what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Caporegime
£8.28 for used DT770's is bargain of the century, surely.

Well done for getting them before anyone else got there first! :D

I set up a price tracking alert with Keepa and it emailed me right as I was leaving the office, so YOINK :D

They make every other ear and headphone I own sound terrible, haha, but they are a little 'bright' and not bassy, so listening trance is a bit weird. Turning it up to get the bass I want makes the treble a bit much.

Still, the sheer clarity between frequencies is insane.

Soldato
What are you using to power them @krooton?

I've organised my work so that I get tomorrow off to rest my badly knackered ankle. This means I'll be able to play with the DT1990's starting tonight and all weekend. I've even bookmarked the antilion clip on mic in the case they're fine to be used with the Xbox.. :)

Caporegime
What are you using to power them @krooton?

I've organised my work so that I get tomorrow off to rest my badly knackered ankle. This means I'll be able to play with the DT1990's starting tonight and all weekend. I've even bookmarked the antilion clip on mic in the case they're fine to be used with the Xbox.. :)

Oh just the standard onboard sound of my laptop, am already shortlisting external soundcards/DACs for Black Friday ;)

Soldato
Oh just the standard onboard sound of my laptop, am already shortlisting external soundcards/DACs for Black Friday ;)

I remember when I originally bought my 990's. Did exactly the same thing. Scouted around for deals, which one to get, etc.. Got an Essence STX from here as a B Grade bargain in the end as it fitted two roles I needed. Although, not your level of bargain :p

Soldato
I set up a price tracking alert with Keepa and it emailed me right as I was leaving the office, so YOINK :D

They make every other ear and headphone I own sound terrible, haha, but they are a little 'bright' and not bassy, so listening trance is a bit weird. Turning it up to get the bass I want makes the treble a bit much.

Still, the sheer clarity between frequencies is insane.

The treble is the one thing that puts some people off the DT770. It is quite lively shall we say, which can be too much for some people.

One solution could be a little bit of equalisation adjustment, which might just help tame the treble just enough for it to become more bearable at higher volume.

I think you're going to end up paying more for the DAC/amp, than the headphones. Always better to spend more on the headphones than on the DAC/amp, but in this case, I don't think that's going to be possible; except for another insane bargain. :p

If you're not looking for something to provide surround sound effects (5.1) when gaming, then a FiiO E10K, would be a decent choice. Very good little USB powered DAC/amp and has a bass boost switch. Might be enough to provide the extra bass you're looking for, without having to turn the volume up so much, the treble becomes too unbearable.

Caporegime
The treble is the one thing that puts some people off the DT770. It is quite lively shall we say, which can be too much for some people.

One solution could be a little bit of equalisation adjustment, which might just help tame the treble just enough for it to become more bearable at higher volume.

I think you're going to end up paying more for the DAC/amp, than the headphones. Always better to spend more on the headphones than on the DAC/amp, but in this case, I don't think that's going to be possible; except for another insane bargain. :p

If you're not looking for something to provide surround sound effects (5.1) when gaming, then a FiiO E10K, would be a decent choice. Very good little USB powered DAC/amp and has a bass boost switch. Might be enough to provide the extra bass you're looking for, without having to turn the volume up so much, the treble becomes too unbearable.

Cheers, just managed to grab a DacMagic for £20 on MM, which should do me fine for now. I don't really mind about gaming or anything, all this is for me to start dabbling in dance music production again.

Soldato
Well I think that's a good starter option. No idea what the headphone amp output is like, but for £20, it's certainly going to be considerably better than laptop output.

Less than £30 spent for DT770 + DACmagic is money very well spent. :D

Soldato
Are there many HD58X owners on here? I'm interested in buying them for my first set of decent headphones.

My main usage would be gaming on the PS4 and PC with a good variety of music thrown in mostly too. I guess more music than gaming.
Others that were recommended to me were AKG K702/K712, Philips Fidelio X2, AT AD700x/AD900X or Beyer DT770/880/990

Associate
Are there many HD58X owners on here? I'm interested in buying them for my first set of decent headphones.

My main usage would be gaming on the PS4 and PC with a good variety of music thrown in mostly too. I guess more music than gaming.
Others that were recommended to me were AKG K702/K712, Philips Fidelio X2, AT AD700x/AD900X or Beyer DT770/880/990

I have them for PS4 gaming via a Creative G6 and have owned K702/K712, X2, 990 and 880s in the past :)

Soldato
I have them for PS4 gaming via a Creative G6 and have owned K702/K712, X2, 990 and 880s in the past :)

That's some collection you have had! This will be my first pair of non cheap headphones.
I have my PS4 through a Sony STRDH810 receiver so thinking of just chucking them into the audio out on the front.
How do you find them compared to the others? You have listed? I've seen some people say the bass is lacking and others say it's great.

