 miles this week :p

I sorted a coolant level indicator issue yesterday. There is a tell tale fault with the level indicator dipper in that it's not very useful for gauging when the coolant might be low if the system has an air pocket. My light would come on randomly and go off again the last week or so. I thought the level sensor was dodgy but a quick Google showed a common problem with air pockets if the coolant wasn't filled up following the right process.

Sorted :D

I think i have this all of a sudden, its not losing any fluids but my coolant light came on and went off 3 or 4 times on my long commute this morning. Strange. I will have to try this :)

Soldato
Took it to BBR to have cams installed and get it mapped.

Whilst doing the 'before' dyno run, identified a misfire. Left the car with them to identify cause. Suspect a wiring fault with the the loom to the coils, heat degradation causes it. The fault is intermittent but enough to effect the running. Will probably leave with a bill for diagnostics and a new loom part, and no cams, but at least it should run right.

EDIT: Now fixed. Getting car back on Thursday :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Took it back to Subaru, they are going to replace a bit of trim on the interior, fix the gas filler door and have a guy come and detail it to remove the scratches some moron put into it by cleaning it.... can't even trust dealers to clean your car when you buy it new.

*Edit*
Also bought new LED bulbs for the DRL(act as high beam too) to make them match the LED low beams (Standard left, new on right)

** No hotlinking images **
http://www.subispeed.com/media/cata...95/2/0/2015_wrx_sti_olm_high_drl_beam-1_2.jpg

Also LED licence plate bulbs and vanity mirror bulbs as I've already done the map lights and dome light.... getting there on my quest for complete LED bulbage. Turn signals, reverse lights and fogs left.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have decided to spend £320 on an as new set of OZ F1 15" Alloys with a decent set of used tyres. Will arrive on Sat!

No more wheel judder on the motorway HURAY! (current wheels wont balance up, Due to prat seller who sold them to me)

Man of Honour
Insured, £258....

I spoke too soon, i do have a leak :p

I will be sure to follow that guide when refilling it though after i find where the leak is :)

Ouch! But yes the guide works nicely :)

Can anyone recommend a leather cleaner / care for E46 leather?
Autoglym leather cleaner and then Zaino Z10. Smells great and leaves leather supple and fresh.

Soldato
Bought a dash cam (MINI 0803). Initially wasn't impressed by the quality then I realized it still had the protective film over the lens :eek: :D

Just looking over the footage and where it splits the files (each file is 200MB ish) there's a 30 second delay from one section to the next...

A lot of playing around with settings to be done I think..

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Insured, £258....

Ouch! But yes the guide works nicely :)

Turns out my expansion tank has ruptured, getting a **** of fluid out of a hairline crack in the side of it when up to pressure. Common problem on E46's apparently although ive never had it before. :o

Back
Top Bottom