what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
I think it's time to replace my HD202s. I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fan after having these for at least 10 years so would rather stay with the brand.

Not heard many sets to compare to so just been looking at what I know. A mate has had some HD25-1 IIs which I really like. Or are the HD650s still the one to go for?

Most of my listening will be while sat at my PC (gaming/music) or at night in bed. No separate headphone amp at the moment.

Soldato
Yeah the HD25's are good. Friend of mine also has them. I'd only go for those of you want something light and portable that isolates sound well, without having to pay for good noise cancellation.

If you're looking at the HD650, then you'll need an amp as well and preferably DAC (if you're using on-board audio). Also not the best choice for gaming in my opinion, so depends which you'll use the headphones most for; gaming or music. For music though, they are hard to beat, unless you're someone who prefers something fun with a bit of bass weight.

Soldato
Thanks Marsman. They will definitely be used more for music than gaming. I do like bass but I've been more than happy with my HD202s, so that should give you an insight as to my expectations of the 650s which I imagine will walk all over the 202s.

I've never really looked into headphone amps before, but after a quick look around I've found several external sound cards (Asus Xonar/Creative X-Fi) which advertise having integrated headphone amps. Would something like this (rated to drive the 650s) be sufficient or should I be looking at something a bit more 'upmarket'?

Caporegime
I have the DT770s now. I did buy them months a go for my new job but I haven't used them much in work, usually use my IEMs (RHA 750) so brought them home last week and they are soooo good. Isolation is superb, so much so I imagine my GF will be getting very annoyed at me for not hearing her, and I have found them to be noticebly better than my old HD595s in every area while I've been using them at home.

So they've been relegated to work even though they're 7 years old since I got them they have very good and still going strong and the DT770s are my every day now.

Soldato
Thanks Marsman. They will definitely be used more for music than gaming. I do like bass but I've been more than happy with my HD202s, so that should give you an insight as to my expectations of the 650s which I imagine will walk all over the 202s.

I've never really looked into headphone amps before, but after a quick look around I've found several external sound cards (Asus Xonar/Creative X-Fi) which advertise having integrated headphone amps. Would something like this (rated to drive the 650s) be sufficient or should I be looking at something a bit more 'upmarket'?

Xonar Essence STX will do the job, if you can still get them that is. There's always used, but if not, that leaves STXII or Sound Blaster ZxR for internal cards.

There's also Sound Blaster G5, for a cheaper (than STXII and ZxR) external option. Has the same headphone amp found in the above cards and also has SBX for positional sound, just as the ZxR does.

They will all do a decent job to a point, but if considering a STXII or ZxR, then for what they cost, a Schiit DAC and amp is similar money and will get more from the headphones; certainly for music anyway. Of course though, with Schiit gear, it's just stereo with no effects, so no positional sound. Not everyone wants that though. Some dislike that and just prefer plain stereo. Without positional sound though, HD650 aren't really headphones I'd want to use for gaming.

Razer has some free software though, that provides positional sound similar to Dolby and SBX. Whether it's as good I don't know, but it's an option to use along with a Schiit stack, without having to buy a sound card. You'd have the better choice for music performance (most important) and also positional sound for gaming.

Ultimately though, I suppose it depends what you're looking to spend along with the headphones.

Soldato
A much cheaper option would be the FiiO E10K, which is capable of driving the HD650s on high gain and as bass seems to be enjoyed, the E10K has a bass boost switch that actually does a decent job of boosting the sub-bass.

If the budget is there then there has never been a better time to buy a Schiit stack, as the Modi 2 (even standard) now uses the AK4490 DAC chip and they have just released the Magni 3, which according to reports sounds a lot like the far more expensive Jotunheim.

Soldato
Good information guys, thanks.

I wasn't sure if sound cards these days were just gimmicks or whether they were actually worth the money and made up of decent components. I used to have an Audigy (before the nForce 2 and Soundstorm days) and still have an M-Audio 2496 in my HTPC but haven't had a dedicated card in my main PC for years. When you mention positional audio, are you referring to things like virtual surround sound? It's not something I've really bothered about before, I'm not a heavy gamer, and so probably haven't noticed that I don't have it.

Thanks rids, I have seen FiiO mentioned and so that was going to be my next question. Didn't realise they were quite so affordable however!

I've also just had a look at the Schiit stuff and am I right in thinking I'd have to buy the DAC and amp as separate units, i.e. the Modi DAC and Magni amp. Stereo performance is a much higher priority for me than gaming so I'd rather spend the money where it counts. If I'm spending £300 on headphones, I want to ensure I get the best out of them. As you say Marsman, positional audio can be added in via software to an extent and tbh, I've not really noticed that I haven't had it before, ha.

If I was more gaming orientated, I'd be best to go for something from Asus or Creative with SBX? And what would you say would be the best option for stereo, a Schiit DAC and amp? Is the Schiit really worth another £100 over the FiiO?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the HD650 and I also have a Schiit stack, so I am biased :D

Honestly, the little FiiO does an admirable job of driving the HD650s but the Schiits are simply better and the latest stuff is better than the older models I own.