Associate
That's some collection you have had! This will be my first pair of non cheap headphones.
I have my PS4 through a Sony STRDH810 receiver so thinking of just chucking them into the audio out on the front.
How do you find them compared to the others? You have listed? I've seen some people say the bass is lacking and others say it's great.

If I was to have one pair of headphones from that list it would be these as al all rounder. AKG edge it perhaps for gaming with a much wider soundstage but the 58x bring better imaging imho. Thing is though the 58x just seem to perform well whatever you plug them into for music (iPhone, Macbook, G6 etc). Certainly don't find them bass light but, again, they do sound 'narrow/intimate' to me so just depends if that sound signature suits you and your ears ;)

Soldato
If I was to have one pair of headphones from that list it would be these as al all rounder. AKG edge it perhaps for gaming with a much wider soundstage but the 58x bring better imaging imho. Thing is though the 58x just seem to perform well whatever you plug them into for music (iPhone, Macbook, G6 etc). Certainly don't find them bass light but, again, they do sound 'narrow/intimate' to me so just depends if that sound signature suits you and your ears ;)

Great thanks for your input. I've got a $20 voucher off Drop so hovering over the buy now button at £150 delivered.

Soldato
I have a pair of dt1990 that I have been using from amazon, and to be honest not overly impressed by them, they sound good but nothing earth shattering. I been using them for gaming and they sound good but the Bass is nothing like a Hifi man 400. The main issue is the treble response, its borderline aggressive. I was warned of the Bayerndynamic house sound. Been running some High quality sound files and on higher volume the bass can break up. It could be because I have been spoiled by listening to more High end quality headphones so these sound just OK to good at best.

The amiron wireless was a more enjoyable experience but not good for EDM, house or anything with bass emphasis.

So this leaves me searching for another headphone predominantly for gaming, movies and just general music. Actually my music genre I want them specifically for is old school house. I prefer more forward mids but need the bass response also. any recommendation?

I was thinking of Senheiser HD800 but I am worried of typical sennheiser house sound of "natural bass" at best to very little bass.

Soldato
I have the DT1990 and the HE400i and the Beyers destroy the Hifimans when it comes to bass, it's not even close. If you mean the older HE400 then fair enough, they were highly regarded for their bass but they had weaknesses elsewhere with their piercing highs. As for the HD800, it's bass light with some major peaks in the highs which are only bearable with EQ or modding.

ps. The DT1990 takes EQ really well. A +5db low shelf @70Hz with a Q of 0.5 and a -6db notch filter @8kHz with a Q of 4 would provide some great sub-bass rumble and tame the highs. I'm lucky in a way, I'm 62 so the highs don't affect me in the slightest so I run with a -5db high shelf @70Hz and turn the volume up slightly to compensate - no chance of distortion being introduced that way and they sound really good.

So this leaves me searching for another headphone predominantly for gaming, movies and just general music. Actually my music genre I want them specifically for is old school house. I prefer more forward mids but need the bass response also. any recommendation?

Audeze LCD2 Classic maybe? Great, effortless bass, though the upper mids might be a little recessed for your liking - definitely worth a listen though

Last edited:
Associate
I have a pair of dt1990 that I have been using from amazon, and to be honest not overly impressed by them, they sound good but nothing earth shattering. I been using them for gaming and they sound good but the Bass is nothing like a Hifi man 400. The main issue is the treble response, its borderline aggressive. I was warned of the Bayerndynamic house sound. Been running some High quality sound files and on higher volume the bass can break up. It could be because I have been spoiled by listening to more High end quality headphones so these sound just OK to good at best.

The amiron wireless was a more enjoyable experience but not good for EDM, house or anything with bass emphasis.

I was thinking of Senheiser HD800 but I am worried of typical sennheiser house sound of "natural bass" at best to very little bass.

I feel the same about the 1990's. They remind me of a Samsung TV with dynamic mode on, overaly sharp giving a sense of false detail while maskung true micro detail that something like a HD600/650/800 can achieve.

I would personally look into the Verum 1.

I know these might be a more 'budget' suggestion but have you tried the AKG k712 Pro, they are very good all-rounders if you want something for gaming/movies/music,

The LCD Audeze LCD-1 might be more your cup of tea if you want to spend a bit more, it's only been released recently so not widely available in the UK yet.

You not a fan of the HiFi Man 400 then? I think it's a good budget can for EDM/House etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone tried the AKG K371 , seems to be the hyped closed back at the moment.
Fell out of love with my closed back Beyer 770 and Brainwayvz HM100.
But unsure if the Harmon curve that the AKG is tuned for is good for movies/gaming

Soldato
Anyone tried the AKG K371 , seems to be the hyped closed back at the moment.
Fell out of love with my closed back Beyer 770 and Brainwayvz HM100.
But unsure if the Harmon curve that the AKG is tuned for is good for movies/gaming

I was looking at these earlier but I'll need to hang off as I ended up buying two pairs already this week.

Back
Top Bottom