what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
I've never liked over head earphones either but since using them on flights for noise cancelling reasons I've grown to like them. I still prefer speakers but for picking out more detail I find headphones seem better at the moment. But now I'm comparing z906 speakers to HD 700 headphones which isn't fair. I'll probably need to get some hifi speakers now for a better comparison!

Anyway I got the HD 700s yesterday and they sound pretty great to me. Going back and forth between my bose qc25 headset I can definitely notice a sound stage difference. To me it's similar to when you pickup a radio in mono but the signal gets stronger and you can pick it up in stereo, but not quite as obvious. It just seems like the music is more around you than closer to your head.

Been playing with the EQ settings from here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ualizerapo-config-preset-siblence-fix.738496/

And I can notice differences when changing the bands but whether I prefer one over the other I can't really say lol. Going with the +2db to the bass frequencies and the flat frequency response EQ the headphones sound pretty good to me.

Whether I get more enjoyment from the music I can't say but I don't think I'll be going any deeper into this hobby for now (aka spend more money lol) as I think what I've got sound great to me. If I'm passing a Richer sounds I might try and book some time to listen to some higher end headphones but to me, it doesn't seem worth spending any more really. If I want a different sound or warmer feel etc then I can just play with the EQ!

Associate
Anyone seen the update to the HD600?. They basically changed it to match the HD660

14349398.jpg

4sK99Xm

4sK99Xm

Soldato
Looks nicer, prefer the overall finish, much cleaner looking really. Seems though it keeps the headband of the original 600 as my 6xx and 660s only have two bumps.

Soldato
Yeah, headband pad is the same. Maybe as a way to have an distinctive identifiable difference, even though the grey 650's are no longer sold.

I like the look of the old HD600's. If I could change the look of mine to the new grey, I wouldn't.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend any entry level, 'budget' studio headphones? Like who is the best in the <£50 world?
Obviously dynamic range and whatnot will be more limited in this price range, but here is always a king at any price-point. As this will be for mucking about with beginner producing, a flat/neutral pair is preferred.

I don't trust review sites so maybe some people here have experienced decent budget offerings.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend any entry level, 'budget' studio headphones? Like who is the best in the <£50 world?
Obviously dynamic range and whatnot will be more limited in this price range, but here is always a king at any price-point. As this will be for mucking about with beginner producing, a flat/neutral pair is preferred.

I don't trust review sites so maybe some people here have experienced decent budget offerings.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 used in excellent condition can be had for £65

Soldato

Either save a little more, or buy second hand imo.

There's quite a jump between £50 and £100+, after that returns begin to diminish.

It's an addiction so be warned.

Soldato
I bought the new Airpod Pros. For anyone who has become hugely dependant on airpods, upgrade as they're totally better.

Its hard to go back to normal headphones after the convienance of airpods but these remedy a lot of the issues I have with them.

Soldato
I bought the new Airpod Pros. For anyone who has become hugely dependant on airpods, upgrade as they're totally better.

Its hard to go back to normal headphones after the convienance of airpods but these remedy a lot of the issues I have with them.

I've wondered about these.I dont doubt they're grossly overpriced, but it'd be interesting to test them. Glad you're pleased.

For me, TWF earbuds are about utility, you'll never get great sound quality, nor theywill butyoh 'reuse then in veryan environment where it matters, but they're very convenient. I bought some SoundPeats TrueFree+, very impressed. Great battery life, great charging case, great SQ (for TWF), comfortable and lightweight. For £26 they're obscenely good value.

I'll road-test some AirPod pros if I get a chance.

Soldato
Has anyone here got any experience with Beyerdynamic DT1990's or similar in comparison to the lower end 990's/similar?

I really like my 990's, but I fancy upgrading to the next step up and was wondering whether they'd be worth the price. I've read a few good things about them and they seem to have the soundstage that I'm after. My STX can drive up to 600 Ohms, definitely has no issue driving my 250Ohm 990's either.

Caporegime
Thanks, I'm certainly looking at this, however I see second hand Senny HD280s are only £30, would you say the 770 is worth the extra over the HD280?

Googling seems to indicate that isn't much in it between them, other than slightly differing sound characteristics.

Keepa alerts might just be awesome, got alerted to this second hand 'good condition'

u8af13M.jpg

If they actually work and are in ok condition, I have probably used up all my luck for the year.

Soldato
DT1990 is smoother in the highs, more extended in the lows, has better imaging and has more micro-detail right across the frequency range but I wouldn't say it's soundstage is any bigger than the DT990

Soldato
DT1990 is smoother in the highs, more extended in the lows, has better imaging and has more micro-detail right across the frequency range but I wouldn't say it's soundstage is any bigger than the DT990

It sounds like a price difference that likely isn't going to be justified for a lot of content I'll stick through them then. Still, I shall keep an eye on upcoming sales. Thanks :)

And delivered, they are practically brand new, result!

:eek: Result!! :D

Soldato
Put it this way, my DT990 have sat in the cupboard for the last few years, replaced by the Senn HD650 and HiFiMan HE400i but since getting the DT1990 those two just sit there hanging on their headphone stands, the DT1990 is in another league

Oh and I got them from the Amazon Warehouse for £330 - when I got them I couldn't even tell they'd been opened :)

Soldato
Put it this way, my DT990 have sat in the cupboard for the last few years, replaced by the Senn HD650 and HiFiMan HE400i but since getting the DT1990 those two just sit there hanging on their headphone stands, the DT1990 is in another league

I've just been looking up alternatives and see nothing that really fits what I'm after. And when you put it like that... must resist ordering some. :D

Back
Top Bottom