1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by garyfl, 7 Dec 2010.

1. Guest2

Capodecina

OcUK don't appear to sell Beyerdynamic stereo headphones, only headsets so guess it's not a competitor...

Amazon (dispatched and sold by Amazon)

2. darreny

Mobster

Do they take them back if you've tried them?

3. Guest2

Capodecina

They have in the past when i've ordered Sennheisers that clamped my head like a vice!

4. rids57

Soldato

Honestly, the weight is so well distributed they pretty much disappear when on your head. The good thing with Beyers being mostly metal is if the clamp is too tight you can just pull the two sides apart and lessen the pressure.
    They should take EQ well too, I'm currently listening to Tool through my DT1990's with 3x 2db bass shelves at 150Hz, 100Hz and 50Hz so they stack as the frequency drops - it's like having a sub-woofer tied to my head and still no distortion. :cool:
    When not being silly they are detail monsters - the DT1770 and DT1990 share the same drivers, it's just that the DT1770 is closed and the DT1990 is semi-open. I'm currently considering getting a pair of DT1770's myself to add to my Denon AH-D7200's and Sony MDR-1A's on the closed back side of the stable :D

5. Guest2

Capodecina

Thanks, great to know that any clamp force can be reduced
    What EQ software do you use? I have an external Soundblaster G6 and the EQ in the software is quite rubbish. I cannot even appear to be able to add additinal points to raise / lower dB on the eq line

[​IMG]

6. ninjag

Gangster

You should be able to, I've got that software and you click on the frequency line you want to change and it creates a new point.

7. ninjag

Gangster

Here you go, just hover your mouse over the line at the frequency and it should change to allow movement:

[​IMG]

8. rids57

Soldato

I use the parametric EQ built into JRiver Media Player - it's not pretty (non-graphical) but it works very effectively

9. Guest2

Capodecina

DT1770s arrived today.

Short review

Very well made
    Comfort - Very comfy, even with the weight. Just about the right amount of clamping pressure without it hurting my ears / head which I was afraid of
    Drive - Rated impedance 250Ω but way easier to drive than my AKG 702 which are 62Ω. In contrast I would say it makes the 702s feel like 400Ω I left them on the same volume thinking more would be required and had to quickly turn them down when driven with a Soundblaster G6 on high gain.
    Sound quality - Sound is so much more powerful and in your face than the 702s. The bass is fantastic and the Dolby Atmos 'Amaze' trailer sounds like you are sat in a Dolby cinema. Sounds stage is quite wide, but obviously not like the 702s which are open. So far i've only tried the velour ear pads so yet to try the pleather ones.

10. Guest2

Capodecina

Perfect thanks. Will give this a try

[​IMG]

11. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Let us know how you find them after a few weeks, I really need some new closed backs for late night listening as cleared out all my headphone collection last year as had too many. Only got my HD660s left (I love these).

12. MadMossy

Soldato

ATH-M50X here, had them since 2016 bought second hand at the time for £65, been fantastic the whole time, had to replace the ear cusions once due to wear and tear and the headband leather has completely worn off, but still sound fantastic. Unfortunately they decided their time was up last night when the plastic clips that prevent the cups from pointing outwards away from the head have broken, meaning when you put the headphones on the cups sit away from the head and no longer stay flush.

Tried to glue them in place but there's just too much force on them for it to hold. As I liked them so much I decided to treat myself to a brand new pair so ordered the white ath-m50x this morning :)

13. Greebo

Caporegime

Just gone from B&W P9 Signatures to these after reading rave after rave reviews. Will see if they are the defacto best closed back headphones for under a grand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anybody recommend a good replacement lead to buy please as the supplied one is stupidly short.

14. Janer64

Associate

I own the Song WHX-1000MK4's and their the best headphones I've ever had for the music that I listen to Punk, which is produced terribly but these headphones clarify a lot of the muddy sounds that I've always had with my music, decent for gaming too.

15. idi banashapan

Associate

more mid-fi than hi-fi, but I'm working my way up! Currently;

Audio Technica ATH m50x
    Meze 99 classic < dailys at home
    Moondrop Aria < dailys for portable
    Linsoul KZ ZSX

16. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

Phenomenally beautiful. How are they?

Do they not come with two cables? One longer XLR and one shorter 3.5mm? Or is that just higher models.

Try head fi classifieds for cable. Focal use 3.5mm terminations into headphone ports so you should be able to find a good one at a good price.

17. Greebo

Caporegime

They sound fantastic. The bass is nothing like as strogn as my P9s were but they were always rated as been bass heavy.

No they cheap out on these and just give you 1 1.2m 3.5mm cable. 1.2m is just a bit too short tbh.

18. milli1981

Associate

Got AKG K712s with a Fulla Schiit, prob look to get some sennheiser 660s soon too

19. the_0ther_alex

Associate

Anyone know if the Fiio E10K can power the DT990 250ohms?

20. Jason

Associate

I cant see why not. i had dt880 250ohm and most things drove them petty well