what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Out of those two options I'd sooner go for 1 over 2. The Vali imo is nothing special (I still own one...). It got a lot of hype on Head-Fi (thanks to a certain Schiit shilling individual) but I don't really think it's deserved. It's a fairly neutral sounding hybrid design, and doesn't really exhibit much of the 'typical tube sound'. Which then begs the question, if you want a cheap neutral sounding amp, why not get the Magni or an O2 variant instead?

The Asgard 2 is a nice bit of kit. More than enough power for most headphones and it's got a nice warmth to it that the Magni and O2 lack.

If you want another option, take a look at the Matrix Mini-i (not the Pro which is a bit more expensive). It is a very solid product for the money. A very good DAC section and the built in amp is decent as well.

Soldato
Just read your reply, trouble is I ordered Modi & Vali about an hour before you posted on Tuesday :D

It will do just fine for me, my hearing isn't as good as it once was so I'm not aiming too high up the hi-fi ladder - besides, I've got the fidgets for a GTX 970 or two :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Aww, I've got a Vali :( Although you missed the key reason to get it over the Magni is that it'll keep your hands warm in the winter ;)
And curse you for mentioning the Matrix Mini, that's something else that's on my DAC list now. I'm getting further away from making a decision every time I look at the internet :confused:

Haha sorry for the added confusion ;)

Just to spin you around some more, the Fostex HP-A4 is also a very good DAC/amp (not the most powerful amp but as a DAC it's brilliant). The FiiO X5 is also another solid option, works pretty well as a DAP (not the best UI or button layout) but I find myself using it more as a portable USB DAC/amp for my laptop when I'm travelling for work. Finally one product that has caught my eye recently is the Ifi Nano iDSD, a very high res DAC/amp combo that has been getting a bit of praise.

The mid-fi market is a very nice place to be in right now :)

Just read your reply, trouble is I ordered Modi & Vali about an hour before you posted on Tuesday :D

It will do just fine for me, my hearing isn't as good as it once was so I'm not aiming too high up the hi-fi ladder - besides, I've got the fidgets for a GTX 970 or two :cool:

Ah no worries, it's not a terrible amp by any means. I probably have some negative bias towards it as well due to the initial batch (mine including mine) had some serious microphonics issues due to poor physical dampening of the tubes. The new ones now ship with sorbothane pads to reduce the length of the ringing sound that occurs when you turn it on/plug headphones in/tap the chassis/bump the table/etc...

Also don't bother using IEM's with the Vali, the noise floor becomes far too noticeable.

Soldato
I've already got about six hours on the little stack so far and am actually extremely impressed.

Initially I had a problem with the Modi, it was picking up a lot of interference but I solved that by moving my router - totally silent now.

The Vali initially had awful channel imbalance, I had to push the MusicBee balance slider 40% to the right to centre things up. Strange thing is after a couple of hours that had dropped to 20% and it's now at 10% and still dropping, so I'm hoping that it will disappear after a little more burn in.

As for microphonics, I have a very small amount but it only happens when I first put the headphone jack in or really thump the case and disappears after 5 to 10 seconds anyway.

Absolutely loving the sound, compared with the Aune and the STX the bass is a lot punchier and cleaner and while the midrange isn't quite as smooth and creamy as with the Aune (with Mullard 6DJ8), it is a lot more detailed. I think it's the highs that have made the most difference, they are more detailed, crisper and cleaner than the Aune and much smoother than the STX. Overall the M & V stack seems to be a really good match for the HD 650's and because of that I haven't stopped grinning. :D

As for what headphones I'll use, it will just be the HD 650, AKG K702 and DT 990 pro, all of which are high impedance so no worries about the noise floor.

I think I'm going to be very happy with this setup for quite some time.

Caporegime
I've already got about six hours on the little stack so far and am actually extremely impressed.

Initially I had a problem with the Modi, it was picking up a lot of interference but I solved that by moving my router - totally silent now.

The Vali initially had awful channel imbalance, I had to push the MusicBee balance slider 40% to the right to centre things up. Strange thing is after a couple of hours that had dropped to 20% and it's now at 10% and still dropping, so I'm hoping that it will disappear after a little more burn in.

As for microphonics, I have a very small amount but it only happens when I first put the headphone jack in or really thump the case and disappears after 5 to 10 seconds anyway.

Absolutely loving the sound, compared with the Aune and the STX the bass is a lot punchier and cleaner and while the midrange isn't quite as smooth and creamy as with the Aune (with Mullard 6DJ8), it is a lot more detailed. I think it's the highs that have made the most difference, they are more detailed, crisper and cleaner than the Aune and much smoother than the STX. Overall the M & V stack seems to be a really good match for the HD 650's and because of that I haven't stopped grinning. :D

As for what headphones I'll use, it will just be the HD 650, AKG K702 and DT 990 pro, all of which are high impedance so no worries about the noise floor.

What you gonna do with the AUNE T1?

Associate

As long as your happy, that's all that really matters :)

If you do continue to have channel imbalance issues, send it back for a replacement. Usually it's just an issue with one of the tubes but since they're soldered on they're a pita to replace (and I believe Schiit will void the warranty if you try). If you got yours from Electromod, just email Mark, he's a pretty decent guy.

maj

maj

Soldato
Wish I knew someone who had the Modi & Vali stick so I can hear them together in person. They've been on my wanted list for months.

Associate
Finally picked up some balanced cables :)

900x900px-LL-ed511978_DSC_0551.jpeg

900x900px-LL-63000e51_DSC_0542.jpeg

Soldato
I know that balanced is mostly useful in studios for recording as it apparently reduces the susceptibility to noise but for short runs in an audiophile setup I'm somewhat sceptical.

Associate
How do you guys make up your mind on a pair of headphones before buying??
I have my eye on either the HD 650's or HD 600.
But could really do with listening first.

There are probably a pair suited for me, but it's difficult to seek them out.

Soldato
Probably easier to start a new thread

What are your listening preferences? ie. type of music, are you a bass head, that kind of thing.

Also, what are your source components going to be? ie. PC, soundcard, DAC, Amp, etc.

Associate
How do you guys make up your mind on a pair of headphones before buying??
I have my eye on either the HD 650's or HD 600.
But could really do with listening first.

There are probably a pair suited for me, but it's difficult to seek them out.

Both are excellent. The HD650 is warmer, mellower with a more fluffy low end. It's quite bassy with a very nice mid range. It's detailed and quite accurate with it's image. Vocals are fantastic but for faster music it's not the best.

The HD600 is warm but not as warm. Mids sound more balanced with the bass and treble. It's lush, warm and relaxing to listen to. It has a better sense of speed and snap than the 650. I think technically the 650 is more resolving but the HD600 is more extended in the treble. They are similar, I think the HD600 is a better all rounder though but I prefer the HD650. I do like listening to the HD600 more though as it's more genre friendly.

Back
Top Bottom