Personally I would go with the Uber version of the Modi as it uses it's own power supply, whereas the regular version takes it's power from the USB bus, which can (and does) cause problems when Microsoft mess around with updates. It may be £40 more expensive but for your extra money you do get USB, Co-axial and optical inputs (regular is just USB) and a better analogue section borrowed from it's big brother, the Bifrost.

There is of course the Modi Multibit and although it does sound even better, it does cost £270 and you'd have to add an amp on top of that.

Speaking of which, they have just released the Magni 3 solid state amp, which is pretty much the single ended section of it's £420 much bigger sibling the Jotunheim. Reports are unanimous that the Magni 3 is a step up in sound quality from the Magni 2 (which already sounded very good) and that it has all of the features of the Magni 2 Uber and sells for £50 less at £110 is pretty outstanding. They have just run out of stock at Schiit Europe so you will have to wait for new stock to arrive.

Another option is the Schiit Vali 2, which is a hybrid valve amp that pairs particularly well with the HD650 but that opens a whole new can of worms called tube rolling, which although fun can prove quite expensive. :D

Soldato
Sorry rids, didn't notice you'd replied.

I've been doing some reading the past few days and think I'm set on a Schiit stack. I like how the Magni has pre-outs, allowing me to connect to an external amp or speakers. Makes it that bit more flexible. The Modi 2 Uber looks good too.

I've got a few weeks to think about it anyway (a pile of Schiit would make a great birthday present ;)) I'll probably get the headphones a little closer towards Christmas.

Associate
Sennheiser Game Ones. They're HD something something with a boom mic attached. Mine are black with a metallic red trim, not too gaudy. If the boom mic was detachable they'd be perfect to use for all occasions.

I like the open back style, wearing closed headphones now feels like my ears are suffocating, just a shame the braided cable likes to twist itself into 10 billion knots.

Soldato
I don't think they are looking at receiving new stock for a couple of weeks and when it lands it will sell fast, so keep checking the site for the Magni 3.

I was looking at the main US site for stock/pricing. Didn't think to see if there was a UK/EU site. Found it now and will keep checking.

If push comes to shove, could I order from the US though? I take it I'd have to pay import charges etc.

Soldato
..If I was more gaming orientated, I'd be best to go for something from Asus or Creative with SBX?..

SBX is better for gaming. Dolby Headphone was designed for movies, which is to be expected, given that's what Dolby do. Having said that, it does work well for gaming and some people may prefer it over Creative's SBX. In general though, I think most people would say SBX is better for gaming. Dolby can have more of an echo effect, which puts a few people off it.

Of course though, getting one device with SBX that can drive headphones such as the HD650, is not cheap by any means. For a start, HD650's don't make the best gaming headphones, so to spend £200 on a sound card that's capable of driving them, just to get SBX, doesn't make a lot of sense; not to me anyway. Not when your first priority is music.

For those who prioritise gaming, HD599's and a SB Z, is a better choice. £200 cheaper than HD650 + ZxR and will also have a good sound for music.

Although a Schiit stack costs a bit more. It's a better long term solution for the HD650's and other headphones in need of a good amp. Sound cards are too reliant on other factors, such as working drivers; Windows updates not causing sound issues; no electrical interference affecting the sound card. Whether such problems are common or not, they do happen. If you spend £50 on a sound card, it doesn't matter too much if that is affected by any of those. Spend £200 though, then that's a different story. A DAC and the connected amp are completely separate, so not reliant on software and drivers; and if using optical, will be decoupled from the PC electrically.

You can always add a Soundblaster Z for £60 at some point, if you want SBX. As long as you have a DAC with optical input, that will work. Best to try Razer's software first though, because it might be something you're just not fussed about. In which case, the thought of spending £200 on a ZxR, really would be a waste. :p Not everyone likes these headphone surround sound effects. Some people don't and prefer stereo with no effects. :)

Soldato
I was looking at the main US site for stock/pricing. Didn't think to see if there was a UK/EU site. Found it now and will keep checking.

If push comes to shove, could I order from the US though? I take it I'd have to pay import charges etc.

You could and they do deliver to the UK (with added import charges) BUT any warranty would mean you would have to send it back to the US as the UK distributor wouldn't handle it.

Soldato
Yeah I looked into it a bit more after posting and once you factor in shipping costs and import charges, you probably wouldn't save enough money to warrant the risk.

Thanks for the input and advice rids and Marsman. Much appreciated.

Soldato
Added SoundPeats Q30 to the collection for exercise duties and they're pretty darn good for sub £25.

Comfortable, secure fit (lots of sized buds and hooks included). Paired to my Fiio x1 2nd Gen fine, playing back flac. Sound is good and clear, a little elevated bass but not by too much. Good separation.

Too soon to quote on the battery life.

FsOM2AR.jpg

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Audio-Technica ATH AD700... still not sure about the colour, and wouldn't wear them outside the house; but sound is clear, soundstage is amazing, very comfortable, and I like their fairly neutral balance.

Back
Top Bottom