what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Thanks for that info raymond, I am still unsure, i have tried on the Bose in town and they seem very light and comfortable wearing. I am going to try the Sony tomorrow before making a concrete decision.

Whichever I feel I can wear 18hrs straight will get my purchase :) Think I would be happy with both tbh though.

Soldato
Should have a set of Sennheiser IE 800s in the next couple of days. The best in-ears I've had up to this point are fairly pap UE Superfi 5. Part of me can't get over the thought of IEMs apparent tradeoffs relative to full-sized cans, so I'm approaching their arrival with equal amounts of prejudice and anticipation. I'll be disappointed if they don't wipe the floor with my Sony MDR 1As.

Will update at some point when they've arrived and the novelty wears off.

Associate
Should have a set of Sennheiser IE 800s in the next couple of days. The best in-ears I've had up to this point are fairly pap UE Superfi 5. Part of me can't get over the thought of IEMs apparent tradeoffs relative to full-sized cans, so I'm approaching their arrival with equal amounts of prejudice and anticipation. I'll be disappointed if they don't wipe the floor with my Sony MDR 1As.

Will update at some point when they've arrived and the novelty wears off.

I'm interested to read your thoughts. Currently listening to mine and still love them. Not perfect though. The cable has got noticeably worse microphonics than my ie80's and Sony's. But soundwise wipes the floor with both. Great for gaming too.

Soldato
Well so far, so good. Given them about an hour of listening so far. They give an extremely impressive account of themselves. The MDR 1As are really nice circumaural portables, I doubt you can get much better for something that plugs into a phone and does its job in terms of full-size cans.

The IE 800s absolutely stomp on them. There's nothing mush else to say, really (but I will anyway). A-B comparing is almost like night and day. The Sonys are really, really good in isolation. Compared to the IE 800s, the only positive in terms of sound that the Sony could be seen to have is that they're quite rolled-off in the top end and as such are easy to listen to. These IE 800s are mind-bogglingly good. I'm worried for my HD 650s and will hook these up to my desktop system later to compare (Dacmagic Plus and Lehmann BCL clone). I have a feeling the brightness of the Dacmagic might be a bit too much as it does a great job of 'unveiling' the HD 650s.

Microphonics is indeed quite bad, but everything else about the IE 800s works for me really. These remind me of my old Denon D2000s, but somehow they sound better. Mind boggling.

Soldato
I love my MDR-1As but my Fidue A73s stomp all over them in all areas for just shy of £100 - so the far more expensive IE800s should be even better. When comparing headphones with IEMs it is not an even playing field, you can get far more quality sound from cheap IEMs than you can with similarly priced headphones. Even my £20 Tennmak Pianos would give my Sonys a good run.

Associate
Well so far, so good. Given them about an hour of listening so far. They give an extremely impressive account of themselves. The MDR 1As are really nice circumaural portables, I doubt you can get much better for something that plugs into a phone and does its job in terms of full-size cans.

The IE 800s absolutely stomp on them. There's nothing mush else to say, really (but I will anyway). A-B comparing is almost like night and day. The Sonys are really, really good in isolation. Compared to the IE 800s, the only positive in terms of sound that the Sony could be seen to have is that they're quite rolled-off in the top end and as such are easy to listen to. These IE 800s are mind-bogglingly good. I'm worried for my HD 650s and will hook these up to my desktop system later to compare (Dacmagic Plus and Lehmann BCL clone). I have a feeling the brightness of the Dacmagic might be a bit too much as it does a great job of 'unveiling' the HD 650s.

Microphonics is indeed quite bad, but everything else about the IE 800s works for me really. These remind me of my old Denon D2000s, but somehow they sound better. Mind boggling.

Yes, mind boggling!!!
I bought them for long flights etc. Never thought about using them at home because i have a few full size headphones. But they are definitely part of my headphone rotation at home. And so small :)

Associate
Had a go with my IE 800s and my desktop set up. First indication is that they could very well be better than my HD 650s. Still blown away by these!

They definitely get more use than my HD600's.

Picked up a pair of JVC sz2000's yesterday. The bass on these things is outrageous. Meh before extreme eq and amping. Shocking when eq'd.
Will be used for my sub bass music. Head and shoulders above anything else i have heard bass wise (impact and quantity), although i haven't much experience with bass headphones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom