what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Finally picked up some balanced cables :)

900x900px-LL-ed511978_DSC_0551.jpeg

900x900px-LL-63000e51_DSC_0542.jpeg

Looking to get a new cable for my hd800. I find the cable is to long on the stock one and gets twisted. Do you have any experience with toxic cables as they're the cheapest I've found for a shorter cable :D

Associate
Looking to get a new cable for my hd800. I find the cable is to long on the stock one and gets twisted. Do you have any experience with toxic cables as they're the cheapest I've found for a shorter cable :D

I've never bought any from him but the guy that makes them has a decent rep. I think you could probably get the cables slightly cheaper from bestintheverse (even with shipping from the US), you may have to wait a while though.

Associate
Hello mate
I think I payed about £40 import duty
I recommend the crack as you can change the sound with all the different tubes you can try.....lots tubes !
If you do get one buy a tunsol 5998 tube.
I think with the mainline the tubes are very limited for rolling but i bet it sounds great though,
good fun building it and the instructions are excellent, And it sounds extra special as youve built it yourself :) oh and The mk caps are a good upgrade

Yes the badge lo :0 you would think they would give you it with the amp :) I've still not got round to finishing the case yet so havent put it on

peace

Associate
ninja... I've just seen you own the hd800 too :)
I'd skip the crack for the hd800's mate .....dont get me wrong sounds nice but think needs a different better amp with more volts for hd800 ....if you like more bass that is weighty sound, I'm looking at new amps now and I'm still undecided if I'll keep em ....I still like the crack and hd600s best for my types of music listening ( mp3s feed from a computer and youtube music radio stations.
sounds good with hd600 crack this does. Hd800s only come out when I'm in the mood lol

Associate
ninja... I've just seen you own the hd800 too :)
I'd skip the crack for the hd800's mate .....dont get me wrong sounds nice but think needs a different better amp with more volts for hd800 ....if you like more bass that is weighty sound, I'm looking at new amps now and I'm still undecided if I'll keep em ....I still like the crack and hd600s best for my types of music listening ( mp3s feed from a computer and youtube music radio stations.
sounds good with hd600 crack this does. Hd800s only come out when I'm in the mood lol

Yeah I've tried the Crack on multiple occasions (that just sounds wrong...) and it's a decent piece of kit especially with the speedball upgrade installed.

If you like a bit more bass presence on the HD 800, I would highly recommend you look into the Anax 2.0 mod (it's very simple and easily reversible).

If you have a budget in mind for an amp, I could give you some suggestions. Are you looking at sticking with tubes or going SS?

Associate
I did read a little over on headfi and changstar about the mod but I'm bit lost on what materials to buy over here ninja.
do you have any links suggestions on what materials to buy ?
I'm not sure about amps yet mate ....They sound so thin with no weight and I cant see them changing that much... maybe I;m wrong.
Plus I'm only using them on a computer soundcard (creative ZxR) ....some tracks sound amazing though :) yes maybe the hd800s is an overkill for my computer :)
Even upping the bass with eq the bass weight is still missing ....my old hd600 have more weight and slam with my crack amp. I think sennheiser failed a bit with the hd800 :p
I did try the hd700 and t90 in a shop though, they sounded too bright I did love the comfort on the hd700's ...comfort is number 1 when i buy headphones.

yeah my crack amp has the speedball upgrade and mk film caps...and did try a very expensive volume pot. have loads of tubes but still looking for that gec :) at a good price! you can spend more money on tubes than the amp itself :p but its good fun though

Peace

edit .
I just changed my philips miniwatt tube for a mullard cv491 and the bass is bit better now more fuller sound ..I did try this tube when I first got my hd800s but its sounds way different now :p
still though these headphones dont make me feel all grovvy like my hd600s do :D

Last edited:
Associate
I did read a little over on headfi and changstar about the mod but I'm bit lost on what materials to buy over here ninja.
do you have any links suggestions on what materials to buy ?
I'm not sure about amps yet mate ....They sound so thin with no weight and I cant see them changing that much... maybe I;m wrong.
Plus I'm only using them on a computer soundcard (creative ZxR) ....some tracks sound amazing though :) yes maybe the hd800s is an overkill for my computer :)
Even upping the bass with eq the bass weight is still missing ....my old hd600 have more weight and slam with my crack amp. I think sennheiser failed a bit with the hd800 :p
I did try the hd700 and t90 in a shop though, they sounded too bright I did love the comfort on the hd700's ...comfort is number 1 when i buy headphones.

yeah my crack amp has the speedball upgrade and mk film caps...and did try a very expensive volume pot. have loads of tubes but still looking for that gec :) at a good price! you can spend more money on tubes than the amp itself :p but its good fun though

Peace

edit .
I just changed my philips miniwatt tube for a mullard cv491 and the bass is bit better now more fuller sound ..I did try this tube when I first got my hd800s but its sounds way different now :p
still though these headphones dont make me feel all grovvy like my hd600s do :D

Not sure what materials you would get from the UK (I bought the linked items from the Changstar thread when I was still living in the US). Essentially you could use any kind of thicker shelf/drawer liner plus some thin foam sheets.

If you mainly use the HD 800's out of your ZxR that's definitely not ideal. My suggestion for a decent amp would be the Violectric V200 (you can find them on Thomann and there might be a few used ones on HF now that the V220 has come out). It's a very nice, powerful, smooth, and warm amp especially considering it's an SS design. It matches very well with the HD 800's inherently bright nature and while it won't make it sound like a completely new headphone, it does help to inject a little warmth. I'll likely pick up it's successor (V281) next year to see how it performs (the hype train on Head Fi is in full throttle at the moment...).

Associate
thanks for that ninja I'll look around the shops tomorrow if I can :)
I fitted some new pads and headband padding to my old hd600 today and It changed the sound,
my old ear pads were really worn down , It feels way more comfy now but have less bass :D
Also I won a pair like new hd595 just a min ago on ebay USA :) I had the old 120ohm version for years and loved them ..more than my hd600's! so that be fun when they arrive

thanks for the amp recommendation

Peace

Soldato
What did it come in at and which part of the set up has made the biggest difference?

Schiit Gungnir USB $850
Schiit Mjolnir $750
Q-Audio Silk Cable $250
Audeze LCD-3F $1945

I paid with dollars that I had bought at 1.7 earlier in the year so total was about £2200.

I upgraded from a Bifrost and Lyr powering Q701s which sounded excellent but this quite a bit better all round.
To me it sounds as good as the 40 odd grand speaker system I listened to at a Hi-Fi store just without the full body bass that you get from subs.
The biggest difference has to be the headphones, they sound amazing even at low levels from an iPhone.
Not quite as warm sounding as tubes though but very accurate and lets the headphones do the talking.
The Q-Audio cable is very nice, I bought it for the silk feel rather than the stock rubber ribbon and to minimise any microphonics that the stock cable is bad at.
I am going to mod my Q701s to a balanced cable also so I can try them out with the new setup and will probably then be selling the Bifrost and Lyr.

daz

daz

Soldato
Excellent. That's not ridiculous if you consider that (hopefully) you'll not need to ever upgrade... :p (but I think we know that it's unlikely.... ;))

Back
Top Bottom