what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
I owe the soundmagic hp 100. Has been pretty nice to me & now on a look for a open headphone. Have my eye on Kennerton Odin & Final Audio Pandora, lineup of open headphone when they come out one day. Also Soundmagic if they ever release a new open headphone

Last edited:
Associate
Bloody used forums on Head-Fi...

900x900px-LL-4ca72fdf_DSC_0404-Cropped.jpeg

Associate
Nice!
And after a quick google - very nice!
Was it a good upgrade from the dac you were using before?
Certainly look the business, I'm very jealous looking through this thread again!

It's a bit early to draw any conclusions yet, but I will say that I don't think I've ever heard the LCD-2's sound this good before. Compared to my former DAC (Yulong D100 MkII), this seems a bit more bright/detailed and less thick in the mid range.

Honestly it's probably not a huge step up from the D100, especially considering the cost differential. I'm a firm believer that DAC's tend to offer the least improvement of all the various bits in your source chain (excluding expensive interconnects and other snake oil).

Associate
It's a bit early to draw any conclusions yet, but I will say that I don't think I've ever heard the LCD-2's sound this good before. Compared to my former DAC (Yulong D100 MkII), this seems a bit more bright/detailed and less thick in the mid range.

Honestly it's probably not a huge step up from the D100, especially considering the cost differential. I'm a firm believer that DAC's tend to offer the least improvement of all the various bits in your source chain (excluding expensive interconnects and other snake oil).
I'll look forward to your full review once you've had a chance to user it a bit more - just in case I win the lottery ;)
Although I think it's probably worth the money on looks alone.

if it sounds as good as it looks then you've done very well - and there's me considering a Modi :D
If it's what you want rids just buy it!
I've been going round in circles for ages looking at dacs, and I still haven't got one yet!

Associate
I'm a massive Sennheiser fan and own a pair of IE8's and HD650's. IMHO, little compares to their clarity, quality and sound stage.

I do however also own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, which I'd go as far as stating are the best pair of headphones under £200 I've ever heard. They are simply jaw-dropping for the price.

Particularly looking forward to seeing what the new Sennheiser Momentum IEMs have to offer.

:)

Soldato
Kingston HyperX cloud....

I got them when they were on special offer for £53.

They sound OK I suppose, certainly didn't blow me away like the reviews led me to believe but I was so used to using crap headphones previously that I doubt I'd know a really good pair from bad anymore TBH.

Bah!!! who am I kidding, I really only bought them because the red & black colouring matched all my other bits..:)

Associate
I'll look forward to your full review once you've had a chance to user it a bit more - just in case I win the lottery ;)
Although I think it's probably worth the money on looks alone.

I do like how it looks ;)

As for some more detailed impressions, it'll be a while before I put anything on paper. I've also got a few other bits and pieces I've promised other people write ups on (Fidelio L2 and Viso HP50 are next).

I have an STX and an Aune T1 tube DAC/Amp at the moment but I'm trying to decide between:

1) Use the T1 DAC and pair it with an Asgard 2

2) Schiit Modi and Vali

Decisions decisions :D

Out of those two options I'd sooner go for 1 over 2. The Vali imo is nothing special (I still own one...). It got a lot of hype on Head-Fi (thanks to a certain Schiit shilling individual) but I don't really think it's deserved. It's a fairly neutral sounding hybrid design, and doesn't really exhibit much of the 'typical tube sound'. Which then begs the question, if you want a cheap neutral sounding amp, why not get the Magni or an O2 variant instead?

The Asgard 2 is a nice bit of kit. More than enough power for most headphones and it's got a nice warmth to it that the Magni and O2 lack.

If you want another option, take a look at the Matrix Mini-i (not the Pro which is a bit more expensive). It is a very solid product for the money. A very good DAC section and the built in amp is decent as well.

Soldato
Kingston HyperX cloud....

I got them when they were on special offer for £53.

They sound OK I suppose, certainly didn't blow me away like the reviews led me to believe but I was so used to using crap headphones previously that I doubt I'd know a really good pair from bad anymore TBH.

Bah!!! who am I kidding, I really only bought them because the red & black colouring matched all my other bits..:)

I think the blow people away is just referring to other options at that price point in the "gaming" realm.

ScottiB didn't really like the bass on them I didn't mind it I wasn't too fussed by them and felt that in comparison to the Qpad 1339 on my desk at the time they were an excellent option for 1/4 the price.

They aren't "blow you away change your life good" they are just better than most of the offerings around that price point and certainly for people who are considering a "gaming headset" a step in the right direction without breaking the bank and whilst confirming to most of the needs set out in their target market. (closed/microphone on a boom/light/not overpriced) You get a stellar product for your £53 and you shouldn't need to upgrade for some time. Sadly when you do come to upgrade it's going to cost you.

Soldato
they just get better as you get used to them

Was unsure as a lot of people say not much difference in terms of sound quality between them. But after listening for a bit they are a great overall improvement, nice tight bass instead of the loose bass of the X1's(didn't understand what people meant when they said this before) especially when eq'd a tiny bit.

Associate
I do like how it looks ;)

As for some more detailed impressions, it'll be a while before I put anything on paper. I've also got a few other bits and pieces I've promised other people write ups on (Fidelio L2 and Viso HP50 are next).
No rush, my lottery win still looks a way off ;)

rids57 said:
I have an STX and an Aune T1 tube DAC/Amp at the moment but I'm trying to decide between:

1) Use the T1 DAC and pair it with an Asgard 2

2) Schiit Modi and Vali

Decisions decisions :D

Out of those two options I'd sooner go for 1 over 2. The Vali imo is nothing special (I still own one...). It got a lot of hype on Head-Fi (thanks to a certain Schiit shilling individual) but I don't really think it's deserved. It's a fairly neutral sounding hybrid design, and doesn't really exhibit much of the 'typical tube sound'. Which then begs the question, if you want a cheap neutral sounding amp, why not get the Magni or an O2 variant instead?

The Asgard 2 is a nice bit of kit. More than enough power for most headphones and it's got a nice warmth to it that the Magni and O2 lack.

If you want another option, take a look at the Matrix Mini-i (not the Pro which is a bit more expensive). It is a very solid product for the money. A very good DAC section and the built in amp is decent as well.

Aww, I've got a Vali :( Although you missed the key reason to get it over the Magni is that it'll keep your hands warm in the winter ;)
And curse you for mentioning the Matrix Mini, that's something else that's on my DAC list now. I'm getting further away from making a decision every time I look at the internet :confused:

Back
Top Bottom