what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Nice. I look forward to your take on these.

I've had them a few days now and am always impressed when I listen to them. I have EQ'd to Crinacle tuning preset plus I've tweaked for extra bass below 70hz.
I've only listened to them for about half an hour but I think they are better than my SIMGOT EW200 IEMs. The bass is better and it sounds clearer if that makes sense. I still need to play around with EQ though to see if I can make it better for me.

Been listening to metal so far.

I've only listened to them for about half an hour but I think they are better than my SIMGOT EW200 IEMs. The bass is better and it sounds clearer if that makes sense. I still need to play around with EQ though to see if I can make it better for me.

Excellent. What stands out to me is the timbre. Everything from voices and instruments sound so correct and natural. I'm running mine off a Qudelix 5K and it sounds a bit less aggressive vs the Pixel dongle DAC.

Last edited:
Had to pop the lid on my new headphone amp to see the beauty inside, pairs so well with the HD6XX, that headphone knows no limit to it's scaling!

IMG-20240723-235132.jpg

Last edited:
XL1 arrived today, let the listening comparison begin :cool:

HUAoAN3.jpeg

The little OLED display is clear and rather useful actually:

t7yo71u.gif

How are you getting on with the Zero 2s

Alright so thoughts on the Onix Alpha XL1 after a whole night of back to back listening between M15i and the XL1:
  • The XL1 using filter NOS (4) or Fast (1) sounds almost the same as the M15i. The M15i edges it slightly by being slightly brighter.
  • The soundstage of the XL1 is slightly closer in my head but the stereo imaging between both feel identical. Every symbol, vocals, instrument positioning from jazz to electronic to acoustic all sound full of body between both. If there's any difference then I'd say the XL1 feels more intimate for soundstage, everything is just brought a little closer, and on the Ananda Nano which is already super wide, this works really well. The M15i by comparison amplifies the wideness of the Nano.
  • The high frequency pea brightness is better controlled with the XL1, the M15i is more neutral I'd say with some smoothness - Whereas the XL1 takes away that brightness that a few songs still have even with the Voarmaks pads.
  • The master volume in Windows on the M15i at 60% and the M15i set to low gain sounds about the same loudness as the XL1 in high gain and the DAC's volume is at 66% - So the amplification of the M15i is better. I guess that's the power of Current Mode drive architecture. Both are extremely loud though and at 60-70% in these modes both are oud enough to fully enjoy everything. For movies I'd probably keep either at 70 for that cinematic experience.
  • Sub-bass between both sound identical. Extension and speed of bass kick also feels identical. I can "feel" the low rumble of Hans Zimmer's titles, for example.
  • The XL1 gets hotter than the M15i, almost twice as warm! Makes sense since there's an OLED to power, as well as being in high gain for the same loudness.
  • Neither work with my Galaxy S24 Ultra :/ The M15i only works with certain USB cables/ports on my PC/monitor's USB3 hub, I knew it was picky anyway though and have a specific cable for it anyway. XL1 seems to not care what port or cable is used.
  • I prefer how instant the audio comes on with the XL1, there is about a 1s delay with the M15i as the audio fades in on first play.
  • Some reviews on Headfi said that there's hiss in high gain with sensitive headphones. I don't hear any such thing with the Nano, so probably IEM related only.
After this back to back I see no real reason I'd want to keep the M15i really. They both sound so close and the XL1 put tighter control on the HiFiMAN brightness peak at the top end range so that's a bit of an added bonus. The screen, the options, the volume control that I can toggle between OS control of DAC control, the play/pause of whatever is playing on the PC...

BmJWGQW.gif

£87..... Quite incredible value for money the XL1 seems to be, and I now understand why a bunch of youtube reviewers put it on their top of the charts for 2024 dongle DACs (so far). Both M15i and XL1 beat the Fiio K7, Topping DX3 Pro+ and Topping MX3S easily for loudness/resolution/soundstage/stereo imaging.

Got 3 more days to file a return for the M15i, may as well get back £250 lol.

Posted about that deal above.

It’s the lowest they’ve ever been brand new from somewhere reputable in the UK I believe.

They’re a bit of a marmite headphone (how many aren’t?). So depending on what genres/content you listen to and your preferred sound signature you’ll either love them or hate them. At least with Amazon you can return them no hassle.

The headband is a bit of an issue as well as it’s not great for certain head sizes/shapes.

Last edited:
I am genuinely over the moon with the Ananda Nano, yes they did require DIY modding with the headband, and throw the stock earpads in the bin in favour of memory foam velours that are superior and naturally tune out the brightness peak which is typical for HIFiMAN planars,

As it stands now, if I ever got a headphone upgrade then it can only be go big or go home, which means Susvara. I don't know if anything else would be worth the cost over what the relatively low cost of the Nano is in its current modded state. I would not be surprised if mine now sound on level with the Arya Organic thanks to the upgraded earpads in fact.

At least with the Susvara it's the halo headphone with no real upgrade path, if you're going to go full hog, that is basically it lol. I also love the design of it with the golden yellow inner driver being visible through the grille.

Can't quite stomach buying a headphone that costs more than most used cars though..... Maybe if I sell some of my work shares one day in the future and use those profits to upgrade or something :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom